feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 11, 2017 2:41:03 am
  • Just got done with the 2 issue Space: Above and Beyond - The Gauntlet, by Topps tonight.
    Thought it was 4 issues, but got it mixed up with some other comics. . .

Space: Above and Beyond was a short-lived (one season) Fox T.V. show in the 90's that focused on a squadron of U.S. Marine Corps space fighter pilots during a war with insect-like alien invaders known as "Chigs". It was pretty gritty and realistic and still holds up fairly well if you can ignore the 90's-Tastic CGI effects. As a former Marine myself, I was a big fan and hated to see it go after only one season. . .especially since they ended it on a cliffhanger!

As for the comics?

Overall, this two-shot doesn't capture the feel of the T.V. show at all. The art is average to borderline bad. The story is by the numbers and fairly dull. I was pretty disappointed by the whole thing. Just binge the single season of Space: Above and Beyond instead. This is hardly worth the time it takes to read it. It's true Longbox Junk.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1420/longbox-junk-space-above-and-beyond-the-gauntlet

Up next. . .

Since this was sort of an accidental two-shot, how about a few more on purpose?
    Bite-size chunks of Hellboy, Friday the 13th, and Zorro!

Last edited April 22, 2017 10:24:19 pm
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: April 17, 2017 4:27:04 am
  • Just got done with some more two-shots tonight: Hellboy, Zorro, and Friday the 13th. . .

HELLBOY: THE ISLAND (Dark Horse)

I'm a huge fan of Mignola's art, but I had a bit of a hard time getting through this one because of its reliance on established continuity from stories I hadn't read. If you aren't familiar with Hellboy, then I'd definitely suggest you don't start trying to get familiar with this two shot because it dumps you right into ongoing events. It's for established fans only. But hey. . .great Mignola art! So there's that.

ZORRO VERSUS DRACULA (Topps)

I'm a BIG Zorro fan. Between that and the throwback nature to the monster comics of the 70's that I ALSO love, I really liked this two shot. It was a little too wordy in places and Dracula was defeated with a handy plot device in a laughable way, but this was all pretty good fun. If you're a Zorro fan or love those old monster comics, you're definitely going to want to check this out.

FRIDAY THE 13th: BAD LAND (Wildstorm)

I like the idea that Camp Crystal Lake has a bloody curse on it from the past that carries on to the present day, but the execution in telling the tale wasn't that great. This story is definitely for Friday the 13th fans only. I really can't think of anyone else who would be even slightly interested.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1421/longbox-junk-two-shots-hellboy-zorro-and-friday-the-13th

Coming next. . .

It's the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles we all loved as kids. . .but with guns, blood, and Simon Bisley!

Image's 4 issue "Bodycount" mini.

Last edited April 22, 2017 10:29:04 pm
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: April 21, 2017 2:45:03 am
  • Just finished up with Image's 4 issue "Bodycount" mini tonight. . .

I can think of no other reason for this unusual story to exist other than as Kevin Eastman raising a 4 issue middle finger to the critics who wanted the Ninja Turtles to be more violent.

Given that theory, it succeeds brilliantly. There's been nothing this bloody and violent that I know of connected to the turtles since. Furthermore, his choice of artist for this ultra-violent story in Simon Bisley was inspired and perfect.

Overall, once I realized what the true purpose of this mini was (probably. . .once again, just my own theory), I enjoyed it. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone easily offended, but if you're not one of those people who need safe spaces over a lost election, take a look at this strange little artifact from the 90's. Fans of Simon Bisley will want to check this out regardless.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1422/longbox-junk-bodycount

Up next. . .

Someone asked where the blog post was on the SEVENTY ISSUES of Jonah Hex I reviewed was at, and I realized I didn't make one. So let's fix that with a heapin' helpin' of the crustiest bounty hunter to ever ride the range. . .the one and only Jonah Hex!

Last edited April 24, 2017 12:56:25 am
  • Posted: April 22, 2017 5:58:58 pm

Maybe that was harsh. It's not worthless. It would be helpful if you posted pictures because I am more likely to recognize a comic by the cover. Very Happy

Words are so complicated. i like pictures. Whistle
  • Posted: April 22, 2017 7:55:55 pm
  • Well. . .since I talk about the covers in some of the reviews, why not? Good idea!

At least a couple covers anyway. Might get a bit much on some of the full runs.
    I don't think the mods would appreciate me posting 20+ covers in one forum post. . .

