feature requests

Variant Debate..... (Comic Book Forums)

• Variant Debate.....

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 19, 2018 7:51:04 pm
  • I have been collecting comics for more than 25 years and I hate the variant craze! Am I the only one who feels this way? I like it better when the value is tied to the story rather than a cover. What say the rest of you? Confused

Last edited August 19, 2018 7:51:24 pm
  • Posted: August 19, 2018 8:43:18 pm
  • There's actual stories inside these books?! Shocked

Haha, I hear you loud and clear. It's what the industry is based on now. The Campbell variant craze drives me up the wall. Why his variants are pulling as much as they do is beyond me. Dell'otto does amazing work and I can see why his covers are highly sought after and priced as such, but still blows my mind.

Taking a title away and the cover credits justifies a 300% increase for some reason. I remember the days of variants as incentives for major storylines, now we're saturated with variants. As long as it sells and people are dropping $800 on 1 book, because of a cover, it will never stop.

But hey, I'm a cover collector myself and that's only because I LOVE Turner's work. Amassed a huge collection and did so without spending insane prices on each one. I laugh at the prices I see nowadays...

Sensibly collecting 100% of a series is a thing of the past. Good luck staying afloat!
    Biggest Michael Turner cover collection on site (...and coast?).
  • Posted: August 19, 2018 9:21:07 pm
  • I get it but I think it hurts the overall integrity of the industry. I know, mighty dollar has its way. Either way I will always follow good writing.... and Captain America!
  • Posted: August 19, 2018 10:28:21 pm
  • XNOMADX said:
    I get it but I think it hurts the overall integrity of the industry. I know, mighty dollar has its way. Either way I will always follow good writing.... and Captain America!

What do you think of Ta-Nehisi Coates' run so far?
    I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do best is buy/sell comics.
  • Posted: August 20, 2018 2:40:12 am
  • I'm no fan of the variant cover craze either, but I am in favor of comics being published, and if this is a price the industry has to pay in order to stay afloat I am willing to put up with it - I just don't participate in buying any of them myself. My reading enjoyment is with the story and the character development, and I really enjoy some good artwork too. What I don't need is a special cover to wrap it up in, but to each their own.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: August 20, 2018 2:58:32 am
  • logerine said:
    XNOMADX said:
    I get it but I think it hurts the overall integrity of the industry. I know, mighty dollar has its way. Either way I will always follow good writing.... and Captain America!

I’m enjoying it, I was worried that he was going to try to change Steve and push a political propaganda but he hasn’t. If it were to go that route I would suspend my pull. I like his take and understanding of the heart Cap has for people and country.

Last edited August 20, 2018 2:59:05 am
  • Posted: August 20, 2018 9:40:18 am
  • I hate it, but it seems to be a necessary evil.
    For the most part I ignore them, but since I have to add them here to the database it drives me insane.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 20, 2018 10:34:38 am
  • I'm with you guys who hate variant covers. They do indeed suck! Unfortunately it looks like they are here to stay. Originally variants were for comic book stores as a thank you from the publishers (DC and Marvel). Now there are hundreds per book and it is impossible to collect them all. I feel for you mods and other contributors trying to keep track of this nonsense.
  • Posted: August 20, 2018 11:57:35 am
  • And they have to buy them. Not like you just get an extra book. You are just entitled to order however many based on your order. So if it is a 1:10 variant and you buy 100 covers, you are entitled to buy up to 10 of them...at your normal rate.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: August 20, 2018 2:30:14 pm
  • I started collecting in the early 80's to the late 80's and stopped collecting for about 15-20 years and never heard of a variant as a "choice". I was always about the story and character development. Then I started collecting again and actually had to inquire with my LCS about variants. (I know...duh. I was out of the "loop" for awhile). So after being informed I must admit, I do like some of the variant covers and will purchase some, especially issues with a new character being introduced. IMO the(not all but some) new generation of collectors are more interested about collecting variants in hopes to make money than actual story lines etc. but like a Chinese Cookie once told me "What do I know?"

