feature requests

Amazing Spider Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto breaks another record (Comic Book Forums)

• Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto breaks another record

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 6, 2017 10:36:12 am
  • I sold my unslabbed 9.2 for $880. I'd rather pay that much for an unslabbed then 1,000% more for 9.8 slabbed. Good . But hey, everyone spends their own money based on their wants. I just wonder if it will hold value for years and years. What if something happens and multiple covers aren't done any more and people don't care about old ones? I guess the rarity will keep it pretty high though.

• Posted: January 9, 2017 6:47:02 am
  • So....explain to this ignoramus what makes this issue so yuge?

Is it because the print run was really tiny for the issue? Making this variant extremely rare?
  • Posted: January 9, 2017 8:47:04 am
  • The tiny print run size it pretty much it. To most peoples best estimate, there are less than 200 copies in existence. For a 1:100 comic this is an extremely small print run.

What make matters worse is that many of the 200 copies have printing defects making high grade copies extremely difficult to get. You typically only see 1 or 2 copies per year for sale on eBay.

• Posted: January 9, 2017 1:13:15 pm
  • Also with all the hype from the HUGE 666 store variants everyone chased, this one kinda fell through the cracks didn't get the attention til late.
  • Posted: January 9, 2017 2:27:14 pm
  • joe_mccarty said:
    The tiny print run size it pretty much it. To most peoples best estimate, there are less than 200 copies in existence. For a 1:100 comic this is an extremely small print run.

What make matters worse is that many of the 200 copies have printing defects making high grade copies extremely difficult to get. You typically only see 1 or 2 copies per year for sale on eBay.

First time I've heard that there were printing defects associated with the ASM # 667 Dell'Otto variant run. Is this a generalization since most comics runs have defects of some sort ?
  • Posted: January 9, 2017 4:33:05 pm
  • No, this is from actual observation. I have personally seen 6 copies of the book and 4 had damaged back covers and all had the same damage, a crease on the back cover. I have heard the same thing from a few other people.

• Posted: January 9, 2017 6:18:14 pm
  • I received very telling information from someone who "claims" they have insider information that nearly 45% of the 225 copies printed were damaged.

This means only 100 copies would grade out VF/NM or better which is extremely minimal for a title such as Amazing Spider-Man.
  • Posted: January 9, 2017 9:20:28 pm
  • LovetheLizard said:
    I received very telling information from someone who "claims" they have insider information that nearly 45% of the 225 copies printed were damaged.

This means only 100 copies would grade out VF/NM or better which is extremely minimal for a title such as Amazing Spider-Man.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if a printing defect is common/prevalent in a production run then the defect is considered normal and the comic is not downgraded by the printing defect.
  • Posted: January 9, 2017 9:23:35 pm
  • That would not be a true statement.

• Posted: January 9, 2017 9:36:47 pm
  • joe_mccarty said:
    That would not be a true statement.

Started a new thread on this since I don't want to hijack this.
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Alien Books's Kerberos in the Silver Rain Soft Cover # 1
  • DC Comics's Nightwing Issue # 113d
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 6
  • Marvel Comics's What If? Venom Issue # 3btc/ce