feature requests

Summer Reading (Comic Book Forums)

• Summer Reading

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 4, 2018 11:10:01 pm
  • What's everyone going to be reading this summer?
    My list is as follows-

•Marvel Superheros Secret Wars 1-12 (once I get my issue 8 in a week or so)
    •Annihilation series Vol 1 and 2 TPB
    •Avengers Forever
    (Below are the first two series of DC I've ever bought, although I have single issues and some TPB's. I'm more of a Marvel fan.)
    •Superman Man of Steel (Bendis run, once it's all out)
    •Dark Knights Metal run
    "In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight.

Let those who worship evil's might

Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!"
  • Posted: June 5, 2018 3:41:57 am
  • I've got lots of reading at hand for Longbox Junk. . .the blog with reviews nobody ever asked for!

Here's a few things I've got coming up:

New 52 Lobo (the whole series that everyone hated)

Mary (4 issue post-apocalyptic nuns with guns funs by Garth Ennis!)

Crime Bible: The Five Lessons of Blood (5 issues of the Renee' Montoya version of The Question)

The Terminator: 1984 (3 issues of Zack Whedon Terminator action!)

Nemo: Heart of Ice (Alan Moore League of Extraordinary Gentlemen spinoff about Capt. Nemo's daughter)

Moon Knight (the full 2006 30 issue run of everyone's favorite insane Marvel Batman)

Oh. . .and some Retro Reviews of older comics too.

Captain America (Madbomb!)
    Kamandi: Last Boy on Earth
    The Shadow
    Ghost Rider (The original Cowboy version)
    Fantastic Four (The Startling Saga of The Silver Surfer!)

Last edited June 5, 2018 3:46:20 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: June 5, 2018 1:46:00 pm
  • I picked up a few trade paperbacks recently from Superman (New52). Been trying to read them but they are just awful. Right now I am on the HE'L from Earth storyline. This could have been a good story...At least the art is nice.

Next up will be the Bendis six issue Man of Steel. I'm not excited about this, but will give it a try.

Might try the Voltron series from IDW.

We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: June 5, 2018 1:56:56 pm
  • I've been holding on to my latest ASM bookd for a while, just picked up #800 yesterday, so I'm going to read #794-#800. Also, an almost complete run of Vengeance of Vampirella (missing last 2 issues) is up next to read.
  • Posted: June 5, 2018 1:56:56 pm
  • I've been holding on to my latest ASM books for a while, just picked up #800 yesterday, so I'm going to read #794-#800. Also, an almost complete run of Vengeance of Vampirella (missing last 2 issues) is up next to read.

Last edited June 5, 2018 1:57:09 pm
  • Posted: June 5, 2018 2:37:44 pm
  • Ah, Summer reading by the pool. So relaxing with a cold drink by your side.
    I'll be attempting to catch up on my current Moon Knight run. I think I'll hop on Avengers Forever (thanks River Song) as well, as I remember that being quite an excellent read. Oh, and maybe I'll look into buying a pool too (probably not!).
  • Posted: June 5, 2018 6:52:25 pm
  • brucifer said:
    Ah, Summer reading by the pool. So relaxing with a cold drink by your side.
    I'll be attempting to catch up on my current Moon Knight run. I think I'll hop on Avengers Forever (thanks River Song) as well, as I remember that being quite an excellent read. Oh, and maybe I'll look into buying a pool too (probably not!).

Definitely a cold drink, but no pool for me, lol. You're welcome! I never read it, just ordered it, so I'm waiting for it to come in. I loved Moon Knight as a kid, but don't remember much, lol. Hey, if you can get it, go for it!!

atom said:
    I've got lots of reading at hand for Longbox Junk. . .the blog with reviews nobody ever asked for!

Here are a few things I've got coming up:

New 52 Lobo (the whole series that everyone hated)

Mary (4 issue post-apocalyptic nuns with guns funs by Garth Ennis!)

Crime Bible: The Five Lessons of Blood (5 issues of the Renee' Montoya version of The Question)

The Terminator: 1984 (3 issues of Zack Whedon Terminator action!)

Nemo: Heart of Ice (Alan Moore League of Extraordinary Gentlemen spin-off about Capt. Nemo's daughter)

Moon Knight (the full 2006 30 issue run of everyone's favorite insane Marvel Batman)

Oh....and some Retro Reviews of older comics too.

Captain America (Madbomb!)
    Kamandi: Last Boy on Earth
    The Shadow
    Ghost Rider (The original Cowboy version)
    Fantastic Four (The Startling Saga of The Silver Surfer!)

