feature requests

Favourite Character, Favourite Read! (Comic Book Forums)

Author Favourite Character, Favourite Read!
Posted: May 6, 2018 4:59:31 pm
After collecting comic books for over 30 years I finally decided I needed a favourite comic book character! I've always loved Batman and Spidey (up to Amazing #700). After much deliberation I finally decided on Moon Knight.

Now to the point of this post. I want to hear back about everyone's fav hero and their best runs in comic book history.
For the Moon Knight lover I would recommend:
Moon Knight Vol. 1 (1980-1982) #1-#15 (the entire 38 book run was great in case you were wondering)
Moon Knight Vol. 5 (2006) #1-#6 (bloody violent fun for the whole family, with killer Finch art as a bonus)
Moon Knight Vol. 8 (2016-2017) #1-#14 (the entire run was a good read, even if I had no idea what the hell was going on)
Posted: May 6, 2018 7:30:45 pm
brucifer, thanks to comiXology, I've been able to read a lot more Moon Knight collections at discount prices, and I really appreciate the character so much more! I personally like a lot of different characters, and would have a tough time going with just one, but for fun, I'm going to list Omega the Unknown as one of my favorite comic book runs, albeit it was much too short. I think I was around 13 when it came out, and I remember being fascinated with his connection with the boy (James Michael Starling, I believe was his name). I know there are better comic runs out there, but there was almost something mystical about it at the time for my young teenage self. Thanks for generating some memories!
See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at http://www.edgosney.com/
Posted: May 7, 2018 3:25:53 pm
When I was younger it was Spider-Man. Especially back when there were only 3 titles (Amazing, Spectacular, Web) and you'd get a story 3 weeks a month. What an exciting time it was. The last good run I remember was by McFarlane, Larson, then Bagley. So I guess ASM issues #298-380. I've tried to get back into the character since and Marvel killed it for me. Although I did enjoy the short lived title Avenging Spider-Man, and the first volume of ASM: Renew Your Vows. I sort of wish that series became canon. But honestly I don't think I'll ever read another Spider-Man story unless it's a back issue.

As I get older I've come to really love and respect Superman. Maybe because he's also older and I feel like I can relate to him since he's married now and has a son. I love what DC did with Rebirth and enjoyed the most recent run by Jurgens on Action Comics #957-1000. It brought back those feelings I had when I first started reading comics. Superman has had a long run and there are a lot of great issues/stories out there. Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright are two of my favorites.

Lastly I just want to mention a group of characters that were always my favorite group: The Fantastic Four. I'm sadly disappointed that Marvel also killed these characters for me. Everything from Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's first issue up to before they ended the first volume was what comics were made to be. Thank goodness there are over 600 back issues out there whenever I want to pull out something that takes me back.

Last edited May 7, 2018 3:28:32 pm
We strike hard and fade away into the night
Posted: May 8, 2018 1:54:45 am
I have a lot of "favorite" characters, but if I HAD to choose one as the top of the heap, it would have to be Captain America. I come from a proud military family and it's generally agreed on that if we had a unit insignia for our family, it would be Cap's shield. The men in my family (including myself. . .former Marine) have had Captain America (and The Avengers) with them from one end of the world to the other in peace and in war.

But as far as my favorite RUN goes. . .I'm stepping outside the "Big Two" box and standing up for Timothy Truman's Scout from Eclipse Comics. 24 issues of gritty post-apocalyptic goodness with just the right amount of Native American supernatural elements sprinkled on top. If you've never read this series, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's Longbox Junk at its finest (the individual issues aren't worth a damn) and well worth a look.

Last edited May 8, 2018 1:56:04 am
Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
Posted: May 8, 2018 1:59:25 am
brucifer said:

Moon Knight Vol. 5 (2006) #1-#6 (bloody violent fun for the whole family, with killer Finch art as a bonus)

Probably my favorite Moon Knight run. It went off the rails in a big way as it went on, but those first few issues are pure weird gold! So dark and brutal. . .going deep into how being a superhero is kind of an addiction, and how a person who's been in that life will do about anything for just one more taste.

Funny you should mention it. . . I was just thinking about doing a Longbox Junk entry on that whole run sometime soon.

Last edited May 8, 2018 2:06:34 am
Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
Posted: May 17, 2018 10:46:44 am
Boy, I was hoping for more posts on this topic. What does a guy have to do to get comic book fans to talk about their favourite characters? Yikes!!
Posted: May 17, 2018 3:10:30 pm
Its always been Wolverine for me. The mini-series was one of the first comics I owned and I loved him ever since.
Posted: May 17, 2018 3:53:48 pm
Can't say I have a favorite, I tend to like the character because of a creator(s) run on a book, like...
Frank Millers Daredevil run
Claremont & Byrne X-Men
Walt Simonsons Thor
Byrnes Fantastic Four
But I tend to always be drawn back to DD for some reason.
"Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 45 years, 242 days, 1 hour of Run Time

Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home

Join World Community Grid today!

CBR App on Android
CBR App on Android
Newest Covers
  • Rebellion's 2000 A.D. Issue # 2078
  • UDON Entertainment's Manga Classics: Romeo & Juliet Hard Cover # 1
  • IDW Publishing's Star Trek the Next Generation: Through the Mirror Issue # 3ri-b
  • Oni Press's The Damned: Ill-Gotten Issue # 9
CBR.com member auction items ?
Cool Statues
Recently Rated
DC Comics's Batman Issue # 498
This comic was rated 4.5000 stars by 4 members
Batman
Issue # 498

Website Security Test