feature requests

Question about somewhat strange find. . . (Comic Book Forums)

• Question about somewhat strange find. . .

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 12, 2018 8:44:03 am
  • I recently found what I suspect to be a printers proof/ mockup of a comic book in a bargain bin. . .3 issues of a miniseries called "Jesus Christ Demon Slayer" by Asylum Press. At first I thought that they were just incredibly cheaply-put together and flimsy, with sort of sloppy and sketchy black and white artwork, but when I was talking about it with another collector (who used to work for a small press comic company), he told me I might have a work in progress or in-house preview version of the issues, or maybe something to show potential investors.

I see from the tiny bit of information I can find on the web that this series WAS published digitally, but it seems to not have been put out in a physical form. So it's interesting to me, as it's possibly a one of a kind thing.

I know that there probably isn't much value in such an obscure title from a small company, but generally speaking, is there any sort of market for this sort of thing? I know that original comic art is a big deal, and ashcan previews can be collectible, but I've never really considered this kind of item or come across one before.

Any insight?

Last edited July 12, 2018 8:53:44 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 12, 2018 9:53:23 am
  • Unless it's a comic that personally interests you I would not spend any money on it. Never heard of it before and had to search it up. Looks like it published in 2015 and the digital version sells on Amazon for $1.99 with no reviews. Looks like it was a project that someone just wanted to self publish and get out there. Could have been a college art project. I found the first issue here: https://view-comic.com/jesus-christ-demon-slayer-001-2015/ It's a short read. Found it quite interesting. I actually liked the beefed up Conan-like Jesus with sword.

Last edited July 12, 2018 10:02:41 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 12, 2018 10:45:56 am
  • Spent .50 per issue from a bargain bin on the WTF of the name alone...

Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 12, 2018 1:25:15 pm
  • atom said:
    Spent .50 per issue from a bargain bin on the WTF of the name alone...

I know, lol. I found the whole thing really entertaining. Makes me want to find out what happens next. It was like something you'd see on one of those late night Cartoon Network Adult Swim shows.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 13, 2018 1:14:38 am
  • I WAS going to do a Longbox Junk entry on it until I found out how obscure it is. I still might. It's like the utter definition of Longbox Junk. Perhaps the purest example of Longbox Junk I've ever come across. . .
  • Posted: July 13, 2018 4:53:44 am
  • Maybe do a longbox junk series on obscure comics . . . it might just be more interesting than you think! LOL . . . I there is A LOT of * out there (* I use the word relatively, because tastes may differ), but I'm sure there have been some pretty decent obscure comics that people may not even be aware of.
  • Posted: July 13, 2018 8:59:02 am
  • "Maybe do a longbox junk series on obscure comics". Um, where have you been GenesisDay07? Atom has been writing reviews about comic book story arcs on CBR for almost two years. It's awesome!!
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Avengers: Twilight Issue # 5b
  • Marvel Comics's Avengers: Twilight Issue # 5d
  • Ben and Don Chin's Overload Issue # 3
  • Marvel Comics's Web of Spider-Man Issue # 7b