I have a Fantastic Four run I will start too, The End. I just got the last one I needed, #6, so I can't wait to read them.

Rapha1978 said:
    I picked up a few trade paperbacks recently from Superman (New52). Been trying to read them but they are just awful. Right now I am on the HE'L from Earth storyline. This could have been a good story...At least the art is nice.

Next up will be the Bendis six issue Man of Steel. I'm not excited about this but will give it a try.

I can't wait to dive into the Bendis Steel run, I've been trying to avoid any spoilers as each issue comes out, lol.

Jimbo749 said:
    I've been holding on to my latest ASM books for a while, just picked up #800 yesterday, so I'm going to read #794-#800. Also, an almost complete run of Vengeance of Vampirella (missing last 2 issues) is up next to read.

I have a few ASM issues to pick up and hoping my shop will have them in stock tomorrow. I need 690-695, then I'll be able to start on those.

• Posted: June 6, 2018 1:10:39 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    I picked up a few trade paperbacks recently from Superman (New52). Been trying to read them but they are just awful. Right now I am on the HE'L from Earth storyline. This could have been a good story...At least the art is nice.

Next up will be the Bendis six issue Man of Steel. I'm not excited about this, but will give it a try.

Yeah. . .New 52 was NOT kind to Superman at all. As for IDW Voltron, I've heard some good things and was thinking about checking some of that out myself. BIG fan of the T.V. show when I was younger. "I'LL FORM THE HEAD!"
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: June 6, 2018 7:24:15 am
  • Kinda funny, I'm not a "trade-waiter" but I do wait until I have 4-6 books in a run to start reading. Anyone else get monthly pulls and not read them right away?
  • Posted: June 6, 2018 12:40:49 pm
  • Jimbo, I don't buy many new books anymore, but everyone knows how much more fun it is to read a few issues in a row. Everything makes more sense and some writers (no names) write too slowly (6 books should have been finished in 4, for example). That also helps explain the popularity of Trade Paper Backs.
  • Posted: June 7, 2018 10:23:36 am
  • brucifer said:
    Jimbo, I don't buy many new books anymore, but everyone knows how much more fun it is to read a few issues in a row. Everything makes more sense and some writers (no names) write too slowly (6 books should have been finished in 4, for example). That also helps explain the popularity of Trade Paper Backs.

That's why I love all of the Aliens/Predator/Terminator stuff, other than the subject matter, most series are 4-6 issue minis making it easy to keep up.
  • Posted: June 7, 2018 6:58:42 pm
  • brucifer said:
    Jimbo, I don't buy many new books anymore, but everyone knows how much more fun it is to read a few issues in a row. Everything makes more sense and some writers (no names) write too slowly (6 books should have been finished in 4, for example). That also helps explain the popularity of Trade Paper Backs.

I love reading a batch of issues in a row, the story does make more sense that way. You get to enjoy the story much more.

• Posted: June 8, 2018 12:43:10 am
  • Jimbo749 said:
    brucifer said:

That's why I love all of the Aliens/Predator/Terminator stuff, other than the subject matter, most series are 4-6 issue minis making it easy to keep up.

Same here. I'm a big fan of limited series over ongoings. Dark Horse does a really good job at doing limited series that form a larger story. Besides Predator/Alien/Terminator, Hellboy is another great example of how Dark Horse does it right with the mini's.
  • Posted: June 8, 2018 8:04:55 am
  • atom said:
    Jimbo749 said:
    brucifer said:

Same here. I'm a big fan of limited series over ongoings. Dark Horse does a really good job at doing limited series that form a larger story. Besides Predator/Alien/Terminator, Hellboy is another great example of how Dark Horse does it right with the mini's.

And those books are perfect for your Longbox Junk reviews!
  • Posted: June 9, 2018 6:09:17 pm
  • Holy smokes I don't know if you guys picked up Justice League #1 this week. Best JL comic I have read in ages. Will make good summer reading for you guys if you want to try something new.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: June 10, 2018 2:27:23 pm
  • brucifer said:

I disagree with the last part. Six books should have been finished in one, not four. Otherwise, I agree with everything you said.
16 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 246 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • LoveLove Publishing's A Beast's Descent Into Love Soft Cover # 1
  • Ablaze Media's Almost Dead Issue # 2
  • Marvel Comics's Ghost Rider: Final Vengeance Issue # 2d
  • Con Edison's Mr. Edison's Dilemma Issue # 1