feature requests

Jim Starlin Hates Marvel (interview) (Comic Book Forums)

• Jim Starlin Hates Marvel (interview)

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 30, 2018 11:41:44 am
  • Thanks for posting this Rapha, interesting stuff.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: April 30, 2018 12:43:20 pm
  • Really interesting read. The main problem when working for Marvel is you don't keep any characters you create. No matter how much you put into a story, in the end, you don't get the final say, the Marvel editors do. Sort of explains why Image was created in the early '90s by all those ex-Marvel artists.
  • Posted: April 30, 2018 2:24:29 pm
  • I've had the chance to get my comics signed by him at a few cons and no matter how long the lines are he's the kind of person who takes the time to answer your questions and have a conversation. He signed all six issues of Infinity Gauntlet for me and we got to talking about that whole storyline and Thanos. I remember him mentioning back then how he was happy with the movies but not so happy with how his characters were being handled in comics. He said that if Marvel kept messing things up that they'd run out of good stories to base their movies on–because almost everything that has made them popular today was being written nearly 30+ years ago. He might have had a point.

Last edited April 30, 2018 2:26:04 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: April 30, 2018 2:32:22 pm
  • I don't think creators would be in that big of a hurry to leave Marvel if they would just be compensated more fairly for their creations, would also mean more characters for Marvel as creators wouldn't hold back their ideas as much knowing they could get some decent cash from them.

As for the stories from 30 years ago being only used, I think that's what needs to be done as those were important parts for origin and development of character stories for the characters.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: April 30, 2018 4:05:22 pm
  • i absolutely agree, they NEEDED to start with the "BASE" before adding blocks on top. So you start with further back stories for a couple reasons. 1. Origins...Character Development...exclusions: FF4 and X-Universe (Older not newer)...because of Fox's fumbles with the properties. 2. Kind of like Buffering on your computer (lol) cant catch up to the present stories too quickly or you run out of material to chose from. Granted there's plenty people would love to see (MARVEL ZOMBIES!!!! Pray) but you dont want to catch up to writers too soon in my opinion.
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable Issue # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Cable & Deadpool Issue # 10
  • Mad Cave Studios's Morning Star Issue # 1b
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths TPB # 1b