feature requests

Super in depth questions on buying/selling – New Business Starting (Comic Book Forums)

• Super in-depth questions on buying/selling – New Business Starting

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 20, 2017 9:20:50 pm
  • Hello all,
    Let me just start with a little background on myself. I have been in the tcg/card game industry since I was a kid. Still huge into it, buying and selling card games, traveling all over the country, it’s great. I used to be into comics when I was a kid when I started working my 1st job in our local hobby store in my hometown when I was 15. Overtime I stuck with the cards and toys and kind of moved away from comics but now am getting back into it. I am lucky enough to know a lot of great people and I travel across the country for work. I have been wanting to get back into selling comics so have bought huge collections from people and places. My living room is full of about 50 long boxes of stuff right now that I am still going through.

The big thing with all that is that I have great access. I go to lots of conventions from smaller conventions to sdcc and nycc. I have lots of people sell me stuff all the time. I also travel across the country and stop at small local comic shops and stores. Again, what I have is access and I am trying to find the best way to use it.
    I have been selling some comics on ebay right now ( http://stores.ebay.com/Keys-to-the-Kingdom/?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336824214&toolid=10001 ) and posting my books on this site for sale but have not really got any action on any books I have. I sent tons of messages to people who said they were looking for the book I have but have gotten very few messages back. I also have vended at a one comic book convention recently so far and loved it.

But I have so much stuff I am a bit overwhelmed. I have some key issue stuff, lots of variants, and then lots of newer type books right now ( Rebirth and New 52 ) On to the questions 😊

• What is the best way to sell comic books online?
    • Do people like watching haul or collection videos?
    • Would people care to buy $1 books from a large list that I post?
    • Would people care to buy more expensive books from a large list that I Post?
    • Would people care to submit a list of books that they need (normal, variant, or holy grails) to me for when I come across them?
    • Are people on here looking for hard to find toys, rare video games, funko pops?
    • Would people on here like random bulk type lots of newer comics (not the 90’s , 2000 or higher) ?
    • Are full runs worth putting together? Or sell key issues and bulk the rest?
    • Would people like to see reviews on comic book stores across the country? (stuff like if they have back issues, newer issues, vintage, how is their pricing, do they carry other non comic stuff like funko or games.)
    • Would people like to have a connection with their online dealer to find their wants or is ebay just easier?

Overall looking to find any insight on what people are looking for in a smaller more personal online comic store. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any questions for me please feel free to ask.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this

Linda Smile
  • Posted: July 21, 2017 11:50:24 am
  • Hey Linda. You pose a bunch of good questions. Here's my two cents. Comic Book Realm is a great site for gathering information, prices, making friends, etc. Selling books here is very, very tough (trust me). I believe selling comic books on-line is a tricky business. There are quite a few regulars who sell via E-Bay (not me, never) that are on this Forum all the time. If you travel all around the States a bunch anyway, you already know that comic book collectors are sort of a strange bunch. Some people "have to have" whatever book they are looking for. Others just want deals. Others buy books to immediately flip. I think it's much easier to sell to a person in a convention setting (ie. live) than on a faceless website. If you want to go that avenue, be aware people will want pictures, grades and other pertinent information. It will be a lot of work, especially if it's for some random $2 book! I say stick to the convention circuit and sell books in lots (ie. full runs) and $1 and $2 bins. You sound like you like to do that anyway. There are lots of people who use this site that like toys, Funkos, etc., but I believe you will have a tough time making deals with that stuff here. Good luck.
  • Posted: July 21, 2017 5:33:11 pm
  • Brucifer thanks for taking the time to respond.

I do agree selling books online can be tricky but I currently live in a small town and we are the comic shop in town but we have a very small customer base. We technically don't even have enough to buy from previews every month. I do love setting up at conventions, it is my favorite but some many are full for vendors and I'm on waiting lists and then the vendor set up price goes up every year.

Overall I wanted to start a conversation to see what people want and what people do. I've been out of the comic scene for awhile and have always done well in business by not being like everyone else. I love to give more and stand out, be different.

Thanks so much for you input.

Linda
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Classics Illustrated Comics's Classics Illustrated: The Red Badge of Courage TPB # 1
  • Coldfact Comic Group's Coldfact Comics Issue # 37
  • Web Bleynat's High Treason League Issue # 1
  • Rebellion's Treasury of British Comics Annual Hard Cover # 1