feature requests

Disney Might Take Marvel Comics Off The Shelf Soon. (Comic Book Forums)

• Disney Might Take Marvel Comics Off The Shelf Soon.

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 15, 2017 9:15:53 pm
  • What if we told you, one day Marvel comics would stop publishing? You would probably laugh at us. However, if the signs mean anything, it may happen sooner than you expect.

The purchase of Marvel comics by Disney back in 2009 was a cause of mass speculation. There were talks of how the movies may take the comics out of business. While that buzz soon died out, it cannot be ignored that two giant corporate houses now own most of the comic book industry of America today. Marvel is owned by Disney, while Time Warner owns DC.

Let’s have a little context to this story. As you might have noticed, comic books are no longer sold like newspapers. The concept of “Direct Marketing” is responsible for most of their sales in the USA. It means that independent specialty shops are responsible for getting the comics from the sole distributor (Diamond) and selling to customers. However, this is the catch: specialty stores are hard to locate. Most people are not interested in driving miles before finding the single shop in their city. Also, even the biggest fans feel that paying $4 for just 24-32 pages of comics is a bit too much. There are diehard comic book clubs, of course, but the chances of becoming a part of them are slim. These factors have been at play for decades now, but the digital age has only hastened the death of American comic book industry.

Read more- http://comicbooksresource.com/disney-might-take-marvel-comics-off-shelf-soon/
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 16, 2017 3:13:59 am
  • Man Canuck that's depressing to read. I think the thing that Disney and Warner will never understand is that the movies depend more on comics than they even care to realize and not the other way around. All the movies today are almost entirely influenced and based from the stories that were written in comic book pages. Without that creative outlet they'll have to work on characters evolving on screen–which doesn't always work well. Characters in comics take years to develop. I look at a series like The Walking Dead and although it could exist on television without Kirkman's comics, the producers would probably struggle to define what direction to take. Much of modern day Batman should be accredited to Frank Miller. Modern day X-Men should be accredited to Chris Claremont. Spider-Man has had so many creative artists and writers leave their mark on the character that it all blends into the movies he's appeared in. When I watch Avengers I see pieces of what Jim Starlin, Walt Simonson, and others were creating. Taking comics off the shelf will lead to what they did with Mickey Mouse. You go back and watch Steamboat Mickey from the 1930s up until the 50s. The character changed and sort of evolved through those years. A lot of people forget that Mickey also was appearing in comics at that time and the comics were influencing some of the cartoons. Donald Duck was also gaining popularity and Scrooge McDuck first appeared in comics! Look up Carl Barks and Don Rosa for those who don't know. Then in the 1990s Disney ran Duck Tales. A perfect example of how comics influence film. There has to be a good balance between the two. I believe after the 1960s Mickey became what he looks like today because instead of treating the character as something that evolves and lives they decided to just make him a brand instead. I think of Harley Quinn too. Even though she first appeared in a cartoon it was later the comics that influenced how she appeared in Suicide Squad. It would be a sad day to see Marvel go down that Disney path of no return ... If they ever stop publishing comics I hope someone would create fan based comics that stick to continuity and continue where they left off.

Last edited August 16, 2017 3:21:03 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: August 16, 2017 10:38:02 am
  • Well like the article hinted at, if Disney decides to drop comics, it would probably rent/lease their characters off to the highest bidder/publisher. So you may see Spider-Man published by IDW and FF by Dark Horse and X-Men by Image....
    All the while Disney would still hold the rights to the characters for their movies where the real money is.
    It would be a different world as you wouldn't have these characters cross paths in a single universe so ending all continuity going forward.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

4 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Jay Garrick: The Flash Issue # 6
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 19
  • Marvel Comics's War Machine Issue # 11b
  • Absolute Comics Group's White Widow Issue # 4lab