feature requests

Walking Dead Day... (Comic Book Forums)

• Walking Dead Day...

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 21, 2018 9:12:34 pm
  • fsjeter said:
    Looks like it will be Spider-Man #666 for the Walking Dead collectors with over 180 store variants. Same cover with individual store logos. You can find the fill list of stores from the link below in case you're gonna brave getting them all!

https://www.skybound.com/the-walking-dead/comic/walking-dead-day-comic-shop-variant-list

That should completely kill collectibility for the series. I've never found anything interesting about the comic or the TV show. This should prompt fans to whine for a week or so before dropping it off their pull list. I'm optimistic that I'll finally get relief from all the people who praise it.
    Imagine if you went to ten comic book messageboards and they were all praising raisins in oatmeal. That's what Walking Dead discussion is for me.
  • Posted: September 21, 2018 11:39:03 pm
  • Walking Dead is a comic with ups and downs. It doesn't deserve a lot of the unabashed praise it gets, since it's rarely REALLY good, and sort of hovers around the upper end of "pretty good" in my humble opinion.

BUT. . .

I still have it on my pull list so I'll pick up a store variant for the of it since it looks like by coincidence that the closest LCS to my house (where I have my pulls) is ALSO the only comic shop in Utah with a variant.

Last edited September 21, 2018 11:40:00 pm
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 22, 2018 12:57:55 am
  • I'm in the same camp as Atom. It has it's moments but I think it's nearing the end of it's run soon. Especially the TV series. I don't know if it signals the end of Rick in the comics too but it'll be tough to keep it movin' once he's gone!
    fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
  • Posted: September 22, 2018 4:48:25 pm
  • I think it's survived this long because it wasn't overrun with variants, especially in the beginning.
    I think this is the final push to milk retailers out of money and boost sales.

If you think about it, all the money retailers spend on this to promote their store is money not going to ordering other product. That's dragging down the sales of everything else when there could be new titles that are worthy of a little promotion.
  • Posted: September 22, 2018 8:14:43 pm
  • 180 variant covers to the same book? That is dumb beyond reason. Try completing your Walking Dead collection now (suckers?). Image has impressed me in the last decade with their variety of books they put out. Tsk tsk guys, you're on my list now.
  • Posted: September 22, 2018 9:32:58 pm
  • Bingo. It's a quick cash grab for the publisher now, with long term negative repercussions.
  • Posted: September 23, 2018 10:52:38 am
  • Anyone notice Cap's Shield in the background there...lol...lil shout out to Marvel? I realize it's a comic shop (i.e. the Action Comics #1 at Rick's feet), but like the rest of the somewhat illustrated comics floating around in the scene they are mostly Image books...Cap's shield and the partial Action 1 are good kick backs lol...and yes is see the Giant Size X-Men 1 & Detective Comics...just figured the shield & AC1 were bigger and easier to see.

Last edited September 23, 2018 10:57:09 am
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: September 24, 2018 11:10:29 am
  • I never picked up the single issues, only read the graphic novel collections. I always felt like Kirkman was an average writer. Not great, but not bad either. My theory is that the reason Walking Dead became such a success was not because of Kirkman but because of Frank Darabont, who was responsible for directing the pilot and was the executive producer of the first season of the show. If you've never heard of Darabont, he's known for directing the films The Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile. The guy knew how to take Kirkman's idea and make it work on screen. The pilot and first season have the most dramatic and realistic feel of the entire volume of seasons. Even the zombies were portrayed differently. Anyways, I'm going on a rant... The idea of 180 covers for one issue definitely leaves a sour taste and is usually a sign of desperation.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 243 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's 7174AD Issue # 1
  • DC Comics's Batman: Off-World Issue # 4d
  • Commercial Comics's Oh, My Achin' Back! Issue nn
  • Kodansha Comics's When Will Ayumu Make His Move? Soft Cover # 15