feature requests

Themed Cover Collectors? (Comic Book Forums)

• Themed Cover Collectors?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 4, 2018 2:50:51 pm
  • I stopped collecting comics around 2000 I think it was and have now started back up again this April. I'm having a lot of fun reading a lot of new stuff but the act of collecting has seemed to have bitten me more then anything and this website has helped with that immensely. I was looking through my boxes recently and noticed I had a few of the Marvel 25th Anniversary covers from the mid 80's, the ones with just a hero's head shot with the frame around the outside of superheros. I'd always liked these when I was younger so now I am trying to collect them all. This weekend I was perusing through a long box at a LCS and found the same type of cover but it was a "Women of Marvel" (Captain America #609b). Since I've been out of the game I didn't know these existed and I thought it was a great cover so I picked it up for a couple bucks and thought, maybe I'll try to collect these as well!? After researching them I found the Marvel 70th Anniversary covers with the same superhero frame, now I want to collect those also! It's a sickness...

So here's my question. Does anyone else collect books based solely on a theme? I'm not talking a series like Civil War or Secret Wars. A specific cover theme that could span multiple titles that you like? Like the Marvel action figure variants for example (I kind of like these as well) d'oh!
  • Posted: September 4, 2018 3:32:27 pm
  • Hi Machete! I’ve been trying to get all the comics with covers drawn by Dave Stevens as one of my collecting goals.
  • Posted: September 4, 2018 4:24:25 pm
  • If I really like a certain artist who only did the cover, I'll sometimes buy it even if I have no interest in the characters. When IDW launched their TMNT series back in 2011, I was only collecting the covers by Kevin Eastman (I know, I know, I hate variants but this was because of nostalgia, lol). I remember being a big fan of The Maxx in the 90s, so any covers Sam Kieth did I'd collect. I still do this even though he hardly ever does anything anymore.

Last edited September 4, 2018 4:25:02 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: September 4, 2018 6:29:12 pm
  • I really dug those 25th anniversary covers too back then. I didn't have them all, but remember the Web of Spider-Man, Daredevil and X-men covers.
    As far as collecting covers. Last year I got into the First issue of the latest Moon Knight series. I got most of the covers, love the action figure one, the hip hop variant, and got a comic shop variant that is signed by the artist who limited it to 25. I am still missing the Marco Rudy variant, and need to get it to complete things.

Last edited September 4, 2018 6:30:03 pm
    “I don't wear white to hide myself. I wear it so they'll see me coming. So they'll know who it is. 'Cause when they see the white, it doesn't matter how good of a target I am. Their hands shake so bad, they couldn't hit the moon.”
  • Posted: September 4, 2018 9:57:07 pm
  • I love and collect the action figure covers, plus the trading card covers that John Tyler Christopher does.

Mostly I collect cover artists that I like - J Scott Campbell, Adam Hughes, Michael Turner, Frank Cho, Stanley 'Artgerm' Lau, Art Adams, Dave Stevens, Eric Basaldua...and a bunch more.
  • Posted: September 5, 2018 1:38:51 am
  • I have never collected covers based upon a theme, nor do I chase any particular creators' covers. I collect the comics I like and the stories I would like to read. If it's a cool cover, that is a bonus, but I am driven by the story not the cover.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: September 5, 2018 4:51:55 am
  • I've never really gone after comics in a series with a specific covers or artists as part of my collecting bug. I DO love a great cover, though. I have a rotating comic cover collection on my office wall at work, so I WILL buy a comic just because it has a great cover, whether I actually like that comic or character at all.

That said. . .

I've recently found myself trying to hunt down all 48 of the 40th anniversary Star Wars covers. Some of them were on some really crappy comics, so they can be a bit hard to track down. It's a pretty fun hunt. . .

I don't even read Poe Dameron, but that cover though!

Last edited September 5, 2018 4:58:42 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 5, 2018 7:10:56 am
  • atom said:

I don't even read Poe Dameron, but that cover though!

That is badass beautiful, wow!
  • Posted: September 5, 2018 8:46:44 am
  • They're ALL sweet like that! If you're a Star Wars fan, this is definitely a good hunt.

I still have about 25 more to find. . .Sad

Last edited September 5, 2018 8:48:08 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 13, 2018 9:00:23 am
  • atom said:
    They're ALL sweet like that! If you're a Star Wars fan, this is definitely a good hunt.

So I was browsing my LCS shelves at new issues last night and have always seen a few big stacks of Star Wars on his shelves but have never payed attention to them and then I remembered this post. He had 6 of the 40th Anniversary covers, I bought them all for cover price including the one you have pic'd here. When I got home and logged them on here I found out Poe Dameron #10c was $33. Winning! The hunt is on for the rest.

Last edited September 13, 2018 9:01:10 am
  • Posted: September 13, 2018 6:44:24 pm
  • I can't really say I collect themes per se. I do try to collect oversized comics that are close to a Treasury format.

I don't really even care about the stories, just the format. I've never read this.

• Posted: September 13, 2018 11:46:26 pm
  • MacheteF7 said:
    atom said:
    They're ALL sweet like that! If you're a Star Wars fan, this is definitely a good hunt.

So I was browsing my LCS shelves at new issues last night and have always seen a few big stacks of Star Wars on his shelves but have never payed attention to them and then I remembered this post. He had 6 of the 40th Anniversary covers, I bought them all for cover price including the one you have pic'd here. When I got home and logged them on here I found out Poe Dameron #10c was $33. Winning! The hunt is on for the rest.

Niiiiiiiiice! Very Happy That Poe Dameron is one I haven't gotten hold of yet.
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 47 years, 248 days, 1 hour of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Darth Vader Issue # 21
  • DC Comics's Hawkman Issue # 4b
  • Valiant Entertainment's Ninjak vs The Valiant Universe TPB # 1
  • Red 5 Comics's Riptide Issue # 2