feature requests

Favourite Character, Favourite Read! (Comic Book Forums)

• Favourite Character, Favourite Read!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 6, 2018 4:59:31 pm
  • After collecting comic books for over 30 years I finally decided I needed a favourite comic book character! I've always loved Batman and Spidey (up to Amazing #700). After much deliberation I finally decided on Moon Knight.

Now to the point of this post. I want to hear back about everyone's fav hero and their best runs in comic book history.
    For the Moon Knight lover I would recommend:
    Moon Knight Vol. 1 (1980-1982) #1-#15 (the entire 38 book run was great in case you were wondering)
    Moon Knight Vol. 5 (2006) #1-#6 (bloody violent fun for the whole family, with killer Finch art as a bonus)
    Moon Knight Vol. 8 (2016-2017) #1-#14 (the entire run was a good read, even if I had no idea what the hell was going on)
  • Posted: May 6, 2018 7:30:45 pm
  • brucifer, thanks to comiXology, I've been able to read a lot more Moon Knight collections at discount prices, and I really appreciate the character so much more! I personally like a lot of different characters, and would have a tough time going with just one, but for fun, I'm going to list Omega the Unknown as one of my favorite comic book runs, albeit it was much too short. I think I was around 13 when it came out, and I remember being fascinated with his connection with the boy (James Michael Starling, I believe was his name). I know there are better comic runs out there, but there was almost something mystical about it at the time for my young teenage self. Thanks for generating some memories!
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at http://www.edgosney.com/
  • Posted: May 7, 2018 3:25:53 pm
  • When I was younger it was Spider-Man. Especially back when there were only 3 titles (Amazing, Spectacular, Web) and you'd get a story 3 weeks a month. What an exciting time it was. The last good run I remember was by McFarlane, Larson, then Bagley. So I guess ASM issues #298-380. I've tried to get back into the character since and Marvel killed it for me. Although I did enjoy the short lived title Avenging Spider-Man, and the first volume of ASM: Renew Your Vows. I sort of wish that series became canon. But honestly I don't think I'll ever read another Spider-Man story unless it's a back issue.

As I get older I've come to really love and respect Superman. Maybe because he's also older and I feel like I can relate to him since he's married now and has a son. I love what DC did with Rebirth and enjoyed the most recent run by Jurgens on Action Comics #957-1000. It brought back those feelings I had when I first started reading comics. Superman has had a long run and there are a lot of great issues/stories out there. Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright are two of my favorites.

Lastly I just want to mention a group of characters that were always my favorite group: The Fantastic Four. I'm sadly disappointed that Marvel also killed these characters for me. Everything from Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's first issue up to before they ended the first volume was what comics were made to be. Thank goodness there are over 600 back issues out there whenever I want to pull out something that takes me back.

Last edited May 7, 2018 3:28:32 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: May 8, 2018 1:54:45 am
  • I have a lot of "favorite" characters, but if I HAD to choose one as the top of the heap, it would have to be Captain America. I come from a proud military family and it's generally agreed on that if we had a unit insignia for our family, it would be Cap's shield. The men in my family (including myself. . .former Marine) have had Captain America (and The Avengers) with them from one end of the world to the other in peace and in war.

But as far as my favorite RUN goes. . .I'm stepping outside the "Big Two" box and standing up for Timothy Truman's Scout from Eclipse Comics. 24 issues of gritty post-apocalyptic goodness with just the right amount of Native American supernatural elements sprinkled on top. If you've never read this series, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's Longbox Junk at its finest (the individual issues aren't worth a damn) and well worth a look.

Last edited May 8, 2018 1:56:04 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: May 8, 2018 1:59:25 am
  • brucifer said:

Moon Knight Vol. 5 (2006) #1-#6 (bloody violent fun for the whole family, with killer Finch art as a bonus)

Probably my favorite Moon Knight run. It went off the rails in a big way as it went on, but those first few issues are pure weird gold! So dark and brutal. . .going deep into how being a superhero is kind of an addiction, and how a person who's been in that life will do about anything for just one more taste.