Last edited August 20, 2018 2:32:38 pm
  • Posted: August 20, 2018 4:59:00 pm
  • Minority here - I love them. There are certain artists I collect and they do amazing variant covers. Comics are a visual medium. If all you wanted was a story you would read a book.
    So I collect the variant covers I like and ignore the rest. Easy peasy.
  • Posted: August 20, 2018 5:03:54 pm
  • The nice thing about variants is you can buy what you like. If you like a variant, buy it, if you don't like it then don't buy it. I like having the option available.

• Posted: August 20, 2018 9:28:14 pm
  • Variants are one of the reasons I refuse to buy modern comics. I'm a completist if I'm collecting. I'm not going to buy 5 copies of the same comic to own everything. I'm not going "to pick the one I like" I like a full set and I don't like settling for the common and mundane cover that'll be the least desired by collectors in the future.

• Posted: August 21, 2018 10:10:38 am
  • Hey, I don't like settling either! Bravo Big Boss Applause
  • Posted: August 21, 2018 3:43:42 pm
  • I don't care much for variants either. I liked it better when there was only one cover to every issue. It helped make collections more complete and having just one cover also embedded itself more into my memory. For example I can recall many of the iconic covers for Superman, or #Amazing Spider-Man #300, and Uncanny X-Men #251 (two of my favorites). These days if I ask someone, "hey wasn't the cover to Spider-Gwen #1 awesome?" They'll likely respond, "which one? There are over 20 variants!"

Last edited August 21, 2018 3:45:05 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: August 21, 2018 4:31:49 pm
  • LOL, deja vu anyone . . . this is probably a question that will pop up for as long as we are inundated with variants the way we are.

My sympathies to the completists out there.Unless you have very deep pockets, its probably not even worthwhile chasing variants . . . I've seen some variants where I thought, "hmm, I think I'd rather prefer the regular cover to the triple-priced variant".

The market responds to demand though, so there wouldn't be variants if they weren't being bought because what would be the point otherwise? So, ultimately, I guess it is a monster of our own making . . .

That said, I don't generally fork out money on variants unless I can get them at a reasonable price.

Do what makes you happy and what makes me happy is rather spending $10-$20 on a (sometimes well-read) older comic BOOK from the 60's-70's than fork that out on a 2018 COVER.

Definitely can't always judge a (comic) book by its cover.
  • Posted: August 21, 2018 11:56:16 pm
  • I have a rotating framed comic cover collection on the wall of my office at work (and another one in my "Man-Cave", but it rotates less frequently) and I WILL buy a comic I don't even normally read just for the cover. . . I just bought Life of Captain Marvel #1 Artgerm variant a few weeks ago even though I have absolutely no interest in the character.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm all in on a good variant, but don't knock myself out trying to hunt them down. I'll frame up a comic from the 80's found in the bargain box if it has an awesome cover.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: August 24, 2018 7:12:29 pm
  • The idea that variants are necessary to sustain comic sales is completely wrong. Ordering is completely inaccurate and skewed. The publishers are getting no usable feedback to know if the stories and art are well received by the consumer. How can they measure the quality of the product if all they are concerned about is manipulating the retailers into ordering more than they intended?

If they were selling bananas, it'd be like offering one good banana if the store was willing to buy a case of rotten ones. They need to get rid of variants, look at the actual sale trends as far as how people respond to the product and build an audience based upon the content.

Modern comics are utter garbage in my opinion. If you offered to give me a long box of modern comics, I'd tell you to keep them.
  • Posted: August 24, 2018 11:23:56 pm
  • XNOMADX said:
    logerine said:
    XNOMADX said:

I’m enjoying it, I was worried that he was going to try to change Steve and push a political propaganda but he hasn’t. If it were to go that route I would suspend my pull. I like his take and understanding of the heart Cap has for people and country.

