feature requests

Online Subscription Service (Comic Book Forums)

• Online Subscription Service

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 29, 2018 3:27:23 am
  • Hopefully i'm posting this in the right area....

Just curious if anyone uses one of the internet comic book subscription services that offers discounts to pre-ordering books. Seems like some of them offer some pretty good discounts but sometimes that's not always a good thing.

I'm interested in knowing what site/online service you use and your feedback/experience is with that particular company.

• Posted: December 30, 2018 8:31:33 am
  • My first mail subscription I ordered last year is just about to run out. I was curious too for the same reason and getting about 40% off was very enticing. I ordered ASM and X-Men Red. I still purchased these titles at my LCS because I'm impatient. The subscription issues arrive about 3 or 4 weeks after they hit the shelves. They come in a clear bag (of lesser quality that I would bag my own comics) that was sometimes difficult to open without causing some sort of damage when trying to open it. I suggest using scissors or an exacto knife to simply slice the top open. Besides the comic, the bag also includes a thin piece of cardboard (also thinner than I would board my books) to hide the cover and has shipping and additional subscription info on it. It also says "Please Do Not Bend," but your comic will never arrive M/NM. If you're just looking to follow a title or storyline, it's great. If you're hardcore and want everything in the best possible condition, keep going to your LCS. One last thing, of the 24 issues I was due from my order, I have one more coming to me, but I think maybe one or two got lost in the mail because I've moved since they started coming in. Hope this helped.
  • Posted: December 30, 2018 12:00:20 pm
  • Thanks for your posting SplatterWeb2!! I appreciate it.

Do you mind me asking what was the service you used?
  • Posted: December 30, 2018 3:38:41 pm
  • I used https://www.dcbservice.com/ before and liked them
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: January 12, 2019 10:28:15 am
  • thanks dough boy!!

It sounds like to stopped using them. Is there a particular reason?

Did you have them bag and board them as part of the service?
  • Posted: January 12, 2019 10:36:36 am
  • I did stop, but that is because I cut way back on my order.

I didn't have them bagged and boarded, I am cheap. Smile
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: January 12, 2019 11:48:00 am
  • I use midtowncomics. 35% off issues if you pre-order (a couple months in advance). The discount is a must for me given my volume of monthly orders. Different shipping options, but I elect for biweekly, so i get my issues every two weeks (so some of them are a week old, some are a few days old). Typically a set will arrive on Saturday, combining that weeks with the previous weeks. All are bagged and boarded (this is just part of the price, not an option), and the bags are the resealable type, which makes my life.

All in all I would recommend, though if there ever is an issue their customer service leaves a bit to be desired. I don't have issues too often though.
  • Posted: January 13, 2019 11:19:47 am
  • I use:

https://www.atomicempire.com/

I get over 40 titles, although not all count towards their discount, so the amount I save is well over the cost of shipping. The reason I like these guys is the website is very well laid out making it easy to subscribe to titles, and they also bag/board for free. And the bags/boards are the silver age kind you'd normally buy, they're not cheap.

They ship very well and I rarely have any damage....if there IS damage, you can send them a pic and they send out replacement copies or credit you.

The website makes it easy to even choose which cover you want or you can subscribe to a group of titles easily (i.e. subscribe to all X-men titles).
  • Posted: January 17, 2019 1:24:03 am
  • Thanks for the info Abysslord and Tex74555!!

I appreciate it. I ordered some from dcbservice but I'm definitely going to check out the other 2 you guys mentioned. I'm all about saving money!! Especially now with comics costing $4+ and not to mention all the variant covers......
  • Posted: January 18, 2019 7:45:48 am
  • Kinky_Jazzer said:
    Thanks for the info Abysslord and Tex74555!!

I appreciate it. I ordered some from dcbservice but I'm definitely going to check out the other 2 you guys mentioned. I'm all about saving money!! Especially now with comics costing $4+ and not to mention all the variant covers......

I agree. My local comic shop franchise around here doesn't offer any benefit if you have a pull list. I just don't get that, do they not realize these subscription places make it so much more affordable? I would easily go to them if they would even do 20% for a pull list [with greater than X amount of titles]. I currently get 25% off and used to get 35%.

The place I linked is actually a physical store too so it's not like only non-stores can survive doing this.

Last edited January 18, 2019 7:47:27 am
  • Posted: January 25, 2019 1:39:13 am
  • The only thing you probably miss out on when using the online service is picking the variant covers (which is something that threw me for a loop when I went to the comic book store for the first time in 15-20 years).

That and I'm worried about the shipping of the books and what condition they will arrive in with no bag/board.

But the online service definitely lets you get more titles/books when you save 35-50% off.

• Posted: January 25, 2019 6:46:17 am
  • You can pick variant covers at Atomic Empire. You can bid on the incentive covers as well.

As for the condition W/O bag/board, not sure. But they bag/board for free and I rarely have problems with damaged comics. If they do get damaged it's just a tiny bent corner and most new books are never going to be worth anything anyway.

BUT, if you do get damaged you can send them a note and they'll take care of it. I do pay for expedited shipping which includes insurance so it's possible that policy is different with basic shipping. But, with the expedited shipping I get my comics on a Friday, a measly two days later than the shop.
  • Posted: February 3, 2019 1:36:23 pm
  • Abysslord said:
    Kinky_Jazzer said:
    Thanks for the info Abysslord and Tex74555!!I appreciate it. I ordered some from dcbservice but I'm definitely going to check out the other 2 you guys mentioned. I'm all about saving money!! Especially now with comics costing $4+ and not to mention all the variant covers......
    I agree. My local comic shop franchise around here doesn't offer any benefit if you have a pull list. I just don't get that, do they not realize these subscription places make it so much more affordable? I would easily go to them if they would even do 20% for a pull list [with greater than X amount of titles]. I currently get 25% off and used to get 35%.The place I linked is actually a physical store too so it's not like only non-stores can survive doing this.

I wonder about this too Abyss. I actually talked to the owners of my local shop. I told them i wanted to move my business to them, but I needed the same 35% discount as my online dealer, due to the number of comics per month. (Around 120+ issues). They said they just couldn't offer that kind of discount. Too bad, because I would have loved to support local.
  • Posted: February 3, 2019 8:21:55 pm
  • That is silly. They get 55% off of comics. They would still be making 20%. Even if they only gave you 30% off still a 25% profit.

• Posted: February 4, 2019 7:54:59 am
  • dough boy said:
    That is silly. They get 55% off of comics. They would still be making 20%. Even if they only gave you 30% off still a 25% profit.

Exactly. Even if they're afraid of opening the doors and letting a bunch of people do it, same thing .... as long as you don't get a huge amount of people ordering up issues and then not showing up you're probably okay [and even then, back issues can still sell].

• Posted: February 4, 2019 8:04:22 am
  • Well and if that is all they are worried about have someone "prepay" or leave a deposit.

• Posted: February 4, 2019 8:35:20 am
  • Maybe they need >35% profit to come out even after paying for everything else so that's why they can't do it. If they do it for one, "everyone" will do it and they may not get enough new people to balance out. I don't know.
  • Posted: February 12, 2019 9:25:32 pm
  • Yup, I'd be the first to admit I wouldn't know the economics, but i also know I couldn't afford to buy my bulk there without the discount (that's to say nothing of the free bags and boards and convenience of being shipped to my house...)
18 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 50 years, 314 days, 12 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Dark Horse Comics's B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know Issue # 14
  • Bloomsbury's Going into Town: A Love Letter to New York TPB # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Man: Life Story Issue # 1d
  • AyeDee Studio's The Changeling Issue # 1b
CBR.com member auction items ?