feature requests

Prices (Comic Book Forums)

• Prices

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 13, 2017 5:55:33 am
  • I know this has been brought up here many times and if this is a repeat post please take it down, But I scroll through the facebook pages and see what people are selling and I go on eBay to see what prices are out there and look for deals on books when I can find them and the prices people are willing to pay because it is a graded book is beyond me.
    I saw a book graded 9.2 and when I looked up the graded price it was 3.92 for a value it did have a signature on it but still. It was selling for close to $40 and then the winner of the auction had to spend another 13.99 to get it shipped so it will be close to a $55 purchase for a book that CGC or CBCS says is worth $3.92 I don't know if its because it has the case around it or the signature. I've also seen books that were graded with a $20 value going for $80-90 plus shipping. And I do not blame the sellers on this one either. If I could get a book that was cheap and sell it for a price above and beyond the asking price I would.

I know everyone will say that the book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but still if the book is graded you know the value of it according to those companies. I just don't see the point in overpaying for something that isn't worth it.
  • Posted: October 13, 2017 7:21:02 am
  • I hear what you are saying. We are all collectors, but everyone has different motives. When i started getting more into collecting I thought preservation was the main reason for slabbing. But now I think that resale is probably the biggest driver behind graded/slabbed books. While you can slab books for preservation, many people recommend the Mylite/Fullback (or similar) combo if your goal is strictly preservation.

Prices are higher for graded/slabbed because a seller will add the cost of slabbing to the selling price. CGC/CBCS don't set the prices, they just certify the grade, sellers and buyers take care of the rest.

These are just my opinions as an amateur collector. Maybe someone with more experience in graded/slabbed books can drop some knowledge.
  • Posted: October 13, 2017 8:41:55 am
  • Theoretically then if you sold a 9.2 CGC book for $40, then ANY 9.2 book should be worth $40. I think that slabbing costs what around $20-25 per book now? That would make it around $15 so the extra $11 could be the signature, etc.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: October 13, 2017 10:46:30 am
  • Also, if it is a recent/modern book, a 9.2 may not be desirable. Some buyers operate on a 9.8 or nothing for modern stuff.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Captain America Issue # 425b
  • Titan Comics's Conan the Barbarian Issue # 9f
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 13
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 5