feature requests

QUESTION. . . (Comic Book Forums)

• QUESTION. . .

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 2:03:57 am
  • So I found a copy of EC's "Haunt of Fear" #10 in decent shape at a flea market last weekend. . .it was hanging on the wall of a stall where the guy was selling occult for wannabe witches and warlocks (in a ghetto slab, under glass in a regular picture frame). But it was just the cover in the frame. He took the cover off the comic because it was too thick for the glass to go over it. He had the coverless comic there too, so I bought the ghetto slab and the comic for the grand total of $25.

ANYWAY. . .

I'm having a bit of trouble finding out exactly how much the comic is worth. It's actually in pretty good shape, I'd say a solid 5. . .maybe 4.5, except the cover is completely detached. The question here is how the does one determine the grade and value for a comic with a loose cover?

Last edited November 1, 2017 2:04:25 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 9:28:13 am
  • That is a tough one. It is going to depend a lot on the comic. Some of the rarer comics can be a little more forgiving with things like a loose cover. But then again, "restored" comics can fetch a price as well. I would look at CGC's comic restoration price guide. It will also depend largely on how well the comic is restored.
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 11:13:34 am
  • This will answer most of your questions, just fill in the blanks...post what your results are also, kinda curious

https://web.archive.org/web/20170315143823/http://www.e-bigs.net/freetool.php
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: November 2, 2017 3:20:01 am
  • That's a GREAT site, AmZombie! Applause Thanks for that.

It gives me a pretty low grade. . .1.0. The thing is that the comic and cover are both in good shape, they're just separate. The flea market guy was pretty careful about removing the cover by taking out the staples and then putting them back in, so there's really no damage. He had the comic itself bagged, so it was in pretty decent shape too. I don't know what possessed him. . .I suspect it was leafy and green from the looks of him.

The site doesn't really go into having a carefully removed cover. It just automatically slams the book for not having a cover and doesn't take into account that the cover is there and in good shape, just not attached. It was under glass in a picture frame for knows how long, so it still has some gloss and is flat. NOW I wonder if I should just try to carefully bend the staples back out and put the cover back on. If I don't put on that it has no cover on the grading site, it gives me a 4.5.

Not that I plan on selling the book. I rarely sell comics. Last time was about 10 years ago when the IRS told me I owed them a thousand bucks because a former business partner didn't do our taxes right a couple years before and I sold off a chunk to make them happy. I'm just curious as to the strange situation of having a book and its cover both pretty carefully preserved. . .but separately.

Last edited November 2, 2017 3:26:05 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: November 2, 2017 11:57:50 am
  • I feel there will always be extenuating circumstances, but at least it gave you more direction. It makes sense to grade it a 1.0 even though everything may be in great shape. Maybe take the book n cover and have it reset back together professionally...may help with the value of the book. Unsure. In either case, glad this helped.

I believe you can have CGC put them back together and grade them, just to keep them together and fore go the cost of professionally putting it back together.

Last edited November 2, 2017 11:59:25 am
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Alan Scott: The Green Lantern Issue # 5b
  • Marvel Comics's Monica Rambeau: Photon TPB # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Gwen: Smash Issue # 4c
  • Dark Horse Comics's The Oddly Pedestrian Life of Christopher Chaos Issue # 8b