Last edited April 22, 2017 10:12:08 pm
  • Posted: April 22, 2017 11:41:31 pm
  • Thanks! I just saw that you were posting on a series and I was thinking... I might own an issue from that series. If so the art stood out and I could have commented. I thought the #1 of Space Above & Beyond had a blue cover. Hmm!

• Posted: April 23, 2017 8:42:29 am
  • You're thinking of the 3 issue adaptation Topps did of the pilot episode.
  • Posted: April 23, 2017 6:31:10 pm
  • Okay. I didn't remember the second series.
  • Posted: April 24, 2017 2:34:13 am
  • Actually, I read, updated, and reviewed these back in December but forgot to make a blog post on them. . .

JONAH HEX (Vol.2) DC

All Seventy issues worth. . .that's a LOT of Jonah Hex to read in one shot, folks.

If there's one conclusion I've come to at the end of the series it's that although it's great that they maintained the same writing team through 70 issues, I feel that this title would have been better off with rotating creative teams doing one shots and short story arcs, which worked well on Batman's Legends of The Dark Knight, and would have been a perfect fit here.

The regular writers were pretty good, but they rarely managed to reach a level beyond "pretty good". The rotating artists were great, but it seems that 50% of the issues relied on Jordi Bernet. He definitely evolved as an artist through the series' run, but more artists would have been even better.

Last. . .I feel this book would have been not just good, but great, if it had been under the Vertigo imprint, where the artists and writers would have been able to delve even more deeply into the darkness that dwells in mankind.

All in all, I enjoyed this series, but I feel sad that, on taking it all in at once, and with the hindsight that ten years down the road affords, I see that it COULD have been so much better.

LINKS:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1423/longbox-junk-jonah-hex-part-1-issues-1-25

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1424/longbox-junk-jonah-hex-part-2-issues-26-50

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1425/longbox-junk-jonah-hex-part-3-issues-51-70

Up next. . .

Guess what? When I was looking at things after it was pointed out that I had forgotten to make a blog post on Jonah Hex, I noticed I had ALSO forgotten to do a blog post on the 20 issues of Dynamite's Zorro I did AND the follow up 12 issues of Dynamite's Zorro Rides Again.

So. . .32 issues of EL ZORRO!

Last edited April 24, 2017 2:41:53 am
  • Posted: April 25, 2017 2:13:41 am
  • Just finished up with another forgotten blog post from December. . .

ZORRO (Dynamite)

Zorro is on the short list as one of my all-time favorite characters.

Movies, T.V. shows, comics, novels. I love all things Zorro. . .so my standards are a little high as far as this character is concerned. . .and I'm happy to say that I was extremely pleased with the first 8 issues of this run and the re-told origin of Zorro. As far as I'm concerned, this is now the definitive origin of Zorro. . .the "Batman: Year One" of the character, as it were.

Overall, as far as this entire series is concerned, my general impression is that Wagner and Francavilla are an extremely impressive team. The issues without the original creative team felt weak.

My second impression is that Dynamite was the right company to trust with the legacy of this great character. I also have the older Topps Zorro and it devolved quickly into costumed superheroics, "Bad Girl" cheesecake, and over the top Batman-Style villains. The Dynamite version is grounded in a more realistic world and is the better for it.

My third impression is that even though this run was impressive in many ways, there was some disappointing waste in making Diego part of a secret society that had existed for centuries devoted to seeking justice. . .and then it was never mentioned again. I feel that was a waste of a perfectly good addition to the Zorro mythos. Maybe if the series had run more than 20 issues they would have touched on that aspect a bit more.

All in all, I enjoyed this series and if anybody needs an introduction to the character of Zorro, I would highly suggest starting right here, especially with the first 8 issues.

LINKS:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1426/longbox-junk-zorro-part-1-issues-1-10

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1427/longbox-junk-zorro-part-2-issues-11-20

Next up. . .

Now that we've seen how good Zorro can be, how about seeing how bad it can get?

Dynamite's 12 issue Zorro Rides Again!
249 posts • Page 1 of 25
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 51 years, 85 days, 3 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Devil's Due Publishing's Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the Freshman Force Issue ashcan
  • Marvel Comics's Marvel Comics Presents Issue # 2 - 2nd print
  • DC Comics's Teen Titans Issue # 29
  • Lagunitas Comics Group's The Waldos' Special Ale Issue nn