Glad you're enjoying it. I've not read it myself, but knowing the horrible things he said about the first responders during the 9/11 attacks in NYC, I have no interest in supporting his work.
  • Posted: August 24, 2018 11:29:52 pm
  • logerine said:
    Glad you're enjoying it. I've not read it myself, but knowing the horrible things he said about the first responders during the 9/11 attacks in NYC, I have no interest in supporting his work.

What? Do tell. I haven't heard about this. . .If it flips my trigger, I might drop Cap. So far the run has been okay, but it looks like it could go off the rails easily.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: August 24, 2018 11:37:48 pm
  • atom said:
    logerine said:

What? Do tell. I haven't heard about this. . .If it flips my trigger, I might drop Cap. So far the run has been okay, but it looks like it could go off the rails easily.

Here's a quote from him: They were not human to me,” Coates wrote in his book, “Between The World And Me,” about the emergency responders who rushed into The World Trade Center on Sept. 11. “Black, white, or whatever, they were menaces of nature; they were the fire, the comet, the storm, which could – with no justification – shatter my body.”

Also here's the entire article about him: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/07/controversial-writer-ta-nehisi-coates-to-speak-at-west-point.html

Last edited August 24, 2018 11:40:25 pm
  • Posted: August 24, 2018 11:47:10 pm
  • That's. . .pretty damn questionable. I'm gonna have to check that out. Thanks for putting me on to that. I find it hard to believe that Marvel keeps these people with such extreme views on the payroll. I was totally blown away and almost sick when I looked into Gabby Rivera for my upcoming 2 part Longbox Junk entry on "America".
  • Posted: August 25, 2018 1:43:41 am
  • atom said:
    That's. . .pretty damn questionable. I'm gonna have to check that out. Thanks for putting me on to that. I find it hard to believe that Marvel keeps these people with such extreme views on the payroll. I was totally blown away and almost sick when I looked into Gabby Rivera for my upcoming 2 part Longbox Junk entry on "America".

Yeah, Marvel has quite a few of these extreme leftists working for them. I think it has negatively affected sales.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the original poster's thread topic.
  • Posted: August 26, 2018 9:23:25 am
  • It certainly affected me when Marvel went full on PC! I stopped 3 pulls! I have just recently started collecting again after Marvel reorganized. But I believe people can change and do when they grow though life’s experiences. Thanks will continue to read the series until he gives me a reason to stop. I do like what he said in an article where he wanted to be influenced by Cap rather than he influence Cap.

Last edited August 26, 2018 9:24:24 am
  • Posted: August 26, 2018 9:59:39 am
  • XNOMADX said:
    I have been collecting comics for more than 25 years and I hate the variant craze! Am I the only one who feels this way? I like it better when the value is tied to the story rather than a cover. What say the rest of you? Confused

I don’t want variants. I don’t want foil. I don’t want holograms. I’m old.

Get off my lawn. Laughing
  • Posted: August 27, 2018 3:34:18 pm
  • I'm on the fence. I like them and appreciate the artwork of different artists and will buy some here and there. I appreciate trying to be a completist as well but don't obsess over it. There is no way I will ever have all ASM #800 and I don't care to but I do have 4-5 I think because I really like the artwork. So I am ok with them I guess.

Oh and by the way, the blank variants(white covers) are the lamest thing I've ever seen. Just stop with those. My local store has dozens of them sitting on his shelves because they suck.
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 12:15:45 am
  • It is kind of a toss up issue for me as well.
    I do think the variant market is completely saturated.
    With that being said, I can see the positive in getting a particular cover that you like without being obligated to buy the 19 or so others (kidding/not kidding).
    The variant craze may contribute to more collectors entering the market, but is it just for the sheer "trying to make a buck", or are the new collectors collecting for the passion a la' like TRUE collectors do?
    I have bought a few but didn't go out of my way to get ALL the variants. I just liked a particular cover (or two).
    The only one I really dug my teeth into was the first issue of Unnatural by Image.
    I read up on it, and did a pre-order and got 4 different covers. (I need to scan the virgin variant since it isn't on here yet). I thought I was complete, and noticed some comic con variants from there. Yeah, but no...I was good with what I have.
    “I don't wear white to hide myself. I wear it so they'll see me coming. So they'll know who it is. 'Cause when they see the white, it doesn't matter how good of a target I am. Their hands shake so bad, they couldn't hit the moon.”
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 12:19:38 am
  • MacheteF7 said:

Oh and by the way, the blank variants(white covers) are the lamest thing I've ever seen. Just stop with those. My local store has dozens of them sitting on his shelves because they suck.

