feature requests

Thoughts on ComicConnect.com (Comic Book Forums)

• Thoughts on ComicConnect.com

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 18, 2018 10:07:37 pm
  • Hey all-
    I've been collecting since I was a kid back in the 80's.
    I've got 1600 books bagged and boxed in my basement. Some are well read and well loved, while others are pristine.
    Now with kids growing up and expenses all around, it is time for me to realize some financial gain from this great hobby.

I've sold 10-15 books on ebay, and the flashy, movie related stuff (ASM 300, New Mutants 9Cool gets looks and good sell prices.

But silver age and non-key issues get no love on ebay, and while I'm not expecting to get rich, I'm just not going to sell a Thor #130 for $2.99.

Which brings me to Comic Connect.
    This looks like a site for comic collectors, by comic collectors. They understand.
    Their interface is less robust and searching past sales and digging through auctions to get a grasp of the market like one can do on ebay just is not possible.

My books are not graded, so in order to put them up for auction, I have to send them images so they can review my hi-res scans.
    I sent them scans two issues from 1963 (Atom #5 and JLA #17). I figure both books would grade 5-6, I'm interested in how they see it.

Has anyone here sold through Comic Connect?
    What has the experience been like?
    Am I correct in thinking that I would get a better market (more $$) from knowledgeable collectors there than at ebay?
    Any other general thoughts on Comic Connect?

Thanks!

• Posted: June 20, 2018 2:53:24 am
  • Hey there! I totally hear where you are coming from on Ebay. My experiences there have been much like you describe. On the other hand, I have no experience with comicconnect, though I may now go take a look. To answer your last question, it is definitely likely you would get more knowledgeable collectors there than on ebay, but you probably won't reach as wide an audience. Why not give it a try? A final thought regarding having your books scanned and "graded" by them. There is a forum section here for precisely that. You could take some high quality scans of some books and post them here for the community to weigh in on. It can never hurt to get a second opinion!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: June 20, 2018 9:52:38 am
  • I probably wont really ever buy online again period (ebay), especially if its "value" is over $10. I just spend ~6 months settling up a lot of comics holes in some 80's series comic runs that I loved when I was younger and 50% of the 100+ comics I bought listed as NM came to me in terrible condition. The last one I bought a week ago was Jonah Hex #44 (I think it as 44) I bought was listed as NM and on the back cover had a massive stamp of the comic store who sold it in MI back in 1980 lol (and generally probably a 7.0 condition with major issues all over). On the flip side, every single person squared those up, mostly giving me back my money and letting me keep it. This industry is far to "scammy" for me to trust any purchase without looking at it with my eyes. Unfortunately, I also refuse to go into my local comic book store. I have had luck with older issues now at midtown but their selection of back issues is limited for me.

Last edited June 20, 2018 9:54:10 am
  • Posted: June 20, 2018 12:29:26 pm
  • Candygram4mongo, I think you should try selling your comic books here instead. Many "regulars" will grade your book for you (through the Forum) for free. It's super easy to set up. What more do you want? Say NO to EBay!!!
  • Posted: June 20, 2018 6:10:04 pm
  • So to follow up on the scans I sent to Comic Connect, their answer was a little surprising to me.

I had sent scans of JLA #17 and Atom #5 from 1963. I judged that both were mid-grade books.

In their response, they advised that my comics were worth between $25-$35.Considering the $5 posting fee and cost of shipping to CC after the sale, it would not be worth it.

They suggested that I try eBay! Shocked

Browsing through their listings, I see lots of items with current bids under $15. One can't navigate their live and sold listings for market research, so its hard to say why they didn't want my business. You can't even see who the seller is. It's a much more opaque business than eBay.

Maybe those low price listings are from regular users who tack on their little sales among bigger ones?

Anyway, I felt like they turned up their nose at me and showed me out the back door.
  • Posted: June 21, 2018 11:09:05 am
  • That would never occur here at CBR!! Way too many knowledgeable and cool people who love comic book collecting for that to happen. I can't guarantee you will be successful at selling comic books here, but you now see how other companies act. I think you should start indexing your books here immediately, and once that is done, you can add prices to each book. What's the worst that can happen?
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Batman Issue # 142 - 3rd print
  • Dark Horse Comics's Ghostbusters: Back in Town Issue # 1b
  • IDW Publishing's Star Trek: Defiant Issue # 13
  • IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Saturday Morning Adventures - April Special Issue # 1crazy