feature requests

The Joy of Finding “That” Issue! (Comic Book Forums)

• The Joy of Finding “That” Issue!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 12:10:46 am
  • This wasn't as a kid, but I regret not buying every Walking Dead #1 I saw selling for $300 back in ..... '12 I think? I figured "Whoa, that's definitely as high as it will get so I'll wait for it to go down". Way wrong there.

As a kid, I regret not buying more early Amazing Spider-Man. This was back in '88 or so and I'd go to a shop and pull out the 200s issues or maybe mid 100s .... I'd skip the ones below 100 because they looked old. That would have saved me a lot of trouble of completing my run.
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 1:46:35 am
  • Nice read as usual, Ed. I have too many regrets to count them when it comes to comic book purchases I missed out on. Fortunately, like you, I care more for what I have and what I read and what I enjoy then making money on them, (not that I am averse to that), My biggest regret would probably have to be the huge pile of 60's and 70's comics that my mom pitched when I moved out to go to college. Lots of treasures in there, most notably the Incredible Hulk #180 and #181.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 3:33:13 am
  • Abysslord said:
    This wasn't as a kid, but I regret not buying every Walking Dead #1. . .

I'm with you, but I regret not getting in on the ground floor when Walking Dead #1 was on the shelf for cover price. I distinctly remember flipping through it, seeing it was black and white, and immediately dismissing it even though the LCS clerk was trying his best to push it on me. I told him I didn't like black and white books and took a pass.

Yeah. Brick wall

Last edited September 29, 2017 3:35:00 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 7:20:30 am
  • Abysslord and atom, I had no clue that Walking Dead #1 was so valuable until I read your comments and looked it up. Seems kind of crazy that it's more valuable than The Amazing Spider-Man #129, which came out so long ago. And yes, getting it for $300 now seems like a bargain, and I imagine everyone who bought it off the rack is quite pleased with themselves!

Tenzil, if only we could go back in time with the knowledge we have now! What great comic book purchases we would make. And I think we all appreciate the ability to turn a comic for some money when we need to, or we no longer care enough to keep certain issues. I'm sure it still hurts that your mom threw all those great comics away! I continually hear stories like that, which keeps making those issues even more rare as time goes on.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 10:46:16 am
  • I think WD is only valuable because it's popular at the moment. In 10 years no one will care. The TV show will just be a memory and interest will surely wane even with readers. The characters aren't memorable like superheroes which can be renewed with new generations of readers. So, if your thinking of selling do it soon or at least near the end of the TV series run. Just my 2 cents. Very Happy

I have read every issue of WD and enjoyed them all but I don't think they will be worth anything in the future. It's the only book I keep up with besides Lazarus.

Last edited September 29, 2017 10:50:38 am
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 10:55:33 am
  • mrhan1, I don't own a copy of WD, although I do wish I had one to sell! My daughter has read a lot of it, always getting the graphic novel versions.

I try not to make purchases just to speculate, as my collections of Ultraverse, Milestone, and 2099 will testify!
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 11:07:03 am
  • Edgos....tell me you at least have a copy of Static Shock. It's the only Milestone that is worth having. Laughing
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 11:12:16 am
  • mrhan1, nearly every Milestone comic I bought I picked up for a quarter, which I thought was a good price. I started collecting them in the Nineties, and haven't even gotten around to reading them yet (I have way too many back issues of things!). And yes, I do have some Static Shock...from my files:

Static (Milestone-DC)-1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 25, 27, 36
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 11:20:30 am
  • In regards to your original post; I found mint copies of Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #1 and #3. Besides being a comic collector I am also a huge Bruce Lee fan. The covers on these issues has Bruce Lee and Jim Kelly illustrated by Neal Adams and I've always wanted them. I found them at a toy show for $5 each. They're worthless to everyone else but to me they're priceless. Smile
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 11:35:25 am
  • mrhan1, congrats on finding those! It's really about what each of us likes, as individuals. Different characters resonate differently with each of us.

Did you happen to get the 1994 Malibu Bruce Lee series? I had the first 2 issues.
  • Posted: September 29, 2017 12:08:16 pm
  • edgos2 said:
    mrhan1, congrats on finding those! It's really about what each of us likes, as individuals. Different characters resonate differently with each of us.

Did you happen to get the 1994 Malibu Bruce Lee series? I had the first 2 issues.

Yeah, I have those. I want to collect all the Gold Key Green Hornet/Kato books with the photo covers. I don't have any of those.

Last edited September 29, 2017 12:09:06 pm
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 2:03:26 am
  • I have to agree with mrhan1 regarding the Walking Dead. I've never seen the show nor read the comic so I'm not here to judge how good it is or isn't. The thing is, it's probably not going to go on forever. I remember 20-odd years ago when the X-Files was a very hot show and comic. Now, not so much. Not a true comparison as I am sure WD has a much bigger following, but I will bet that the values will go down over time when the show is wrapped up.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 6:35:03 am
  • Tenzil, I'm sure both of you are correct on The Walking Dead. I've never seen the show or read the comic, either. Although I do have a free digital copy of the first issue, so I can save my hard earned nickels and dimes!
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 9:33:00 am
  • In my opinion the only modern books that will be worth a whole lot more in the future are New Mutants #98 and Batman Adventures #12. Even though mint copies are going for a lot nowadays with the characters' popularity I don't think they will take a huge dip in the future.

New generations of readers will drive the prices of these issues even higher as long as DC and Marvel keeps promoting them through other mediums. WD is limited where it can go but Deadpool and Harley can conceivably go on forever.

So, get your hands on even low grade copies. It will pay off in the long run.
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 10:06:40 am
  • mrhan1, thanks for that! I do have a really nice copy of New Mutants #98 I'm holding onto.
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 10:53:56 am
  • edgos2 said:
    mrhan1, thanks for that! I do have a really nice copy of New Mutants #98 I'm holding onto.

That's cool. I also have a copy of each that I bought at cover price. I totally forgot I had BA #12 because it was sitting in a pile of comics I didn't give a sh*t about. Luckily, it was sitting there for years at the bottom of the pile and is in mint condition. I didn't care for NM #98, either. I hated Leifield's art. I put both in mylars a couple of years ago.
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 5:39:32 pm
  • Cable VS Gaunt, and several of the original Onslaught issues. I was broke and couldn't buy the books when I saw them at the mall, I should've stole them! Not talking
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 5:45:12 pm
  • DocManhattan, did you ever buy them later?
19 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Deadpool: Badder Blood TPB # 1
  • Alien Books's Machine Girl & The Space Hell Engels Issue # 2b
  • Dark Horse Comics's Quick Stops 2 Issue # 3b
  • Massive Publishing's Zorro: Man of the Dead Issue # 3