I agree to that, aside from having an artist do a personal sketch cover for you. But a blank cover with no intention of being sketched is as generic as you can get.
    “I don't wear white to hide myself. I wear it so they'll see me coming. So they'll know who it is. 'Cause when they see the white, it doesn't matter how good of a target I am. Their hands shake so bad, they couldn't hit the moon.”
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 7:57:32 am
  • I don’t know guys, that dad that had his new born’s feet printed on AS 800 was genius!
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 9:29:21 am
  • That Dad could have done that print of his kid's baby feet on hundreds of different artistic formats. Using an expensive variant blank cover isn't all that genius.
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 9:42:51 am
  • I am not a fan of it. If I'm collecting a title, cover A is all I need to call a series complete. Variants don't count as part of the complete series in my book.

I do own a few variant covers, but that is simply because I like the artwork or artist. It's the only reason I would consider purchasing a variant. AND (this is a big pet peeve of mine), the cover has to relate to the story inside somehow. I KNOW they just relaunched FF4, but why put them (or homages, or whatever) on 647 covers of other books they have nothing to do with?! That one irks me something awful. Blanks fall into this category too, those are just dumb.
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 12:21:02 pm
  • mattf73 said:
    I am not a fan of it. If I'm collecting a title, cover A is all I need to call a series complete. Variants don't count as part of the complete series in my book.

I do own a few variant covers, but that is simply because I like the artwork or artist. It's the only reason I would consider purchasing a variant. AND (this is a big pet peeve of mine), the cover has to relate to the story inside somehow. I KNOW they just relaunched FF4, but why put them (or homages, or whatever) on 647 covers of other books they have nothing to do with?! That one irks me something awful. Blanks fall into this category too, those are just dumb.

This. 1,000,000% this. Applause
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 7:38:52 pm
  • Spector said:
    MacheteF7 said:

I agree to that, aside from having an artist do a personal sketch cover for you. But a blank cover with no intention of being sketched is as generic as you can get.
    When I look on Ebay and see tons of them that have been slabbed by CGC I just shake my head. Who really cares what grade a plain white cover is?

Last edited August 28, 2018 7:40:03 pm
  • Posted: August 29, 2018 12:14:38 am
  • Graded BLANK covers? Now that takes the cake.

I wonder if there's a unique individual out there who collects all the blank covers and has a couple of extremely generic-looking longboxes of comics that are his pristine pride and joy. . .

Last edited August 29, 2018 12:15:56 am
  • Posted: August 30, 2018 2:46:06 pm
  • In general, not a fan. HOWEVER, (he says in all caps), i definitely like grabbing some of them based on artwork i really like. Of course, even if you like the artwork, you realize that they mostly just go into the box so you don't see it apart from when you get it. However, I've been a real sucker for a lot of the venom variants in the recent years, because i like seeing how different folks draw different venomized characters.

Still working on collecting all of the original venomized run from 2012. Only lack Fantastic Four, FF and Iron Man at this point. All CGCd at over 9.2 (mostl 9.6, a couple 9.8s). And these are all shelved in my comic book room, facing out, so they are the art that greets me every time i go in! Smile

• Posted: September 15, 2018 7:38:29 am
  • atom said:
    Graded BLANK covers? Now that takes the cake.

I wonder if there's a unique individual out there who collects all the blank covers and has a couple of extremely generic-looking longboxes of comics that are his pristine pride and joy. . .

I think you are trying to tempt me. I would do that and refuse to let any artist sketch on hem.

