feature requests

DC / NY Times Spoils Batman Wedding (Comic Book Forums)

• DC / NY Times Spoils Batman Wedding

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 8, 2018 12:24:46 am
  • Alex, maybe to someone who wasn't reading the title they would have thought like you did. But to those of us fans who were invested it really was a slap in the face. Batman getting married isn't an impossibility. I mean look, he has a son now (Damien) in continuity. 15 years ago people would have said that would never happen. Batman as a father has made for some interesting story lines and I've enjoyed them. Seeing Batman as a husband would have opened up whole new territory to his character...sort of like when Reed married Sue (Fantastic Four), Peter married MJ (Spider-Man), and Clark married Lois (Superman). What upsets me is the marketing DC did to fool us. For the past two-three months they were pushing this wedding. For the past year every issue showed us that the Batman/Catwoman dynamic could work. And it did work. Comic shops gave out wedding invitations a few weeks before issue 50. DC printed these out to advertise. I still have mine. Even the comic has "The Wedding" written in all caps on the cover. Then what concludes is a very lame and lazy ending. Nothing happened. King apologizes over social media and says that this whole thing will play out until issue 100. So will they? Or will they not? I don't even care anymore. Solicitations for Batman #51: "The honeymoon's over for Bruce Wayne", Seriously? What honeymoon? There wasn't even a wedding! I'm done with the title.

Last edited July 8, 2018 12:29:12 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 8, 2018 12:25:32 am
  • This is frustrating I think because though I did not plan on buying it I had given it a thought. I figured the character could benefit from a nice change there could have been many interesting stories to write about and I think they blew it. I feel for the retailers though because they got sucked into this whole hype only to be disappointed. I mean if I owned a store and then ordered variants galore and the news article turned off potential buyers that would have thought it was cool I would be very upset.
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 2:28:53 am
  • I'll drop the rotten cherry on top of this $hit sundae by pointing out that Frank Miller's contribution to the price-padding pinup pages is probably the WORST "professional" comic art I've seen in a LONG time.

So bad. . .

Last edited July 9, 2018 2:30:27 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 10:23:07 am
  • Yeah Miller's stuff has gone downhill the past 15-20 years. I don't read or support anything new that he's involved in. That page is still better than any of the pages in The Dark Knight Strikes Again (2001).
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 11, 2018 8:43:20 pm
  • Never liked the art in the original dark knight returnsNot talking

*runs for cover*
  • Posted: July 12, 2018 1:20:12 am
  • fennrx said:
    Never liked the art in the original dark knight returnsNot talking

*runs for cover*

Actually the whole thing is pretty overrated, in my extremely humble opinion.

It definitely has some great moments, and those moments are what is remembered. What isn't remembered is the 80% of it which is not so great or even downright bad. I'd do a Longbox Junk entry on it if the issues weren't pricey enough to move it into my "collectible " category.

*runs for cover*
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 12, 2018 1:30:42 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    That page is still better than any of the pages in The Dark Knight Strikes Again (2001).

Hmmm. . .now THERE'S a Longbox Junk entry to consider. It's kinda low-hanging fruit, though.
17 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Crisis on Infinite Earths Issue # 1facsimile-b
  • Yen Press's The Illustrated Guide to Monster Girls Soft Cover # 3
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine and the X-Men Issue # 2b
  • DC Comics's Wonder Woman Issue # 8