feature requests

Realism Check: Are my comics really worth that much? (Comic Book Forums)

Author Realism Check: Are my comics really worth that much?
Posted: April 17, 2017 3:33:56 pm
Hi there.

Nice site!

I have three long boxes of comics from the early to mid 90's that frankly, has not been touched in 20 years. The comics are about half Superman just before his death until 97-98ish as well as a ton of one off and short series comics. I have been adding them to my "pile" here on the site. I have not added the Superman's yet... I need to verify some of the variants. But basically, I have Action Comics 683-747, Superman The Man of Steel 18-82, Superman 74-139, The Adventures of Superman 497-561.

Question #1 Are the prices on this site a realistic selling price?
I am surprised that some of these appear to have some value. 90% of my books were purchased at a local comic store with a bag and board. They are in near perfect shape. They were read once, maybe twice, and then put back in the bag and board and then back into the box where they have sat for 20-25 years.

Question #2: Keep or sell?
The comics hold no value to me at this point. They take up space and I am trying to commit to a 30-40% reduction of crap in our house. Are they going to continue to go up in value at a rate worth keeping them in storage?

Question #3: How to sell them for maxium value?
What is the best way to sell these comics to get the maximum value?

Question #4: Foreign language comics?
What is the best way to determine the value of foreign language comics? I have a few Hebrew and Polish comics in my collection.

Thanks!

Dan

Last edited April 17, 2017 3:42:15 pm
Posted: April 17, 2017 6:21:01 pm
Check ebay sold listings for realistic prices.

There a few really good groups on Facebook. Each group has its own rules, and most of them will require you to have a paypal account in order to receive payment. If you sell your books on there, you avoid eBay's 10% seller fees.

Also, use eBay sold listings for your foreign books too. You'll learn what they are selling for.
I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do best is buy/sell comics.
Posted: April 17, 2017 9:09:46 pm
Bear in mind that this site sets the comic's purchase price as the minimum while many comics do not sell for that. Selling at conventions has shown me that you'll be lucky to get a dollar per common book. I have a long box of Superman that I don't even bother to bring to conventions as it just sits there taking up valuable space.
Posted: April 18, 2017 1:33:08 pm
Yeah, I figured that the pricing guide is overly optimistic. I have no specific reason to get rid of them except to reduce the amount of stuff in the house. I will stick them back in the closet.... At least I have cataloged what I have. Maybe after another 20 years, some of them might be worth something.
Posted: April 19, 2017 7:43:46 pm
ThatGuyDan said:
Hi there.

Nice site!

I have three long boxes of comics from the early to mid 90's that frankly, has not been touched in 20 years. The comics are about half Superman just before his death until 97-98ish as well as a ton of one off and short series comics. I have been adding them to my "pile" here on the site. I have not added the Superman's yet... I need to verify some of the variants. But basically, I have Action Comics 683-747, Superman The Man of Steel 18-82, Superman 74-139, The Adventures of Superman 497-561.

Question #1 Are the prices on this site a realistic selling price?
I am surprised that some of these appear to have some value. 90% of my books were purchased at a local comic store with a bag and board. They are in near perfect shape. They were read once, maybe twice, and then put back in the bag and board and then back into the box where they have sat for 20-25 years.

Question #2: Keep or sell?
The comics hold no value to me at this point. They take up space and I am trying to commit to a 30-40% reduction of crap in our house. Are they going to continue to go up in value at a rate worth keeping them in storage?

Question #3: How to sell them for maxium value?
What is the best way to sell these comics to get the maximum value?

Question #4: Foreign language comics?
What is the best way to determine the value of foreign language comics? I have a few Hebrew and Polish comics in my collection.

Thanks!

Dan

World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 42 years, 199 days, 13 hours of Run Time

Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home

Join World Community Grid today!

CBR App on Android
Newest Covers
  • DC Comics's Batgirl Issue # 17
  • BOOM! Studios's Mech Cadet Yu Issue # 4
  • Schaper Manufacturing's Schaper Stomper: Future Force Issue nn
  • Marvel Comics's The Punisher Issue # 218
Cool Statues
Recently Rated
DC Comics's Batman Issue # 619b
This comic was rated 5.0000 stars by 2 members
Batman