feature requests

Grading question (Comic Book Forums)

• Grading question

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 12, 2017 2:40:32 pm
  • So for you guys that slab books, here goes...

I have the opportunity to buy a copy of Batman vol1 40 that's in my budget. It's in rough shape: water damage, ink pen on the front cover and about 40% of page 1 is missing.

The good news: it's a golden age joker cover, both covers are attached to staple, pages are tan to off white, except for page 1 the book is readable.

I'm thinking (hoping) this might come in around 1.5? But I have no idea what the ripped page does. I'd hate to send it off and have it come back as a 0.5. Golden age books, much less Batman joker, are rare around here. Would this be worth slabbing? Or do you think maybe this is a buy it and enjoy it for what it is(assuming I bite)?
  • Posted: January 12, 2017 3:42:59 pm
  • Looking at our price guide, a 1.4 graded Batman #40 is worth $190. I'd say there's no point in getting it slabbed.

How much can you buy it for? If you can get it fairly cheap, buy it and enjoy it for what it is.
  • Posted: January 12, 2017 4:09:28 pm
  • They're asking $225 but I know there's wiggle room for a cash paying customer. I was thinking if I could get it for under $190-200 I'd go for it.
  • Posted: January 13, 2017 2:15:54 am
  • Good luck with your negotiations! Without seeing the book it is hard to guess what the final grade would be but there is no way it would be higher than 1.5.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: January 13, 2017 2:00:50 pm

• Posted: January 13, 2017 2:08:39 pm
  • Besides the first page, all pages are intact.

Some water damage on the cover and first page or two. Most of the art though still looks pretty good for being 72 years old.

• Posted: January 13, 2017 3:08:15 pm
  • At $200 or under I'd grab it up in a heartbeat.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: January 14, 2017 1:17:55 pm
  • I bought it.

Probably paid too much but at least I have a golden age Batman with the joker in it.

But I did get it for less that $190.
  • Posted: January 14, 2017 2:36:03 pm
  • Nice! Applause

Are you going to get it slabbed?
  • Posted: January 14, 2017 2:47:07 pm
  • I'm thinking about it. When I used the online grading tool, it estimated the grade as 2.0 (for the page tear I used the "coupon cut- affects story" option)

I figure it might come back as a 1.5 or 1.8 if I'm lucky.

Does CBG or CBCS grade on a curve? For example, are they little more generous on the grading if the book is 70 years old vs 2 years old?Laughing

Regardless, it's a cool book to own imo. And despite the page tear, the story is really intact. To read a 70 year Batman vs joker is something else.
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Oni Press's Cemetery Kids Don't Die Issue # 2
  • Image Comics's Killadelphia Issue # 34
  • Marvel Comics's Marvel Previews Issue # 31
  • Marvel Comics's Ms. Marvel: Mutant Menace  Issue # 1b