feature requests

The Amazing Spider Man #135 Stan Lee autograph (Comic Book Forums)

• The Amazing Spider-Man #135 Stan Lee autograph

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 19, 2018 4:32:30 pm
  • Hi All,
    I recently bought a copy of The Amazing Spider-Man #135 with Stan Lee’s autograph but had no COA. The autograph looks legitimate but how would I be able to authenticate it? I’m going to a signing in a few weeks and Gerry Conway is signing so I’d love to have his autograph on it also. Picked it up for $50 after some negotiating. Any ideas on how to authenticate?
    Thanks!
  • Posted: August 19, 2018 9:29:23 pm
  • It’s an expensive route but if it’s legit. CGC it, they will authenticate it’s legitimacy as well as preserve it. Worth every penny for if it’s the real deal!
  • Posted: August 20, 2018 10:39:19 am
  • use CBCS for authentication CGC will give a green label , writing on cover
    CBCS will giove red lable velfied signature if authentic

Last edited August 20, 2018 10:39:38 am
  • Posted: August 20, 2018 5:01:17 pm
  • CGC will not authenticate, but CBCS will authenticate but the collectors market will not value this very highly due to the availability of authenticated Stan Lee autographs. At this point it is really too late to make it worth getting graded, your investment in the grading service will not return much value on the comic. You are better off buying an already authenticated Stan Lee autograph and have a CGC witness crack the case to get the Conway autograph added.

• Posted: August 21, 2018 3:49:43 pm
  • I've been collecting a long time. Seriously, long enough to tell whether a signature is older or more recent. I have a good eye and can tell whether it's real or been fakes. Probably something that CBCS can't even do. How? Because I've met and seen most of the big names in the industry over the years, due to attending many cons and shows. Stan's signature, just like many others, has gotten lazy in his old age. If it's an older (pre-1999) signature it will most likely have been done in ball point pen and not on the cover. He didn't sign covers much back then. He use to sign on the inside first page at the very bottom. If it's a more recent signature it will be on the cover and done in black sharpie marker. CGC should hire me but instead they hire out some young 20 year old buck who doesn't know a signature from another, unless you prove it to them.

Last edited August 21, 2018 3:51:52 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: August 21, 2018 7:55:42 pm
  • Ok here’s the pics sorry for the orientation

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • Posted: August 21, 2018 9:23:47 pm
  • Can I ask where did you buy it from? It would be beneficial to ask them exactly what year they had it signed. I'll give you my opinion. Judging by the way it is signed it was probably from around 2005-10. Might even be earlier 2000s but the ones I have seen from that era are a little more legible and Stan was more careful about where he was signing and wouldn't normally cover Spider-Man that way. I've noticed that as Stan has aged his signature has become less distinguishable and the letters more cramped together. He's become less careful about where he signs. Yours you can clearly see the letters. Also it's rare that he signs with a silver sharpie. That would lead me to believe it might have been forged but I have seen a few examples of some where he did. I do believe yours is not forged. But I would say about 98% of his late age signings have been done in black sharpie. Go to EBay and search for comics with Stan Lee's signature. Compare them to yours and see which ones look closest. Some may even list the year they were signed. If it were mine I'd want that Gerry Conway signature on it as well. It will make a nice piece to add to your collection and one that you can pass down.

Last edited August 21, 2018 9:25:55 pm
  • Posted: August 22, 2018 2:30:33 pm
  • @Rapha1978
    Thanks for the input! I got it from I guy I found on Facebook Marketplace, he didn't give any details about where or when he got it. I was wondering about the sig placement too kinda funny to see covering Spidey like that. The guy I got it from had quite a few other key issues for sale. I did see some another issue with a similar sig on Amazon, says this one was signed 2010:

• Posted: August 22, 2018 3:35:25 pm
  • hefmastuh said:

Thanks for the input! ... I did see some another issue with a similar sig on Amazon, says this one was signed 2010:

See? I told you I was good. I knew it had to be around those years. I've had the opportunity to see Stan 4 times and have comics signed. I've kept a few and sold a few. One year I volunteered and helped out at a con and was keeping his line in check...That was around 2011-12, I can't even remember...all the conventions are like a blur to me these days. Anyways I spent about two hours about 10 feet from where he was sitting and signing and I watched him sign over and over again. That I won't forget. If anyone ever needs me to verify a signature, contact me and I'll give you my thoughts. I have met, seen, and had most of the big names in the industry sign my comics. Now I am talking about most from back in my day (1970s-early 2000s). A lot of the newer guys in the industry, some not all, I just have never cared to meet.

Last edited August 22, 2018 3:38:33 pm
  • Posted: August 22, 2018 9:55:20 pm
  • Haha yep you called man! That’s an awesome story what a cool experience that must’ve been! I’m looking forward to meeting Gerry Conway I’ll post another pic once I get his sig added. Should I bring a silver sharpie to have him sign with? What are your thoughts on that? They’re actually opening a new comic shop out here probably don’t hear that very often nowadays right? They’re having Gerry Conway, Scott Koblish and Howard Chaykin signing! Can’t wait Dancing
  • Posted: August 22, 2018 10:36:11 pm
  • Yeah go for it and bring your own sharpie. Just let him know how Stan signed it in silver and you wanted it to match. Gerry Conway is a great guy. He's been doing a lot more signings in his older age now and has been attending a lot more shows which is great. For a long while he was sort of a hermit, that was around the late 80s-early 90s. I think the Punisher's success on Netflix has brought him out from hiding. One suggestion I would make is to take a quick picture of him actually signing it on your phone, and if he lets you take a picture with him that's always nice to have. This clears up a lot of questions or doubts in the future if someone ever thinks you may have had it forged. Way before cell phones I use to take a small camera and take pictures. I would develop the film and place the photo on the backside of the comic when I bagged it. Years later I sold some of my collection and that's how I sold my signed pieces. I would sometimes also save the show tickets or flyers with the comic--just to prove I was actually there. It made collecting a lot of fun. I feel like these days, having comics slabbed and sealed forever sort of ruin that experience for me.

Last edited August 22, 2018 10:41:22 pm
  • Posted: August 24, 2018 6:28:53 pm
  • joe_mccarty said:
    CGC will not authenticate, but CBCS will authenticate but the collectors market will not value this very highly due to the availability of authenticated Stan Lee autographs. At this point it is really too late to make it worth getting graded, your investment in the grading service will not return much value on the comic. You are better off buying an already authenticated Stan Lee autograph and have a CGC witness crack the case to get the Conway autograph added.

If CGC cracks a CBCS authenticated autograph, they will not honor the CBCS authentication. You will not get a yellow label. It's best to steer clear of CGC entirely.
  • Posted: August 25, 2018 4:50:46 pm
  • I should have said CGC witnessed instead of CBCS authenticated in my previous post.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Black Widow and Hawkeye Issue # 2c
  • Image Comics's Something Epic Issue # 9b
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Boy Issue # 6
  • Marvel Comics's War Machine Issue # 3b