feature requests

2017 Free Comic Book Day (Comic Book Forums)

• 2017 Free Comic Book Day

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 8, 2017 2:51:19 pm
  • I don't know about anyone else but Free Comic Book Day means free comics. Anyone else notice how some comic shops are withholding free comics and selling them the next day online. Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it ????
    It's just wrong.Shame on you
  • Posted: May 8, 2017 3:19:52 pm
  • Since the dealers have to pay for them just to give them away, I guess they can do whatever they want to re-coup their losses. So I don't mind as long as they are just selling what they didn't give away on Saturday.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 8, 2017 5:37:50 pm
  • Unscrupulous LCS's could abuse Free Comic Book Day if they withhold ones they think they could sell at a later date. Just not right. I thought the publishers swallowed the cost of these?
  • Posted: May 8, 2017 6:37:51 pm
  • junobeach said:
    Unscrupulous LCS's could abuse Free Comic Book Day if they withhold ones they think they could sell at a later date. Just not right. I thought the publishers swallowed the cost of these?

Not according to my LCS, they always charge $0.32 for FCBD comics after FCBD. They told me that it costs them around $0.25US/issue and so, charge $0.32CDN after FCBD to try and recoup some of the costs.
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 1:18:26 am
  • Wish my LCS even HAD some free comics to sell the next day. My daughter and I got there a bit late and literally all they had left was a handful of BOOM! Studios previews. Sort of stung a little that they didn't think of a good customer like me and hold back a few.

But on the topic. . .I can see a LCS selling FCBD comics they have left over in-store on the cheap just so they can get rid of them, but selling them online reeks of planning ahead to squeeze profit off of what should be a nice day of appreciation for customers.

And back to my experience. . .the guy at my LCS said they had a line formed an hour before the store opened and they had given away all their FCBD books within an hour of opening. Never heard of that before. What was the big deal this year that made FCBD into a Black Friday doorbuster?

Last edited May 9, 2017 1:21:22 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 8:38:13 am
  • Problem is with people who flip books...they get free comics that they can sell for an easy profit.
    Over last few years publishers have been printing new material in their books and in some cases they have some importance like first appearances making them even more desirable...they used to just do reprints.
    I was going to take my 10 year old nephew but he was playing baseball that day so we never went...
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 9, 2017 7:03:32 pm
  • I haven't gone the past two years. I don't like what it's become. I've seen people flipping books or grabbing up more than one copy. It use to be a fun day and I liked being surprised of what was going to be on the stands. Now you know months in advance and people even add it to their subscription which I find a little unfair. The shop near me makes it one big comic book show. They invite guest writers/artists. The lines form all day long and parking is horrendous.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 8:15:29 pm
  • im pretty close with one of my LCS owners...they pay like $5 per 25 books or something like that...for halloween comicfest books, i would imagine it would be something similar for FCBD as well...pretty much enough to cover the shipping im assuming...

atom...there were some really amazing additions to fcbd this year...top dog had to be Rick & Morty...closely behind that mustve been books like...Dragonball Super, Attack on Titan, and even Street Fighter V...i looked for all 4 at 5 of my lcs...got screwed by work...worked 715am-1030pm...totally missed it and the next day none of the 5 shops had any of what i was looking for...now i gotta buy online...thumbs down Evil or Very Mad

Last edited May 9, 2017 8:19:06 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: May 11, 2017 10:57:42 am
  • My LCS limits you to five comics per person. I always pick out 5, and my wife typically picks out 5 for our kids. Then I always buy some back issues or bags and boards...whatever, to help the owner with the cost of purchasing the free comics.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: May 11, 2017 4:45:58 pm
  • edgos2 said:
    My LCS limits you to five comics per person. I always pick out 5, and my wife typically picks out 5 for our kids. Then I always buy some back issues or bags and boards...whatever, to help the owner with the cost of purchasing the free comics.

I don't believe anyone would complain if an LCS has left over FCBD comics and could not give them all away and sells them later BUT I do have a problem with them intentionally not giving them away (ie: withholding comics) which is the point I'm trying to make. I understand the need to limit the # at the start but by the end of the day they should relax that a bit. Plus all LCS's should stamp the comics and not leave the space blank to prevent flippers. It's supposed to be a day where kids (of all ages) can get access and generate interest. I have yet to see any FCBD comic (past or present) be of any significant monetary value. If a LCS needs to recoup their costs from these comics then they are missing the entire point of FCBD.

Last edited May 11, 2017 6:14:56 pm
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Absolute Joker / Luthor Hard Cover # 1
  • Coldfact Comic Group's Coldfact Comics Issue # 22
  • Coldfact Comic Group's Coldfact Comics Issue # 41
  • Image Comics's The Six Fingers Issue # 1 - 2nd print