feature requests

DC / NY Times Spoils Batman Wedding (Comic Book Forums)

• DC / NY Times Spoils Batman Wedding

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 3, 2018 12:46:38 pm
  • I know they did this to hopefully gain a larger audience, but does that really work? Does anyone reading the NY Times see this and then buy the comic? I just find that hard to believe. I know it gets the word out that comics still exist and everything, but still ...

This is why when I try to find a new book or movie, I read as little as possible and certainly don't watch the entire movie trailer anymore. I even hate the little one sentence reviews because inevitably you'll get something like "You'll never guess the surprise ending!!" Well now I'll be expecting it though assholes.
  • Posted: July 3, 2018 12:49:21 pm
  • I've seen a few posts on this, but stayed away from the links! Between this and DC partnering with Walmart on exclusive comics that are hard to find, this doesn't bode well.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at http://www.edgosney.com/
  • Posted: July 3, 2018 1:06:43 pm
  • I guess if their movie trailers are any sort of indicator, I'd suppose DC has a habit of revealing too much too soon. But this is one that has really pissed off a lot of fans. Also I heard that Bendis is going to be writing a Batman story in those Walmart exclusives. I don't know exactly what he's doing on Superman, because rumor is he's going to kill off Lois and Jon–which I hope is not true. I read the first three issues of Man of Steel and it looks to me like it's headed in that direction. Solicitations for Supersons which relaunches again in August says that the new series will be a flashback series, which makes the rumors all the more true to me.

Last edited July 3, 2018 1:08:14 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 3, 2018 1:43:12 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:
    because rumor is he's going to kill off Lois and Jon–which I hope is not true.

When a major character dies, that you know won't stay dead, it just reeks of lazy writing or a quick cash-grab. The beauty of having legacy characters that permeate the world (Superman, Batman, Spider-man, ...) is that you have a rich history and generally always sell well. The downside is, you can't kill anyone major. So rejoice in that and quit dragging it out as a possible dramatic story ... come up with better ideas. I stopped reading all DC/Marvel because of precisely that .... same old shit.
  • Posted: July 4, 2018 1:00:03 am
  • The "spoiler" has already been telegraphed pretty clearly (and clumsily) in the last few issues of the comic itself. . .

All I can say is: Thank God Tom King is halfway through his run on Batman. I pray every other Wednesday that he becomes intensely interested in a character of his own creation and heads over to Image to devote his full attention to it and leaves Batman to another writer.

Seriously. . .reading Batman these days is like reading internet fan fiction.

Last edited July 4, 2018 1:05:31 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 5, 2018 7:15:07 pm
  • Word on the street was DC leaked the story to the NY Times to offset the disaster the last year and a bit were. Seriously, DC? Seriously, Tom King? Terrible. I feel ripped off for having bought some store variants of BM50.
  • Posted: July 6, 2018 9:51:47 am
  • I feel the same way junobeach. DC pulled a Marvel on us. I was really enjoying the dynamic between the two characters over the past year since the engagement. It was refreshing to see Batman moving into new territory and going forward with a commitment. King may have hurt his career with issue 50. It was enough to get me to drop the title from my subscription. If there's anything good that came of this it's that Selina is now on her own title again. Catwoman #1 was a better read.
  • Posted: July 6, 2018 9:56:01 am
  • I’m so glad I didn’t order some of the variant sets from online dealers. What a disappointment
  • Posted: July 7, 2018 2:44:26 am
  • To me it's fine that they spoiled it, I had no intention of reading this anyway. The second Batman proposed I knew it would be either called off or the marriage would be pathetically short due to Catwoman having second thoughts. The writers would never allow the Batman character to be/stay married so I pretty much ignored this story line.

Glad it's over. Next!

Last edited July 7, 2018 2:44:42 am
  • Posted: July 8, 2018 12:24:46 am
  • Alex, maybe to someone who wasn't reading the title they would have thought like you did. But to those of us fans who were invested it really was a slap in the face. Batman getting married isn't an impossibility. I mean look, he has a son now (Damien) in continuity. 15 years ago people would have said that would never happen. Batman as a father has made for some interesting story lines and I've enjoyed them. Seeing Batman as a husband would have opened up whole new territory to his character...sort of like when Reed married Sue (Fantastic Four), Peter married MJ (Spider-Man), and Clark married Lois (Superman). What upsets me is the marketing DC did to fool us. For the past two-three months they were pushing this wedding. For the past year every issue showed us that the Batman/Catwoman dynamic could work. And it did work. Comic shops gave out wedding invitations a few weeks before issue 50. DC printed these out to advertise. I still have mine. Even the comic has "The Wedding" written in all caps on the cover. Then what concludes is a very lame and lazy ending. Nothing happened. King apologizes over social media and says that this whole thing will play out until issue 100. So will they? Or will they not? I don't even care anymore. Solicitations for Batman #51: "The honeymoon's over for Bruce Wayne", Seriously? What honeymoon? There wasn't even a wedding! I'm done with the title.

Last edited July 8, 2018 12:29:12 am
  • Posted: July 8, 2018 12:25:32 am
  • This is frustrating I think because though I did not plan on buying it I had given it a thought. I figured the character could benefit from a nice change there could have been many interesting stories to write about and I think they blew it. I feel for the retailers though because they got sucked into this whole hype only to be disappointed. I mean if I owned a store and then ordered variants galore and the news article turned off potential buyers that would have thought it was cool I would be very upset.
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 2:28:53 am
  • I'll drop the rotten cherry on top of this $hit sundae by pointing out that Frank Miller's contribution to the price-padding pinup pages is probably the WORST "professional" comic art I've seen in a LONG time.

So bad. . .

Last edited July 9, 2018 2:30:27 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 10:23:07 am
  • Yeah Miller's stuff has gone downhill the past 15-20 years. I don't read or support anything new that he's involved in. That page is still better than any of the pages in The Dark Knight Strikes Again (2001).
  • Posted: July 11, 2018 8:43:20 pm
  • Never liked the art in the original dark knight returnsNot talking

*runs for cover*
  • Posted: July 12, 2018 1:20:12 am
  • fennrx said:
    Never liked the art in the original dark knight returnsNot talking

*runs for cover*

Actually the whole thing is pretty overrated, in my extremely humble opinion.

It definitely has some great moments, and those moments are what is remembered. What isn't remembered is the 80% of it which is not so great or even downright bad. I'd do a Longbox Junk entry on it if the issues weren't pricey enough to move it into my "collectible crap" category.

*runs for cover*
  • Posted: July 12, 2018 1:30:42 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    That page is still better than any of the pages in The Dark Knight Strikes Again (2001).

Hmmm. . .now THERE'S a Longbox Junk entry to consider. It's kinda low-hanging fruit, though.
17 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 48 years, 336 days, 14 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Flesk Publications's Mark Schultz Various Drawings TPB # 2
  • Image Comics's Outcast Issue # 37
  • Action Lab Entertainment's Princeless: Find Yourself Issue # 2b
  • Image Comics's Redlands Issue # 9