Funny you should mention it. . . I was just thinking about doing a Longbox Junk entry on that whole run sometime soon.

Last edited May 8, 2018 2:06:34 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: May 17, 2018 10:46:44 am
  • Boy, I was hoping for more posts on this topic. What does a guy have to do to get comic book fans to talk about their favourite characters? Yikes!!
  • Posted: May 17, 2018 3:10:30 pm
  • Its always been Wolverine for me. The mini-series was one of the first comics I owned and I loved him ever since.
  • Posted: May 17, 2018 3:53:48 pm
  • Can't say I have a favorite, I tend to like the character because of a creator(s) run on a book, like...
    Frank Millers Daredevil run
    Claremont & Byrne X-Men
    Walt Simonsons Thor
    Byrnes Fantastic Four
    But I tend to always be drawn back to DD for some reason.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 24, 2018 12:47:54 pm
  • The original run of Ra's Al Ghul stories by Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams is still my favorite storyline even though it wasn't a continuous story arc.
  • Posted: May 24, 2018 4:14:19 pm
  • Hey Bruc, I was given Moon Knight Essentials vol 2 which covers Moon Knight vol. 1 issues 11-30. That was such a fun read. The volume was printed on cheap newsprint in black and white, but I still enjoyed it. Moonie is a fun character.

My favorite character is Logan. Some of my favorite Wolverine stories, 1982 limited series, Kitty Pryde and Wolverine limited series, Uncanny X-Men 205, Origin, Wolverine vol. 3 issues 66-72 plus Giant Size Old Man Logan 1, Marvel Comics Presents 72-84 and the Blood Hungry story that comes after that introduces Cyber, and X-Force: Sex & Violence.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do best is buy/sell comics.
  • Posted: May 24, 2018 11:58:56 pm
  • logerine said:
    X-Force: Sex & Violence.

I'm not a huge Wolverine fan, but Sex & Violence is one badass story! I've been pondering doing a Longbox Junk entry on that one. . .

Last edited May 24, 2018 11:59:43 pm
  • Posted: May 25, 2018 12:54:40 am
  • @atom yeah, man. That would make a great entry. 👍🏻
    I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do best is buy/sell comics.
  • Posted: May 25, 2018 11:10:12 am
  • It's hard to answer this one as I'm still new to collecting and I don't have all the history down, but I have to say Spider-Man is my favorite character. Mostly because he isn't some all powerful hero, he is a young kid who worries about paying his bills and whether his girlfriend might be mad at him, down to earth maybe?

• Posted: June 11, 2018 11:03:24 pm
  • Mary Marvel is my favorite DC character, and I enjoyed her stories from Ordway's "The Power of SHAZAM!" and Jeff Smith's "SHAZAM!: The Monster Society of Evil". And even though it's for the youngsters, I very much enjoyed Mary's appearances in "Billy Batson and the Magic of SHAZAM!".
  • Posted: June 16, 2018 6:18:26 am
  • Favorite Character is Booster Gold, favorite read ever is DC's 52, the weekly run.

Clark Kent a close second......
  • Posted: June 17, 2018 10:44:51 am
  • Well my favorite reads and characters unfortunately do not meet...lol.

Favorite Character(s): DOCTOR DOOM by far, then Marvel Zombies (as a group lol)

Favorite Reads:

Planet Hulk into World War Hulk was simply awesome and genius. Loved going to the store every week to get the new issue and the offshoots. It was simply stellar how they brought Hulk full circle from "kicking him" off the planet to his return and forced duels of the Illuminati.

Last edited June 17, 2018 10:46:02 am
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom--
    ----------

----------
    CGC Recently Returned
    Amazing Spider-Man #300 - 1st app Venom (full) (5.5)
    Marvel Super Heroes #8 - 1st Squirrel Girl (9.6)

Recent Pick-Ups
    Batman: Damned #1: Recalled Edition (x2)
    Drake's Cakes Vol 1 #4: Dr. Doom Appearance
    Venom #3 3rd Printing: 1st app of Knull
    Action Comics #683: 1st cameo app of Doomsday
  • Posted: September 14, 2018 10:19:26 am
  • I was always a fan of the Hulk when I was a kid because he would just, well...smash. For a kid it was awesome to watch him destroy everything. One of my favorite comics I own is Incredible Hulk #316. He is leveling a city for who knows what reason and the Bi-Coastal Avengers come to stop him and it's just great action. I've had that issue since I was a kid, I've read it a hundred times and I still love it. After all that said though, I would say Daredevil has always been my favorite. I enjoy his story, his hardships and his battles with classic villains like the Hand, Bullseye and Kingpin. Anywhere from about #170ish-250ish are my favorite.

