feature requests

Second appearances (Comic Book Forums)

• Second appearances

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 11:05:34 am
  • stormraider said:
    junobeach said:
    Lets not forget Wolverine's second appearance is worth 4-5 times more than his first.

Only because they redefined cameo appearances. Back in the day, cameos didn't count.
    Not true, Incredible Hulk #180 always was the first appearance of Wolverine and the price used to reflect that in Overstreet. Then people decided #181 was more important since it had him on the cover and throughout the story. The term 'first full appearance' was created.

Now look at Darkseid's first app in Jimmy Olsen. That has always been considered his first app even though it's definitely a cameo.
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 10:17:13 pm
  • There are certainly different avenues in viewing a characters fist appearance...from cameo, to first true appearance, first solo story, ....heck there is even when the character was a baby noted as an appearance, a la' Normie and Nathan.
    Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't there also a cameo "in the shadows" appearance noted on some books?
    Lots of great feedback and knowledge here for sure!

Last edited November 1, 2018 10:18:49 pm
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: November 2, 2018 9:42:40 am
  • Another one that always gets a lot of controversy is the first appearance of the alien symbiote (Spider-Man). It was Secret Wars #8 where the story line began, so chronologically it's first. But that issue was published months after the black costume appeared in three issues published in the same month. The Amazing Spider-Man #252 , The Spectacular Spider-Man #90, and Marvel Team-Up #141. Web of Spider-Man #1 is also a contender. I remember back in the 80s and 90s most people agreed Secret Wars #8 was the one to get. Today most are saying it's one of the others mentioned–but all have held up well in value. My favorite is Secret Wars #8 mainly because of where it falls chronologically and when they publish the symbiote stories in trade paperback that issue always starts first. Also because of Mike Zeck being involved in that issue (since he was responsible for the actual design of the costume).

Last edited November 2, 2018 9:43:48 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: November 2, 2018 7:49:07 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:
    Another one that always gets a lot of controversy is the first appearance of the alien symbiote (Spider-Man). It was Secret Wars #8 where the story line began, so chronologically it's first. But that issue was published months after the black costume appeared in three issues published in the same month. The Amazing Spider-Man #252 , The Spectacular Spider-Man #90, and Marvel Team-Up #141. Web of Spider-Man #1 is also a contender. I remember back in the 80s and 90s most people agreed Secret Wars #8 was the one to get. Today most are saying it's one of the others mentioned–but all have held up well in value. My favorite is Secret Wars #8 mainly because of where it falls chronologically and when they publish the symbiote stories in trade paperback that issue always starts first. Also because of Mike Zeck being involved in that issue (since he was responsible for the actual design of the costume).

Great job on pointing that out. I have to agree with you on Secret Wars being the first (at least in my mind). After all, the costume itself originated in that book. Haha, oh yeah, the Marvel Age sneak peek too...but it hasn't really held its own. But, Marvel Age 12 did come out a couple of months prior to Secret wars. Just sayin'.
  • Posted: November 2, 2018 8:08:17 pm
  • I think of older stuff when 2nd appearances are mentioned.
    Here are some I'm happy to own.

• Posted: November 2, 2018 9:00:01 pm
  • Yep, the older books hold that value well in second appearances. Sweet collection. I have eyeballed that Avengers #2 for a little while. Hard to get even a copy in VG without paying a bit for it. I don't have any of the others, but do have the Werewolf 33. The closest thing I can come to #32 for now at least.
  • Posted: November 3, 2018 3:50:06 pm
  • Avengers #2 was one of the first early 2nd issues I acquired back when it was more affordable.

Hulk #2 was one of the last 2nd issues.

I have a JIM #84, but it's not scanned yet.
  • Posted: November 3, 2018 4:57:09 pm
  • Even more jelly of that first series Hulk. I have found a few issues that I nearly pulled the trigger on, but they are so pricey. Great investment, but that initial buy in is so much. We will see one day...for now I have 4 pages of production art from that first series framed on my wall (2 framed pieces, 4 pages total). The JIM 84 is a great book to own. Definitely a keeper. I have #86 in about an 8.5 I picked up for a steal, and need to get it out to CGC at some point.
  • Posted: November 6, 2018 5:38:39 pm
  • I was always assertive at picking up first issues if I could afford them. The ones seemingly just out of my budget eluded me. Eventually, I bought back issues of X-Men and #1 was the last issue I bought to complete the run at that time. I realized that I was up by buying the most expensive book last. The most expensive books are the ones that spike in price the fastest. For that reason, I try to buy the most expensive book in a run first. In some cases, once I get the key books, I don't even care about owning the rest.
19 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Yen Press's I Kept Pressing the 100-Million-Year Button and Came Out on Top Soft Cover # 5
  • Yen Press's My Poison Princess Is Still Cute Soft Cover # 2
  • Marvel Comics's Weapon X-Men Issue # 2
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine and the X-Men Issue # 20b