• Posted: September 16, 2018 11:07:56 pm
  • Tex75455 said:

Still working on collecting all of the original venomized run from 2012. Only lack Fantastic Four, FF and Iron Man at this point. All CGCd at over 9.2 (mostl 9.6, a couple 9.8s). And these are all shelved in my comic book room, facing out, so they are the art that greets me every time i go in! Smile

Now that room sounds pretty amazing. I peeked at your photos to see if you had them posted, but didn't see any. You should put some photos of that up.
  • Posted: September 21, 2018 6:48:24 pm
  • I keep meaning too, as soon as i clean up the room a bit. The problem is the room stays a mess because I am constantly doing things in it (plus a general lack of time). Let me see what I can do!
  • Posted: September 21, 2018 7:55:24 pm
  • Spector said:
    Tex75455 said:

Now that room sounds pretty amazing. I peeked at your photos to see if you had them posted, but didn't see any. You should put some photos of that up.

Here you go, tried to get a few decent ones, a full shot and a couple closer in. This is just one wall, other sides have longboxes and/or the table i use as my office:

• Posted: September 21, 2018 9:46:44 pm
  • Holy cow, that is utterly spectacular!
    You had the vision, put the time and finesse in, and it shows.
    Total awe here.
  • Posted: September 21, 2018 11:52:09 pm
  • Spector said:
    Holy cow, that is utterly spectacular!
    You had the vision, put the time and finesse in, and it shows.
    Total awe here.

I have to agree. That's one SWEET comic-cave! Applause
  • Posted: September 22, 2018 1:20:03 am
  • I just don't get caught up in the variant craze. I only buy them if I like the art or the cover appeals to me. Most I'm spending on a current issue is about $30 and I have to really want it to pay above cover price.

I actually don't mind some of the blank variants. They can be nice to get a commission done. I do think there are some issues that don't really need a blank variant though.
    fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
  • Posted: September 22, 2018 4:53:54 pm

Are those Coors Light cases variant covers???

On a serious note though, bravo dude. Amazing looking set up you have there! Applause
  • Posted: September 29, 2018 6:34:23 am
  • Ha. Thanks all. To be honest, i can't take all the credit. The shelves were already there when we moved in, i just sort of repurposed them. When saw the room while house shopping, I just looked at that room and said "That's my comic book room". Luckily the wife agreed. (Side note: I've found coors light boxes just happen to be the perfect size for temporary storage, which is why you see so many. The long boxes are on another side of the room, not shown in the photo).

In any case, if yall think that is fun, i should take photos of the bobble head shelves and post em. Unlike with the comics, my wife is as into the bobbles as I am, so together we built shelving around the main den. Its fun
  • Posted: September 29, 2018 8:39:42 am
  • Tex75455 said:
    The shelves were already there when we moved in, i just sort of repurposed them. When saw the room while house shopping, I just looked at that room and said "That's my comic book room".

Funny, that's what sold me on the house I bought when I moved also. The previous owner was into food storage big time and had a big repurposed bedroom in the basement with shelves all the way around the perfect depth for short boxes. As soon as I saw it, I KNEW that was to be the comic cave!

Last edited September 29, 2018 8:41:05 am
  • Posted: September 29, 2018 9:53:48 am
  • Tex75455 said:

In any case, if yall think that is fun, i should take photos of the bobble head shelves and post em. Unlike with the comics, my wife is as into the bobbles as I am, so together we built shelving around the main den. Its fun

Now that is something else I would love to see. I have a moderate collection, as well as hero figures, statues, etc. I have a little set up, but it isn't at all what I want/need it to be. It works for now, but have a ton of stuff boxed up in a collectibles closet.
  • Posted: September 30, 2018 11:53:39 pm
  • I would have to agree and disagree, like some of the others. I think that The EXTREME amount of variants under one number, such as Variant 1A through 1K or more is WAYYYY out of hand. and the Blank covers are just stupid; they make it look like the artist called in that day or they did a printing error run.

But I do enjoy the minimum variant idea since I enjoy the Nice art work that goes along with the Nice story line.

