feature requests

4 Comics bought on Ebay (Comic Book Forums)

• 4 Comics bought on Ebay

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 28, 2018 8:44:29 am
  • I bought my first 4 comics on Ebay to give it a try:

WeaponX #7
    All New Wolverine #1 (variant)
    Walking Dead #138 (completed my set of 125 to now yay!)
    Wolverine #1 CGC 9.4 (198Cool

WeaponX arrive awesomely packed yet it had a deep half inch dime thick sided indent in it that went into several pages from the front

All new Wolverine arrived awesomely packed but had a 2+ inch long crease in the upper rgiht hand corner that indented into several pages.

Walking Dead was near perfect as expected.

Wolverine #1 CGC (198Cool 9.4 had its case cracked in 3 corners (one an inch plus long), moisture in the center of the comic. Im not even sure if its in a sleeve (its my first so Im going to my comic shop today to look closer at their CGC comics). The guy wont refund my money and claims he had no idea the thing was bad.

So basically I get screwed on ebay and Im kinda of and wondering why Im collecting comics. My comic book shops is scammy. For example, they let us order any comic and they will get it. Well, I needed one WeaponX comic (new series) with a value of $7 and when I got it in my box they marked it at $15. This isnt the first time in the past 2 months. They also snuck in several 2nd editions I didnt ask for. I've had to tell them twice that I dont want second editions and the second time they said "we you should tell us". Ive given these guys a good $1000 in the past 3 months and still suffer terrible customer service. Im also noticing that a lot of the 1/2 comics I have been buying (lots of X-men in the 100-250 range) are all clearly heavily pressed and Im worried about that.

Ebay is to scammy obviously.

I feel like Im being pushed out of collecting at this point.
  • Posted: March 28, 2018 9:15:11 am
  • Did the pictures show the damage? If they did not then file a complaint with eBay/Paypal that it wasn't what you agreed upon and you can get your money back (you likely would need to send back the comic(s). Sometimes sellers will just give you some money back rather than deal with everything.

What were the ratings of the sellers you bought from?
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: March 28, 2018 9:39:38 am
  • dough boy said:
    Did the pictures show the damage? If they did not then file a complaint with eBay/Paypal that it wasn't what you agreed upon and you can get your money back (you likely would need to send back the comic(s). Sometimes sellers will just give you some money back rather than deal with everything.

Ratings for most of them were in the 1000's. The Wolverine had almost 100 but when I looked at their ratings, they were all comics and all positive. The other comics with issues were both sold as "NMint" and thats it. the skinny is that I only paid like $6 for these (with <$3 for shipping) so its not even worth my time having to re-box and travel to the post office to ship again.
  • Posted: March 28, 2018 9:44:45 am
  • Well...that is what I was saying. If they didn't disclose the "damage" then it was misleading and eBay can give you your money back.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: March 28, 2018 3:03:52 pm
  • Starman, don't let a few scamming people on EBay or your LCS turn you off collecting forever. There a several reputable places to order your new comic books from on-line. Do some homework on those.
    There are also some cool- people selling back-issues here on CBR. I've bought and sold comic books here for over a year and have had zero problems with any of the orders. Maybe chat with a few sellers here. You can PM me anytime about back-issues and I'll help you out to my best abilities. Don't lose faith quite yet!!!
  • Posted: March 28, 2018 4:43:28 pm
  • I wouldn’t let it sway you either. I have had way more positive experiences on ebay than negative. I recently picked up a Batman 655 and some new ASM in NM plus a CGC X-Men 3 and 16 from 4 separate sellers, and all were as advertised. I did pick up a couple of early Captain America that I thought I would try from a buyer in hopes his grading was good (he has a few other comics that interest me), but I factored into the price his scans which looked like he over-graded. If you aren’t happy, go through the refund process. Sometimes just mentioning it gets the seller to send compensation. (picked up an Avengers 17 but it had a coupon clipped....seller sent me some money back when I mentionned it...i was ok with keeping it as a filler). I sell as well (5000+ feedback) and have made mistakes...it happens. Most sellers are good with working out a solution. Would be nice to see more buying/selling in this site where you can build up a reputation in a smaller community.
  • Posted: March 28, 2018 6:30:16 pm
  • you can get a refund on 3 of the 4 you bought...just a little communication with the sellers typically does it... the CGC guy, report that...they will stop the payment and refund you on their end, if the post was incorrect...i buy and sell on eBay, ive been thru almost any scenario (i feel lol). never had issues with refunds, just some needed extra steps to procure...lol...Dont get discouraged, with more experience you will know who to buy from and what to look for in the future.
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: March 31, 2018 8:12:08 pm
  • Heya all new member here.
    This is one reason i decided to come here rather than ebay my stuff. I had about a 75% success rate with ebay purchasing comics. As was mentioned, communication is so very important. descriptions of comics are subjective to the person it seems, sometimes. There are plenty of good sellers out there. I would venture to say the people that are active on this site would be a good resource. Real comic book people care about the comic and person buying it.
    My whole collection is going to be up for sale mostly 1980-1994 comics. I would love to find a local person to sell the whole collection to. I am about a third of the way through adding them to my pile.
  • Posted: March 31, 2018 11:26:08 pm
  • While it likely wouldn't help with older books, if you're looking for a current-issue subscription service, I'd recommend someplace like Midtown or DCBS. I know that DCBS can give you really nice discounts on subscription purchases.
  • Posted: April 14, 2018 9:04:20 am
  • Starman said:
    dough boy said:
    Did the pictures show the damage? If they did not then file a complaint with eBay/Paypal that it wasn't what you agreed upon and you can get your money back (you likely would need to send back the comic(s). Sometimes sellers will just give you some money back rather than deal with everything.

Ratings for most of them were in the 1000's. The Wolverine had almost 100 but when I looked at their ratings, they were all comics and all positive. The other comics with issues were both sold as "NMint" and thats it. the skinny is that I only paid like $6 for these (with <$3 for shipping) so its not even worth my time having to re-box and travel to the post office to ship again.
    That is what they are counting on that you let it go. Bottom line
15 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's 7174AD Issue # 1b
  • DC Comics's Catwoman Issue # 64c2e2
  • IDW Publishing's Golgotha Motor Mountain Issue # 2b
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine: Weapon X Issue # 3b