feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 21, 2017 3:07:09 am
  • Just finished up with issues 13-19 of Dynamite's Green Hornet. . .

This batch of issues were extremely hit and miss for me. The first post-Kevin Smith movie script arc really left a sour taste with its bungled ending. The third arc was pretty good, but extremely derivative of Star Wars (and any other "Student turns on his Master" story). But the thing is that despite the rough patches, Green Hornet is still a decent book. It keeps WANTING to swerve, but is still on the rails for now. This surprises me. The other Dynamite "Legacy Heroes" series I've reviewed (Zorro, Lone Ranger) were off the rails and over the cliff long before 19 issues went by. . .

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1406/longbox-junk-green-hornet-part-3-issues-13-19

Coming next. . .

We ain't even halfway done with Green Hornet yet. 23 more issues to go!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: March 24, 2017 3:36:45 am
  • More Green Hornet. . .Issues 20-24.

With this batch of issues and the departure of the last member of the original creative team, Green Hornet goes from pretty good to pretty bad quickly. I'm starting to not want to read the next issue. The story is becoming derivative of earlier issues. I see hints of a series departure from modern pulp into teen sidekicks and supervillains. "Fight of the month" filler issues are starting to pop up. The art is extremely uneven.

The pain has officially begun. Sadly, I know it just gets worse.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1408/longbox-junk-green-hornet-part-4-issues-20-24

Next up. . .MORE Green Hornet!

Last edited March 24, 2017 3:39:54 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: March 28, 2017 2:49:33 am
  • Just finished up with some more of Dynamite's Green Hornet. . .Issues 25-31.

SHORT VERSION: Please, God. . .WHY? Crying or Very sad

This batch of Green Hornet was pretty much just plain bad. Dynamite probably should have stopped when they were somewhat ahead. The 'Arms Race" arc is some of the worst comics I have ever read. . .with blatant Robin ripoff sidekick, sketchy, unfinished art, and oversexualized female characters. . .including underage girls. This series has become an awkward shadow of what it started out as. Where it was once a great tribute and modern update to a classic character, now it's just embarrassing.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1409/longbox-junk-green-hornet-part-5-issues-25-31

Coming next. . .

More Green Hornet, God help me.
  • Posted: March 29, 2017 4:36:45 am
  • Just finished up with the final batch of Dynamite's Green Hornet issues. Found out I don't have the full run like I thought. I'm missing #32, 36, and 37. But not to worry, I'm sure they were just as bad as the rest. . .

After starting off SO strong on this series, reading the last handful of issues just made me sad. It was obvious where Dynamite stopped caring (Issue #28 ), and that's a damn shame because Kevin Smith left them a great foundation. At the end they wasted it all on embarrassing, derivative plots, some of the worst art I've ever seen in a regular comic series from a major publisher and completely out of place superhero/supervillain nonsense.

The worst part about this all is that the whole IDEA was ruined. Except for appearing in the "Masks 2" mini (also by Dynamite), we never got to see these characters again. The back half of this series left me with such a bitter, disappointed feeling of waste that I find it hard to suggest it to anybody. Do yourself a favor. . .if you decide to check out this version of Green Hornet, PLEASE stop reading at issue #27. Issues 28-42 have no real reason to exist.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1410/longbox-junk-green-hornet-part-6-issues-33-42

Coming next. . .

What's bigger than a one-shot, but not quite a full mini-series? Two-Shots!
    Two issue stories: Punisher, Hellboy, The Thing, Predator and Magnus The Robot Fighter.

Last edited March 29, 2017 11:03:53 am
  • Posted: March 31, 2017 3:47:25 am
  • Just got done with a couple of Two-Shots. . .Predator vs. Magnus, Robot Fighter and Hellboy: Almost Colossus.

PREDATOR VS. MAGNUS, ROBOT FIGHTER (Dark Horse/Valiant)

I'm not a big Magnus, Robot Fighter fan, but I DO love me some Predator. . .so this two-shot fell a little flat for me. There was nothing wrong with it overall, and it was interesting to see a FAR future Predator visit to Earth, but I had a hard time getting behind this story since I have no particular like for the hero or the world he lives in. If you are a fan of Magnus (Valiant's version) then you might really like this book, as it's basically a Magnus book with a Predator being his "Monster of the month".

HELLBOY: ALMOST COLOSSUS (Dark Horse)

I'm a huge fan of Mignola's art, and this early Hellboy stuff is some premium Mignola at his best. Unfortunately, this story just feels like filler to tie up loose ends and do a bit of setup between two bigger stories (Wake The Devil and Conqueror Worm). It's almost like Mignola (or maybe Dark Horse) felt like he HAD to put out something Hellboy while he was working on his next big story. Really, it could have fit into one issue. Still, there wasn't anything really WRONG with it, I just had a hard time thinking of a reason for it to exist when (by dropping the backup) it could have just been the first issue of the next story.

And the backup? Let's just say whatever Gary Gianni was smoking. . .I want some. Shocked

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1411/longbox-junk-two-shots-part-1-predator-vs-magnus-robot-fighter-and-hellboy-almost-colossus

Coming next. . .

More Two-Shots! The Thing From Another World and Trial of The Punisher.
  • Posted: April 3, 2017 3:03:20 am
  • A couple more two-shots tonight. . .The Thing From Another World and Trial of The Punisher.

