feature requests

barcode Vs Spiderman head (Comic Book Forums)

• barcode Vs Spiderman head

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 27, 2017 11:01:08 am
  • I bet this has been discussed but what is the difference in the books when there is a barcode in the bottom left of a book and not the Spider-Man head on the marvel books from the 80s and 90s. I can never remember which one is direct or newsstand and does it hurt the value or change it at all?
  • Posted: January 27, 2017 11:27:11 am
  • newsstand are the ones with the barcode on the front, direct are the spidey heads, and the rarity has been under discussion for quite some time now.

Last edited January 27, 2017 11:27:55 am
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: January 27, 2017 11:28:10 am
  • Beat to death actually.
    Short answer - Barcode are newstand release, barcode with line through it are direct market and spidey or any picture for that matter are direct market.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: January 27, 2017 11:50:58 am
  • Ha, i didnt even realize the ones with the line thru were direct...i did no that the line doesnt degrade the price like other unconventional markings
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: January 27, 2017 12:48:38 pm
  • Yeah the line through the barcode was just when the direct market was starting up and the rule was that the direct market got a larger discount but the catch they couldn't return unsold books like the newstand market so to differentiate the direct market shipped books they had the printer slash a line through the barcode...now you know. Wink
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: January 27, 2017 1:15:24 pm
  • Canuck said:
    Yeah the line through the barcode was just when the direct market was starting up and the rule was that the direct market got a larger discount but the catch they couldn't return unsold books like the newstand market so to differentiate the direct market shipped books they had the printer slash a line through the barcode...now you know. Wink

Way back when this was not well known, I had a copy of ASM #194 that had the slash line though the bar code and I thought it was a reprint or someone had drawn a line with a felt marker and it really bothered me so I went out and got another copy without the slash line. I never got around to selling the copy with the slash line although it was my intention at the time. Needless to say, that issue has skyrockected in value so it's a real bonus for me. Of course this was when you could get a copy for cheap.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 243 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Titan Comics's Grace Rosa Soft Cover # 1
  • Keenspot Entertainment's Spellweaver Issue # 3c
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 11
  • Marvel Comics's Web of Spider-Man Issue # 6b