feature requests

METAL/ROCK and Comics (Comic Book Forums)

• METAL/ROCK and Comics

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 4:12:14 am
  • Hope this is the right area for this...
    It seems that comics are constantly becoming ever more evident in pop culture and crossover to other medias, not unlike metal/rock. This is a forum for all of us who are big fans of both. It seems like if I meet a fan of one they normally are a fan of the other. We aren't the only ones. Some metal/rock musicians will put references or themes into their songs as will other media return the favour to the music industry. So what are some of your favourite crossovers? These are just a few examples:

MUSIC
    Monster Magnet: Baby Gotterdammerung
    Monster Magnet: Negasonic Teenage Warhead (the character was named after this song)
    Anthrax: I Am The Law
    Woodhawk: A New Hope (personally I am not huge into Star Wars but this song is so kick A$$ in my opinion that I hope you look it up and enjoy it)

Other Music:

Hellraiser: (your choice) Ozzy or Lemmy (Motorhead)

guess this is a good place to put this Anthrax collaborated with John Carpenter for the soundtrack to Ghosts of Mars (2001)

Comics

Rock n Roll Comis (Revolutionary)
    Slayer: Repentless
    KISS (various)
    Alice Cooper (various)

These are just a quick few that I hope you check out , I will probably be adding more and I hope you do the same. My hopes are that everyone can discuss and hopefully discover new music or comics. And always keep on rockin' \m/
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 10:24:48 am
  • I've been a Metalhead longer than a comic book fan. I agree that many Metal bands love their comic books. I've heard the songs you mentioned before, but you forgot a bunch.
    Monster Magnet also has a song called "Ego, The Living Planet". Anthrax has had the mighty Alex Ross draw their album covers for over a decade. Artist Simon Bisley has done quite a few Album covers too.
    I've been meaning to make a list of comic book "songs" for a while. We will see.
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 11:15:03 am
  • Joe Satriani, Surfing With the Alien.

Not really metal by today's standards but back in the 80's I would say it was metal. Bon Jovi was considered metal in the 80's so Satriani has gotta count lol.
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 10:24:29 pm
  • Let's not forget the Ramones with Spider-man and Helmet with Gigantor!
    “I don't wear white to hide myself. I wear it so they'll see me coming. So they'll know who it is. 'Cause when they see the white, it doesn't matter how good of a target I am. Their hands shake so bad, they couldn't hit the moon.”
  • Posted: October 31, 2018 12:06:48 am
  • When I was in the Marine Corps as a younger man, Metal was my fuel! Dancing
    Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Ozzy, Megadeth, Anthrax. . .great music for kids with guns.

Thor by Manowar. Not sure if it's about the comic or not. Still a bada$$ song.
    Then a little more recent there's Rob Zombie's War Zone about the Punisher.

Last edited October 31, 2018 12:07:39 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 31, 2018 9:36:13 am
  • Megadeath put out a couple issues, with stories based off their songs.
     photo Facebook Button 002_zps8instmyn.png photo Facebook Button_zpsawn72nqb.png photo Ebay Link CBR_zpsyrvhphln.png
  • Posted: October 31, 2018 9:55:34 pm
  • https://youtu.be/uNi0tsCU-6g
    I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do best is buy/sell comics.
  • Posted: October 31, 2018 11:28:49 pm
  • Great stuff.
    Thanks logerine, can't believe I forgot Entombed. The album booklet is literally partly a comic.
    Also great link RipTorn. It mentions Gwar comics and the reason I didn't, even a huge fan of theirs, is I sadly do not have any of there comics so it slipped my mind when I was writing my original post and looking through my collection. Those are definitely being added to my must get list. Also discovered they had a 2017 run too which I was actually unaware of. This post is definitely paying off. Also check their video for Viking Death Machine is very reminiscent of Wacky Races by Hanna Barbera (nice tribute to Oderus at the end too).
    brucifer, Monster Magnet seems to have a knack for comic songs eh? Hope this post maybe gets that list together a bit more cause I have had similar ideas (one of the reasons I posted to begin with).

\m/
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 10:16:39 am
  • Another one if you are interested, in adding to your collection (if not already) are the Verotik comics made by Glenn Danzig back in the 90's.
    “I don't wear white to hide myself. I wear it so they'll see me coming. So they'll know who it is. 'Cause when they see the white, it doesn't matter how good of a target I am. Their hands shake so bad, they couldn't hit the moon.”
  • Posted: November 2, 2018 8:14:25 pm
  • Here's a promo comic that I own.

Last edited November 2, 2018 8:15:02 pm
  • Posted: November 2, 2018 8:17:43 pm
  • I'm not really a Kiss fan, but I like their crossover into comics. I own this which is the size of a wall poster. One of the largest comics ever produced.

• Posted: November 2, 2018 8:23:00 pm
  • These weren't the greatest quality, but some are still cool.

• Posted: November 3, 2018 2:02:26 am
  • Nice.
    While cataloguing my comics came across an ad for Shadowman #19 which has an Aerosmith appearance.
  • Posted: November 3, 2018 3:43:00 pm
  • Poruchny said:
    Nice.
    While cataloguing my comics came across an ad for Shadowman #19 which has an Aerosmith appearance.