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (Dark Horse)

If you are any sort of a fan of horror movies or horror comics, you owe it to yourself to find this great little two shot from Dark Horse's early days! This story really delivers where other horror comics barely show up. And the art is FANTASTIC! Even if you don't really like horror comics and want to know what a sequel to the horror classic "The Thing" would have looked like, take a look at these comics and find out.

THE PUNISHER: TRIAL OF THE PUNISHER (Marvel)

Despite wondering why they didn't have a lot more courtroom security on The Punisher. . .a man known for killing hundreds and constantly escaping the authorities. . .I really liked this unusual little Punisher story. The art was more than worth the admission price alone on this one. If you like The Punisher, you'll love this story. If you don't, then it's not going to do a thing to change your mind. In other words, very well done, but pretty much for fans only.

So there they are. . .a pair of GREAT little two-shots! I highly suggest both of them.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1414/longbox-junk-two-shots-part-2-the-thing-from-another-world-the-trial-of-the-punisher

Coming next. . .

The comic book adaptation of the movie sequel to a comic book adaptation movie.

Wait. Did I get that right? Confused

The Crow: City of Angels.

• Posted: April 4, 2017 3:23:00 am
  • Just finished up with Kitchen Sink's 3 issue The Crow: City of Angels movie tie in tonight. . .

As a fan of the movie, I liked this mini. If you aren't already a Crow fan, or are a sensitive type, this will probably not be your cup of tea. I liked that it was based on the original script, even though that meant the ending was definitely NOT a happy one. The art was unique, and not really my favorite style, but it fit the grim and unearthly tone of this particular story very nicely.

My main problem with this mini was that it felt extremely rushed and compressed from start to finish. It probably would have benefitted from a 4th issue to give a bit more impact and meaning to events that seem almost disconnected in the finished product.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1415/longbox-junk-the-crow-city-of-angels

Up next. . .

Even though I don't have the full run of the series, old school Brave and Bold are pretty much all one shots anyway, right? So let's head back to the 80's and take a look at some crazy team-ups!

Brave and Bold. . .Batman teaming up with Swamp Thing, Huntress, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Joker, Superboy, and I. . .Vampire!

• Posted: April 5, 2017 3:47:51 am
  • Just got done with the first handful of Brave and Bold tonight. . .issues 176, 184, 185, and 186.

This first batch of Brave and Bold was hit and miss. And when it misses, it misses big. It's almost hilarious how bad issues 185 and 186 are. Of course, you can't expect the bar to be TOO high on what was pretty much the 80's printed version of shovelware social media games. . .newsstand clickbait meant to gather money from kids who hadn't learned the difference between good and crap yet.

That's right. I said it.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1416/longbox-junk-the-brave-and-the-bold-part-1-issues-176-184-185-and-186

Coming next. . .

More Brave and Bold!
  • Posted: April 6, 2017 3:08:51 am
  • Finished up a second handful of DC's Brave and Bold tonight. . .Issues 191, 192, 195 & 196.

This handful of Brave and Bold really only had ONE good issue in it.
    I don't have the full run, but I have the definite feeling that 1 to 3 good/bad is the basic ratio.

Even from the limited number of issues I do have, it's pretty plain to see that this was a series that really didn't try too hard. . .sort of like that one guy at at work who just does what he has to do and nothing else. He knows he's never going to get a great review from management, but he doesn't care as long as he just gets paid.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1417/longbox-junk-the-brave-and-the-bold-part-2-issues-191-192-195-196

Up next. . .

Meet a man who has denied himself all pleasure except for the beautiful screams of the wicked.
    R.E. Howard's grim puritan himself, Solomon Kane, in Dark Horse's "Red Shadows" mini.

Last edited April 6, 2017 3:10:10 am
  • Posted: April 10, 2017 2:57:24 am
  • Just back to work after my weekend and finished reading Dark Horse's 4 issue Solomon Kane: Red Shadows mini.

To me, Solomon Kane is one of the most unique characters out there. . .not nearly as well known as other R.E. Howard creations like Red Sonja, King Kull, or Conan. . .but still a great character. For those who are not familiar, Kane is basically a combination of The Punisher and Blade The Vampire Hunter, created long before either of those characters and set in the late 1500's/early 1600's. If you like dark stories about the supernatural and those who fight it, then definitely check out some Solomon Kane (Most of his earlier comic appearances are from Marvel).

As a big fan of Solomon Kane, I really liked this mini. The art was spectacular and the writing was fast-paced and exciting. The setting for the final two issues was a little strange, but it wasn't off-putting enough to keep me from enjoying the story. I found the first issue to be the best. . .as a stand-alone story set in a dark, haunted corner of England, it really fit the character of Solomon Kane the best. But really, the whole mini was some high quality comics. I highly suggest this nice little hidden gem of Longbox Junk!

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1419/longbox-junk-solomon-kane-red-shadows

Coming next. . .

It's not about random "Space Marines". It's about the United States Marine Corps in space!

Space: Above and Beyond!

Last edited April 10, 2017 2:59:48 am
260 posts • Page 1 of 26
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 52 years, 312 days, 2 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Excellence Issue # 4
  • Image Comics's Excellence Issue # 4b
  • Marvel Comics's Powers of X Issue # 3
  • Cave Pictures Publishing's The Blessed Machine Issue # 6