feature requests

The Case For Kirby (Comic Book Forums)

• The Case For Kirby

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 14, 2018 6:10:58 pm
  • A 300+ Page read , make of it what you will.
    I've only read a few pages so far and it is interesting.

http://zak-site.com/Case_Against_Stan_Lee.pdf
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 15, 2018 12:31:42 am
  • From what I've read and in my extremely humble opinion. . .Lee and Kirby were made for each other. They were like a superhero team themselves in that separately they were both good, but together they were great.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: May 15, 2018 9:49:15 am
  • I just got through 1/3 of it and will finish it later. The writer I think over analyzes but he brings up a lot of interesting topics. I do agree with his leaning that Kirby doesn't nearly get the credit he deserves. That's always been an issue that was brought up over the years.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: May 29, 2018 1:20:26 pm
  • atom said:
    From what I've read and in my extremely humble opinion. . .Lee and Kirby were made for each other. They were like a superhero team themselves in that separately they were both good, but together they were great.

Agreed, they were the original dynamic duo in comics. Kirby deserves more credit, though.
  • Posted: June 1, 2018 1:59:17 pm
  • I'm not familiar with the book or article being referenced, but I've read a lot about Stan, Jack & Steve.

There is a lot of negative sentiment coming out about Stan Lee. You can't go by today's standards to judge actions made in the 60's. Kirby knew exactly what he was giving away and willingly did so until the industry changed and more opportunities became available. Stan was utilizing the talent he had under the scope of what he was allowed to do. It's easy to say that Kirby deserved more credit, but his name didn't become legendary until he was paired with Stan Lee. The same is true for Steve Ditko. Both had opportunities to shine and make masterpieces after parting with Stan and couldn't. Stan is a showman and an effective marketer. Stan could have taken any creators and made them legendary. Kirby and Ditko just happened to be the ones to benefit from the name recognition Stan bestowed upon them.
  • Posted: June 1, 2018 4:17:20 pm
  • You're absolutely right Big Boss. I love and respect Stan Lee but have always compared him to Walt Disney because of how similar their careers were. Disney was the name everyone knew but he had 9 animators who were the real talent that brought his ideas to life. They were known as "Disney's Nine Old Men" and without them none of the classic movies would have been made.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 47 years, 364 days, 8 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Rebellion's 2000 A.D. Issue # 2095
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's Hour Of The Zombie Soft Cover # 6
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's New Game Soft Cover # 3
  • Marvel Comics's The Avengers Issue # 2 - 5th print