feature requests

Some advice urgently needed! (Comic Book Forums)

• Some advice urgently needed!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 1:09:38 am
  • So. . .let's get this out of the way first. My wife knows NOTHING about comic books except the same general knowledge most non-comic fans have absorbed. Spiderman does whatever a spider can. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SUPERMAN! Batman is a silly old T.V. show. There's been a bunch of new movies that she sees ads for on T.V. that look cool, but she's not paying to go see.

She knows that I love comics, because our basement is pretty much taken over by them. 40 longboxes (and counting) bookshelves full of TPB's, framed comic art on the walls, figures, knick-knacks, coffee cups, T-shirts, what have you.

ANYWAY. . .(yes, I know. I'm a bit long-winded)

She saw an episode of a T.V. show where someone got a big payday from an old Spider-Man comic (maybe Stars?) and decided to buy me an old Spider-Man comic for my birthday. So she snuck over to a comic shop with my mother in law and together, they bought the most expensive Spider-Man comic they had in stock. Because my wife loves me like that.

AND HERE'S THE PROBLEM. . .

The comic they ended up with is a CGC slabbed Spider-Man vs. Wolverine one shot from 1987 graded 9.0
    https://comicbookrealm.com/series/1939/0/marvel-comics-spider-man-vs-wolverine-one-shot
    With Stan Lee's certified signature.

They spent $245 on this comic. Shocked

So I see here at CBR that unslabbed, it's worth about 30 bucks. I see on Ebay that slabbed, it's worth close to 50 bucks. The question here is whether or not Stan Lee's signature on a comic from 1987 that he had nothing to do with is worth $200?

I have the sad feeling that my wife and her mom got stung and stung bad, and I'm probably going to try and take it back to exchange it for something else (The wife and MIL will never know. Neither of them have a clue what's in all those white boxes full of comics) .

BUT. . .

Despite my feeling they got shafted, there's a nagging thought in my head that I really DON'T know much about the worth of autographed comics. Any advice on whether or not to keep this book would be appreciated.

Last edited July 9, 2018 1:29:44 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 8:39:09 am
  • Ok, I'm kinda new around here, and this is my very first post to the forum (woohoo!), but being happily married for 19 years, I feel I can lend some advice on the subject...

Keep the book!

Did your wife overpay? That seems pretty certain. And I don't know enough about what it's actually worth to speak intelligently to that, but $245 seems quite high based on everything you stated and what I could gather.

But the point I'm making is that it really doesn't matter. Your wife bought you a very thoughtful gift, and it's one you should keep for that fact alone. Display it proudly!

You know your wife better than anyone, but if you got rid of it, I have to think she'd find out sooner or later, and that probably means hurt feelings. Easy to avoid by just holding on to it. Another reason not to return it.

My .02
    In pursuit of what Marvel considers the entire Hulk legacy run... with a few adjustments.

Current level of completeness: 71.04%
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 10:17:26 am
  • I don't think they were ripped off as bad as you think Atom.
    Stan Lee charges $100+ for his sig and the CGC slabbing runs $20+ and having it slabbed for whatever reason raises the value of the book.
    And if the sig is authenticated the value will go up and Stan isn't getting any younger so when he passes you may have a gem. (Although I would have preferred a book autographed by him actually had been written by him)
    So I think what they paid is closer than you think, $200-$220 is probably what it's worth but they want to make a profit as well.
    Found this - https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/09/so-what-are-you-charging-for-your-signature-an-eccc-report/
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: July 9, 2018 10:18:24 am
  • Man that is a tough situation. I know you don't want to make her feel taken for, but I'd be upset too if someone ripped off my wife. Go back to that shop with a print out of the price guide and explain to them that you are a long-time collector. Don't leave until they make it right. Only way I could see the value of that issue going up would be after Stan Lee passes, but again it's not a key issue that he worked on...so it may not ever be worth more than $50. Hope they can do something about it. Keep us updated.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 3:44:44 pm
  • Plus you should consider that Stan has signed a bazillion comics over the years. It's not like his signature is rare.
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 5:14:17 pm
  • Isn't there a saying like "a comic is only worth what someone will pay for"?
    My main question for Atom is "do you have a copy of that book already"? If not, keep it. If it's a double, go back to the store and trade it for something.
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 5:15:15 pm
  • logerine said:
    Plus you should consider that Stan has signed a bazillion comics over the years. It's not like his signature is rare.

I'd say yes and no. The numbers aren't as high as everybody thinks they are because he's always charged so much it's not like everyone can afford a signature. I went to a comic con about 8 years ago where attendance was 35,000 people over three days. If I remember correctly Stan only came on one day only and there were a limited number of VIP tickets sold for his signatures. These had to be purchased beforehand. I can't remember the exact number but think it was around 1,000. And then you could only get one item signed per ticket. He's followed this model for years and his appearances have dwindled over the past few years.

