feature requests

Getting back into it issues and need advice (Comic Book Forums)

• Getting back into it issues and need advice

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 5, 2018 10:52:20 am
  • I got back into comics a few months ago, drawn in after a binge of The Walking Dead and the love of the Marvel movies over the past 10 years that cover the comics I collected in the 80's and 90's. So I picked up Walking dead 125+ (all of them now and starting to read them, waited for them all to have them without breaks). But I also went out and bought all of the X-men Gold / Blues as well as WeaponX (1 to current). I've also picked up a lot of the newer stuff to try and jump on to something like a few StarWars titles and a ton of others (like say Jean Grey 1-3) and anything starting with #1. I've gone through my collection, bought all new long box's since mine were worn and 25+ years old (8 of them). I also bought hard covers for a lot of comics I found had value now and started re-sleeving many (I found after 30 years, the plastic looks warped on many).

But I still have concerns about what Im seeing. The X-men have been ok, but not spectacular. It seems like Marvel is playing the old Image game with all this ridiculous variant covers (which to me is a fake market used to prop up comic book store owners) and oh.. all the silly cross overs. The comic book industry still seems to be a game to me, fake market (like caugh... bitcoin). But what has been proven in the past 20 years with movies (finally thanks to CGI) is that this IS a real industry that can last... comics may continue to be a breading ground for movies to come for decades.

So I need some advice. I want to start pickup up some other comics I loved like an ongoing Spider-man, Batman and Superman comic. One with good writing.

What are peoples opinions on these "graded" comics for collectors. These were just picking up when I quit.

What great comics should I pick up (especially focused on more reboot where I can get in a the ground floor and not have to learn the obtusely ridiculous history with 10 million different time altering and universe shattering changes)?

I mean.. wolverine was my favorite character back in the 80's (bought that first mini-series as a kid) and maybe you saw him in 3 comics like X-men and Alpha flight but now there is what 10 different wolverines in 10 different time lines in 25 different comics... uhg...

I cant even fine a modern version or Wolverine like the classic stud... "Bub"...

Add to this the comic book shop in my town bought up all the previous 10 (they are huge) and I gotta say they run like a monopoly, have the worst customer service I have ever seen, keep slipping 2nd prints into my box and when I request a comic that may be $20 I keep finding them beat up, not up to say a 94 grade I would expect. Is there any other way to buy comics?

• Posted: March 5, 2018 3:12:30 pm
  • I'd steer clear of anything Marvel in the last decade. They've made a real royal mess out of their comics. If you enjoyed Batman and Superman in the past I would recommend you find the first issues of their DC Rebirth (2016) and start reading.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 5, 2018 4:51:23 pm
  • The problem is, when you left collecting Marvel was writing decent, and keeping their old runs going. Now a days they are restarting every year or so lol and they are moving characters around like a dog in a cat farm. The other major issue WAS their utter and purposeful lack of attention to the X-Men titles, Fantastic Four titles, and anything having to do with mutants (because of the fox - property thing). That hurt them alot. Those characters have been struggling big time, and their answer was inhumans, which in my opinion was just a bandaid over a laceration that needed staples lol...There were a few absolutely awesome storylines though that came in the last decade...Planet Hulk/World War Hulk, the real and first Civil War run, the Marvel zombies (1st & 2nd series) were awesome. But yeah, lots of junk fillers and flashy covers to cover up the issues really at hand. I feel like it will get fixed now that they have all their properties back though. Maybe Not...still Hoping lol
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: March 5, 2018 5:38:32 pm
  • Biggest thing to remember is buy what you like to read.
    If you are looking to buy for investment, then buy key issues from the 60's, 70's and some stuff in the 80's.
    Marvel is restarting/rebooting again this summer so there will be a good jumping on point for you to try some of your favorite characters.
    Wolverine returns - http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books-comics/wolverine/270396/wolverine-returns-to-the-marvel-universe-in-april

Last edited March 5, 2018 5:41:37 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: March 6, 2018 7:50:02 pm
  • What I've been doing lately is finding writers that I like and follow them. Dr. Strange and Thanos from Donny Cates are very enjoyable.
  • Posted: March 6, 2018 8:46:33 pm
  • junobeach said:
    What I've been doing lately is finding writers that I like and follow them. Dr. Strange and Thanos from Donny Cates are very enjoyable.

Yep, me too.
    I only follow Jeff Lemire and Brian Wood, both TOP writers
    English is not my native language, please forgive my grammar / spelling...
    (First non-English speaking Moderator on CBR)

Paling & Ko by Francisco Ibáñez
  • Posted: March 7, 2018 1:07:42 am
  • If you like Star Wars, then I'd suggest Doctor Aphra.

It's only 17 issues in so far, so it's pretty easy to catch up on with either back issues or trades. It actually spun out of Marvel's first Darth Vader series, which is also pretty good if you feel like getting more into the background of the story.

It crosses over a bit into the regular Star Wars title, but it's pretty much all new characters, so there's not a whole lot of continuity backlog, especially if you're already familiar with Star Wars.

It's a pretty fun comic. The main character is sort of a female Han Solo/Indiana Jones combo and the stories shy away from the regular galaxy-spanning epic superweapon/chosen one/Jedi vs. Sith dramatics in favor of smaller, more character-driven stories where the stakes are high for the characters, but not really for the galaxy.

The thing I like best about Doctor Aphra is that when you read the regular Star Wars titles there's not really a sense of danger or uncertainty because you KNOW all the main characters survive to be in the movies. With Doctor Aphra, that sense of guaranteed success and safety isn't there.

Last edited March 7, 2018 1:17:20 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: March 13, 2018 9:55:32 pm
  • T.I.A said:
    junobeach said:
    What I've been doing lately is finding writers that I like and follow them. Dr. Strange and Thanos from Donny Cates are very enjoyable.

Yep, me too.
    I've heard good things about Lemire. Do you have any suggestions of what I should get?
  • Posted: March 14, 2018 9:09:13 am
  • junobeach said:
    T.I.A said:
    junobeach said:

Yep, me too.
    I've heard good things about Lemire. Do you have any suggestions of what I should get?

Essex County, Lost dogs, sweet tooth, trillium, Underwater welder, the nobody...

I have It all what Lemire and Wood have made, Love the dark Graphic Novels mostly.

Last edited March 14, 2018 9:11:41 am
    English is not my native language, please forgive my grammar / spelling...
    (First non-English speaking Moderator on CBR)

Paling & Ko by Francisco Ibáñez
  • Posted: March 14, 2018 10:36:21 am
  • Thanks, I'll check some out.
16 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Abrams Books For Young Readers's Captain Marvel Soars Above Hard Cover # 1
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 9
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Man vs Venom Soft Cover # 1 - 5th print
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 7