Honorable mentions are:
    Badger
    Deathlok
    Punisher
    Spawn
    Silver Surfer
    Ghost Rider

Last edited September 14, 2018 3:31:48 pm
  • Posted: September 14, 2018 5:09:36 pm
  • I can't believe I missed this post back in May when Brucifer kicked it off. Probably spending too much time getting some comics up on ebay! It is impossible for me to pick one character, sorry, but here are a few who stood out for me: The Angel, Ferro Lad, Matter Eater Lad, Dream Girl, Lightning Lass, Karnak, Karma, Dani Moonstar, Hawkgirl, Katana, Tin, Ghost, Black Panther, and Storm.
    Favourite reads would include The Great Darkness saga in Legion of Super Heroes #290 - 295 (approx), the Claremont/Byrne run on Uncanny X-Men #111 - 142, Miller's Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man #31 - 33, and every single Valiant Universe issue from when they started until the ironically named Unity. Ironic, in that they teamed up to oust Jim Shooter, just when they stood on the precipice of something great.
    I had the good fortune to be able to read all of those comics in order of release, including Magnus, Solar, X-O Man'o'War, Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Shadowman and the rest and without a doubt it was the greatest introduction to a shared comic book universe in history next to the work of Stan, Jack and Steve in the early 60's. Right up to the excellent Unity story line.

Last edited September 15, 2018 2:20:13 am
    Tenzil
  • Posted: September 14, 2018 5:40:05 pm
  • Thank you Tenzil for resurrecting this thread. And totally awesome that brucifer is a Moon Knight super fan too! Spider-man will always have my heart, and Batman runs through my veins...but for the past 3 years it has been the one and only Moon Knight.
    Volume 1 is a classic and Bill Sienkiewicz's art is just plain sick.
    I really enjoyed all of the volumes, but this last go round has been a mental roller coaster ride that I have enjoyed the most.
    Another favorite read is the Daredevil Fall from grace storyline.
    “I don't wear white to hide myself. I wear it so they'll see me coming. So they'll know who it is. 'Cause when they see the white, it doesn't matter how good of a target I am. Their hands shake so bad, they couldn't hit the moon.”
  • Posted: September 14, 2018 9:08:02 pm
  • Spector said:
    Thank you Tenzil for resurrecting this thread.

*Ahem!*
  • Posted: September 14, 2018 9:11:08 pm
  • MacheteF7 said:
    Spector said:
    Thank you Tenzil for resurrecting this thread.

*Ahem!*

Egads! My most humble apologies. I did see the latest comment by tenzil in which I noticed the thread...but MacheteF7 arrowed in Tenzil and in the end it all leads to Kevin Bacon Smile
    “I don't wear white to hide myself. I wear it so they'll see me coming. So they'll know who it is. 'Cause when they see the white, it doesn't matter how good of a target I am. Their hands shake so bad, they couldn't hit the moon.”
  • Posted: September 14, 2018 11:05:28 pm
  • See that it doesn’t happen again Spector! You won’t like me when I’m angry... ;)

• Posted: September 17, 2018 2:23:00 am
  • The Main Man, Lobo has been my favourite character for a looong time now. Let's just forget about the New 52 abomination though...
    "In times like these it's good to remember that there has always been times like these..."
23 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 47 years, 262 days, 15 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's D-Frag Soft Cover # 7
  • Viz Media's Splatoon Soft Cover # 4
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's Tomo-Chan is a Girl Soft Cover # 1
  • Papercutz's Trolls Soft Cover # 4
CBR.com member auction items ?