I've waited in line before, but that was back when he use to charge maybe $50. I remember probably about 90% of what people were bringing for him to sign wouldn't matter much to a collector. But I would think certain key issues would make it a little more rare and valuable. Say an Amazing Fantasy #15, Fantastic Four #1, or X-Men #1.

Last edited July 9, 2018 5:17:03 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 5:59:41 pm
  • A few years ago I got some Dynamic Forces "deals". They were like a grab bag sort of thing. Spend $50, guaranteed "value" of $200 or something like that. They always included a signed comic or two.

One of them I got had a Stan Lee autograph and it was Secret Warriors #17 #8/10. Another was Spider-Man #19 #1/10. Both signed and come with a COA.

Now...does Stan Lee get paid $100/book? Or did DF pay some flat rate and shove random comics in front of him to sign?

Since it was a gift from the family I would keep it. Personally I do not value signatures (even though DF is still selling that one for $400).
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 9:34:18 pm
  • I dont think they got ripped off...i think thats right on the button actually. Stan Lee's signature (though plentiful) on anything comic related boosts the book sales drastically. One reason is the obvious...its Mr.Marvel himself. But most importantly the second reason is what it takes to get a Stan Lee CGC graded book lol...it's not just lets ask if the cgc guy has time for a minute lol... You HAVE to grade the book through them and them only to get it certified. So not only are you spending $60ish to get 1 comic signed, then another $60-$90 just to have them case it. lol...so its really not that bad IMO. The 9.0 is unfortunate but the Lee certified sig is the money there.
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 10:41:39 pm
  • So my 2 cents, they overpaid despite whatever anyone says period no exceptions. It will be well worth what they paid when Stan passes and for a short time you will be able to probably sell it for a decent amount.

Aside from price paid, its the thought that counts and I would not say anything to them about overpaying it might make them feel as if they did not do a good enough job in picking out a gift and may cause your wife to feel that comics are really not worth anything possibly. I personally think its a great book and very awesome and to have Stan sign it is really awesome. All that matters is what you think and that your wife and her mother did something very special for you which totally rocks! You are a lucky man!!

As far as autographs are worth I view them as worthless personally they deface the comics true value especially those who have Stan sign an Amazing Fantasy 15 for instance. I seen someone have Stan Lee and Tom Holland sign an Amazing Fantasy 15 which is just devastating! I would not have Tom sign my spider under ware! If its a low value book its a cool thing its more novelty than anything but having Stans auto on something like a CGC book is very cool and worth the money especially like a special gift from the wife and the N law.

Keep It!

atom said:
    So. . .let's get this out of the way first. My wife knows NOTHING about comic books except the same general knowledge most non-comic fans have absorbed. Spiderman does whatever a spider can. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SUPERMAN! Batman is a silly old T.V. show. There's been a bunch of new movies that she sees ads for on T.V. that look cool, but she's not paying to go see.

She knows that I love comics, because our basement is pretty much taken over by them. 40 longboxes (and counting) bookshelves full of TPB's, framed comic art on the walls, figures, knick-knacks, coffee cups, T-shirts, what have you.

ANYWAY. . .(yes, I know. I'm a bit long-winded)

She saw an episode of a T.V. show where someone got a big payday from an old Spider-Man comic (maybe Stars?) and decided to buy me an old Spider-Man comic for my birthday. So she snuck over to a comic shop with my mother in law and together, they bought the most expensive Spider-Man comic they had in stock. Because my wife loves me like that.

AND HERE'S THE PROBLEM. . .

The comic they ended up with is a CGC slabbed Spider-Man vs. Wolverine one shot from 1987 graded 9.0
    https://comicbookrealm.com/series/1939/0/marvel-comics-spider-man-vs-wolverine-one-shot
    With Stan Lee's certified signature.

They spent $245 on this comic. Shocked

So I see here at CBR that unslabbed, it's worth about 30 bucks. I see on Ebay that slabbed, it's worth close to 50 bucks. The question here is whether or not Stan Lee's signature on a comic from 1987 that he had nothing to do with is worth $200?

I have the sad feeling that my wife and her mom got stung and stung bad, and I'm probably going to try and take it back to exchange it for something else (The wife and MIL will never know. Neither of them have a clue what's in all those white boxes full of comics) .

BUT. . .

Despite my feeling they got shafted, there's a nagging thought in my head that I really DON'T know much about the worth of autographed comics. Any advice on whether or not to keep this book would be appreciated.

Last edited July 9, 2018 10:47:06 pm
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Detective Comics Issue # 1083c
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 11
  • Walking Carnival's Johnny Grav & The Visioneer Issue # 2
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: Dark Droids TPB # 1