feature requests

My first CGC graded comic ASM #300 (Comic Book Forums)

• My first CGC graded comic - ASM #300

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 16, 2017 2:15:56 am
  • Got this back last week. This is the first comic that I have ever gotten graded. First and probably the only time that I will ever meet or see Stan Lee at a comic con. Was hoping for a 9.8, but given that:

1. I bought it at my LCS when it came out in 1988
    2. It was my reading copy (bought doubles, other copy is in better shape)
    3. Travelled 1800 miles with it in my carry on to the convention
    4. Waited 2hrs in line for Stan Lee to sign it, and watched his assistant, man-handle it before giving it to Stan Lee
    5. Waited another hr in line for Todd McFarlane to sign it, and watched his assistant, man-handle it before giving it to Todd to sign
    6. Gave it to the facilitator who witnessed the signings for the CGC Signature Series Label, to submit it for me

......it came back with a 9.6 grade. After everything that my comic went through to get signed and graded, I'm happy with the 9.6.

• Posted: April 16, 2017 2:38:29 am
  • Congats, Vengeance! That's a lot to go through but I'm sure it will pay off in the end!! Probably a dumb question but I haven't been to a con in many a year. Did you have to pay much for the autographs?
    Tenzil
  • Posted: April 16, 2017 8:46:09 am
  • That is fantastic!Applause

Too bad its devalued because the cover is now defaced Cool
  • Posted: April 16, 2017 1:46:03 pm
  • Tenzil said:
    Congats, Vengeance! That's a lot to go through but I'm sure it will pay off in the end!! Probably a dumb question but I haven't been to a con in many a year. Did you have to pay much for the autographs?

Stan Lee charged $100/autograph. Sort of disappointed that his autograph now, look so sloppy compared to his younger ones. But at least I got to see him and shake his hand.
  • Posted: April 16, 2017 8:57:34 pm
  • Vengeance said:

4. Waited 2hrs in line for Stan Lee to sign it, and watched his assistant, man-handle it before giving it to Stan Lee
    5. Waited another hr in line for Todd McFarlane to sign it, and watched his assistant, man-handle it before giving it to Todd to sign

Man this really irks me. I've dealt with the same thing while handing comics over to get signed. You would think that two people who make a good living in this industry could at least hire assistants who know how to properly handle a comic book. You probably had a 9.8 until those two idiots got a hold of them. Reminds me of a guy on YouTube who posts comic book reviews on his channel. I have seen him bend and fold up comics like they were magazines. I once commented and told him that if he was really a collector that he would know better and he got all defensive and was like, "They're mine anyway. A little fold here and there isn't going to hurt the value."

Last edited April 16, 2017 8:58:59 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: April 16, 2017 10:46:43 pm
  • nice book!
  • Posted: April 17, 2017 12:35:58 pm
  • That's a lot of work for one comic book! Do the signatures really increase the value or is it a personal victory sort of thing? I imagine you will never sell it, so the overall value isn't too important to you. My first CGC comic book was Daredevil #158 @8.5. I paid around $40 for it, then another $25+ to CGC it. At the time (about ten years ago) the book was only worth about $80.
    I want to hear some more first CGC stories from the masses!
  • Posted: April 17, 2017 3:40:31 pm
  • Vengeance said:
    Got this back last week. This is the first comic that I have ever gotten graded. First and probably the only time that I will ever meet or see Stan Lee at a comic con. Was hoping for a 9.8, but given that:

1. I bought it at my LCS when it came out in 1988
    2. It was my reading copy (bought doubles, other copy is in better shape)
    3. Travelled 1800 miles with it in my carry on to the convention
    6. Gave it to thee facilitator who witnessed the signings for the CGC Signature Series Label, to submit it for me

......it came back with a 9.6 grade. After everything that my comic went through to get signed and graded, I'm happy with the 9.6.

Nice. I bought 2 copies as well back in the day. I love Todds signature, but I don't give Stan the theif the time of day. I wouldn't buy any comic that is signed by Stan
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Black Widow and Hawkeye Issue # 2e
  • DC Comics's Crisis on Infinite Earths Issue # 1facsimile-b
  • Robin Snyder and Steve Ditko's Steve Ditko's Static TPB # 1
  • Marvel Comics's War Machine Issue # 7b