But when I started collecting There were no variants, so looking forward to the next issue to see what art wrok and story there would be was most of the fun.

Perhaps if The Cover Artists would alll agree to NOT sign the variant covers than it make it go away.
  • Posted: October 1, 2018 3:09:47 pm
  • CarlM said:
    I would have to agree and disagree, like some of the others. I think that The EXTREME amount of variants under one number, such as Variant 1A through 1K or more is WAYYYY out of hand. and the Blank covers are just stupid; they make it look like the artist called in that day or they did a printing error run.But I do enjoy the minimum variant idea since I enjoy the Nice art work that goes along with the Nice story line.

I definitely agree with this, though I may be biased since I started collecting recently, & as an adult. In certain cases, I may end up with a variant digging through discount boxes trying to get a run (in which case, it's all good so long as I get the whole story) & it's not until I'm logging things later that I realise it, but I certainly don't mind. In other cases, because I do collect some specific covers, I may actually prefer the variant because it features the character I'm looking for. Lastly, sometimes I'll get a variant just because I find the cover really lovely or exciting; solely based on the artistic value.

That being said, yes, the blank ones are stupid & having a TON of variants for one issue is just exhausting.
  • Posted: October 5, 2018 6:33:15 pm
  • Spector said:

Now that is something else I would love to see. I have a moderate collection, as well as hero figures, statues, etc. I have a little set up, but it isn't at all what I want/need it to be. It works for now, but have a ton of stuff boxed up in a collectibles closet.

As requested, the bobbleheads. Apolgies for my shitty camera. Tried to order the pics such that it gives you a sense of the how their layed out, starting from the back of the house, curving around the front:

• Posted: October 5, 2018 10:33:01 pm
  • Whoo-hooo! Look at you Tex!
    I love the top shelving going around for your ginormous display.
    You have a great collection. It is really great to look at another person's collection and how it is set up. I have about 25 pop, about 15 dorbz and rides, and a handful of metals and rock candy figures, as well as about a dozen of the famous covers marvel figures (like the old Mego figures) and some other odds and ends.
    I have that Spider man 50 canvas too and a ton of the wall plaques and artwork.
    I can almost bet that we probably feel the same in saying, it is hard to leave such a fun room.
    I can't say it enough, you did such a great job, and it looks fantastic.
  • Posted: October 6, 2018 12:16:39 am
  • Tex75455 said:

As requested, the bobbleheads.

Holy Crow! Shocked THAT'S a lot of figures!
  • Posted: October 9, 2018 7:23:54 am
  • I am a huge fan cover art of variant covers not so much the prices and would never spend such insane price amounts for a comic but now a days I can complete sets even with variants for a better price than when the craze first hits.. Huge Micheal Turner fan and loved his variant covers.
  • Posted: October 9, 2018 8:20:19 am
  • Tex75455 said:
    Ha. Thanks all. To be honest, i can't take all the credit. The shelves were already there when we moved in, i just sort of repurposed them. When saw the room while house shopping, I just looked at that room and said "That's my comic book room". Luckily the wife agreed. (Side note: I've found coors light boxes just happen to be the perfect size for temporary storage, which is why you see so many. The long boxes are on another side of the room, not shown in the photo).

As someone who collects comics, Pez, & Pops, it's rapidly getting to the point where I need something like this...thanks so much for sharing!
  • Posted: October 10, 2018 1:58:30 am
  • @Tex: That is IN-Sane!! Beautiful collection, beautifully displayed! You must feel the envy all the way from here!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: November 3, 2018 6:22:25 pm
  • Thanks all! It's definitely been a fun ride to collect em all!
56 posts • Page 1 of 6
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 48 years, 345 days, 6 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Flesk Publications's Mark Schultz Various Drawings TPB # 5
  • BOOM! Studios's Planet Of The Apes: Omnibus TPB # 1
  • Marvel Comics's The Incredible Hulk and Wolverine Issue # 1
  • IDW Publishing's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest Issue # 3