feature requests

New member here with a question on a Canadian White (?) (Comic Book Forums)

• New member here with a question on a Canadian White (?)

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 20, 2018 7:34:11 pm
  • Hi everyone, I didn't see an introduction forum so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. Just recently joined and I'm looking forward to future discussions with my fellow comic lovers, so hello! Very Happy

I've got a question for those familiar with Canadian Whites. For those that don't know, Canadian Whites were World War 2 era books printed in Canada that featured color covers with black and white interior pages. Many original Canadian heroes were created during this time period, but American comic stories were also used. Because of the 'War Exchange Conservation Act' that restricted the importation of non-essential goods from the USA into Canada however, Canadian publishers would buy the scripts to American stories but completely redraw the artwork so as to get around the law. So while the American stories were the same, the artwork accompanying the stories were completely different to reflect how Canadian artists interpreted the scripts.

I recently purchased a coverless title featuring Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr, Bulletman, Ibris and Golden Arrow stories which I was told was a Canadian White. Upon further investigation however, the artwork for each story in this book is identical to the American books the scripts are taken from. For example, the Captain Marvel & Golden Arrow stories are taken from America's Whiz Comics #60- but panel for panel, the artwork is identical to the American book.

So, here's where I need assistance. Can anyone identify this book and confirm that it is in fact a Canadian White? The cover and first couple wraps are missing so I'm unable to find out more but the seller insists it was a Canadian White. Was I wrong in assuming that all Canadian Whites have different interior artwork from their American counterparts? Any help would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

Last edited April 21, 2018 2:53:37 pm
  • Posted: April 21, 2018 10:08:37 am
  • Welcome to the site alex...unfortunately i dont think i will be of assistance to you on this, as this is the first i have heard of "Canadian Whites". I will however (when i get more time) research this. Got me rather curious. Very Happy
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: April 21, 2018 2:00:17 pm
  • This has got me curious, I've collected a long time and it's the first I've heard of Canadian Whites. Always assumed comics from the USA that were sold in Canada were identical but only marked for their currency. Were these published in the same size format as the originals? Was it entirely printed black and white, and/or were the covers in color?
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: April 21, 2018 3:09:18 pm
  • Thank you for welcoming me to the site AmZoMBIE. I edited my first post with a bit more information on Canadian Whites for anyone that hasn't heard of them. I'm glad I sparked an interest. Very Happy

Rapha1978, some of your questions I also address in my edited original post. Check out this short article as well about Canadian Whites- it features art comparison between an Ibis story found in the American Whiz Comics No. 52 and the Canadian Whites Version. Really cool stuff.

https://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/whites-tsunami-weca-splashes/whites-tsunami/

Last edited April 21, 2018 3:10:22 pm
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Feral Issue # 1c
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's MoMo: The Blood Taker Soft Cover # 8
  • David Heath Jr.'s No Sex Issue # 12
  • Square Enix Books's Victoria's Electric Coffin Soft Cover # 1