feature requests

QUESTION: Does slab condition factor into the value of a comic? (Comic Book Forums)

Author QUESTION: Does slab condition factor into the value of a comic?
Posted: December 6, 2017 11:56:17 pm
So I came across a copy of Fantastic Four (vol 1) #50 with that sweet. . .SWEET Silver Surfer cover slabbed and graded at 6.5 for the strangely low price of $100. I have it on hold for now, but the questionable thing about it is that the SLAB itself is damaged.

The comic inside is fine and the slab is unbroken but it has a pretty major scorch mark and some gouges on the upper left corner where it looks like someone was trying to burn or pry open the slab. The scorch doesn't really affect the cover at all. It's at the top part where CGC has their writing.

How does a damaged slab affect the value of the comic inside?
Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, The Spirit, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
Posted: December 7, 2017 2:11:31 pm
If I remember correctly, it costs $15 plus shipping both ways if you want it reholdered. Assuming there is not any damage to the comic inside, that is it for price difference.

Those cases are tough. I would be cautious of the comic if that much damage happened to the case. It may no longer be a 6.5.

Posted: December 7, 2017 2:58:54 pm
At that price I'd grab it up. I don't know why the slab would affect value considering it's the comic book inside which is being graded, not the slab. It sounds to me like it may have been rescued from a house fire. These things do happen. I knew someone around my area that lost a huge collection due to a fire.
We strike hard and fade away into the night

World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 42 years, 357 days, 6 hours of Run Time

Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home

Join World Community Grid today!

CBR App on Android
Newest Covers
  • IDW Publishing's Mickey Mouse Issue # 1four color
  • Viz Media's One Piece: New World TPB # 64-66
  • Marvel Comics's Secret Warriors Issue # 10
  • DC Comics's Suicide Squad TPB # 4
Cool Statues
Recently Rated
Vertigo's Preacher Issue # 1
This comic was rated 5.0000 stars by 2 members
Preacher