I have that one. Their lawyer who owned part of the company used to be an entertainment lawyer who represented Aerosmith & Greg Alman prior to Valiant being started. He died 11 years ago. .
  • Posted: November 5, 2018 1:19:38 pm
  • There was an Image book released a few weeks ago I believe called Murder Falcon #1 where the variant cover is an homage to Judas Priest' Painkiller album.

And on a side note, this weekend looking through some $1 boxes at my LCS I came across a few issues of the Megadeth books that someone mentioned. I thought about it for about .001 seconds and kept flipping.

Last edited November 5, 2018 2:47:08 pm
  • Posted: November 5, 2018 3:58:19 pm
  • Marvel put out some really cool rock album variants last year. The GNR Appetite homage on the Inhumans book is pretty sick.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/19/marvel-announces-rock-variants-september/
    There is a sweet Night of the Living Deadpool cover variant as well, that is a take off of the Beatles Abbey Road.
  • Posted: November 7, 2018 8:22:16 pm
  • I was listening to the classic rock station on my way home from work today and heard this song. This was actually the first time hearing it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUT9KQ-LuaU
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 2:26:02 am
  • Wow Spector, long time since I heard that one! Slightly off topic here, and certainly not metal, but Superman's Song by the Crash Test Dummies has always been a favorite of mine.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 10:11:45 am
  • You have to upload to a host that allows reposting and then you just use standard BB Code tags around the link to the picture. I have to trick the board into showing the tags, but it should look similar to this when composing a message.

[img]https:///66.media.tumblr.com/6f90d3075e64884ca7722b6975bf277a/tumblr_phvvqc6IHL1rl13p0o1_540.jpg[/img]

"[img]" goes before the image path link

"[/img]" goes after the image path link.

If I post that link above without tricking the board into showing the tags, you get this.

Last edited November 8, 2018 10:46:44 am
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 10:44:36 am
  • Cripes, just because I'm a geek in several areas it doesn't mean I'm great with this kind of stuff. There has to be an easier way... *frustrated*
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 10:49:36 am
  • Morgayne said:
    Cripes, just because I'm a geek in several areas it doesn't mean I'm great with this kind of stuff. There has to be an easier way... *frustrated*

www.tinypic.com is easy. You upload an image and it gives you the link with the tags already put in the right spot. You just copy and paste.

If you upload there, you'll see this after you do. Just copy the text from the box I have marked in a blue box.

Paste it in the compose window and you'll see the image.

Last edited November 8, 2018 10:58:38 am
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 11:24:21 am

Like this?

This is the issue I have, getting back to the topic of the post.
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 11:33:16 am
  • Big Boss said:

www.tinypic.com is easy. You upload an image and it gives you the link with the tags already put in the right spot. You just copy and paste.

Thank you so much for your help! Prepare for an onslaught of photos!
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 12:56:42 pm
  • Morgayne said:
    Big Boss said:

It is owned by photobucket which I hate. The images may also have a limited life span. To keep conversations more interesting, I think it may be a big help.

• Posted: November 8, 2018 1:00:33 pm
  • Morgayne said:

Like this?

This is the issue I have, getting back to the topic of the post.

That's neat. I didn't know a Go-Go's member was featured in a comic.
    If it was Susanna Hoffs from the Bangles, I'd be actively looking for a copy.
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 1:52:14 pm
  • Not sure if this is within the same subject area but I sort of enjoy seeing when comic book artists work on album art. Simon Bisley has done album covers for Danzig and Gwar. Greg Capullo did the "Follow The Leader" album for Korn. Jack Kirby drew the Silver Surfer on the album cover for Joe Satriani's "Surfing With The Alien". I always feel like that sort of stuff opens people up to a taste of the comic book world.

This other one I recall is a little strange but sort of related. Neil Gaiman based one of the Sandman characters, Delirium, off Tori Amos (yeah she must be crazy in real life). She’s not really metal or rock, but I guess her earlier stuff had more of a rock sound.

Last edited November 8, 2018 1:52:26 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 2:24:00 pm
  • Morgayne said:
    Big Boss said:

You've created a monster Big Boss
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 3:06:01 pm
  • MacheteF7 said:

No one asked for your input on this... =P
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 4:16:08 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:

This other one I recall is a little strange but sort of related. Neil Gaiman based one of the Sandman characters, Delirium, off Tori Amos (yeah she must be crazy in real life). She’s not really metal or rock, but I guess her earlier stuff had more of a rock sound.

I am not ashamed to say, but Tori has some great music in her arsenal. Back in the 90's I saw her play a small venue for the Dew Drop Inn tour with a bunch of friends and it was a really great performance. I had no idea about the Gaiman connection, so great info on that one!
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 5:02:53 pm
  • MacheteF7 said:
    Morgayne said:
    Big Boss said:

We collect comics. We want pictures!

Last edited November 8, 2018 5:04:38 pm
  • Posted: November 19, 2018 3:29:37 pm
  • Holy Spaghetti! There is a metal Spawn themed album out there!
    I ran across this just now looking for something unrelated.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Saga
34 posts • Page 1 of 4
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 48 years, 188 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • KaBOOM!'s Adventure Time Season 11 Issue # 2
  • Kodansha Comics's Aho-Girl (A Clueless Girl) Soft Cover # 9
  • After-Shock Comics's Brothers Dracul TPB # 1
  • Wild Angels Publishing's Original Sin: Gunfighters in Hell Saga Issue # 3