feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 26, 2021 2:47:28 am
  • And the Longbox Junk 2021 Halloween Party is still going strong! Dancing

Check out a creepy tale of gothic terror featuring the fantastic art of horror master Kelley Jones. It's DC Black Label's "Daphne Byrne" #1. Check it out!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1877/longbox-junk-halloween-daphne-byrne-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

DC's Black Label serves up another horror hit! With well-written characters inhabiting a world on the edge of conflict between the industrial revolution and belief in the paranormal, this gaslight gothic tale of the supernatural is a great Halloween read!

Throw in the twisted, nightmarish art of comic horror master Kelley Jones and this is a comic I can heartily recommend to any horror fan! From page one to page done, this one's a winner!

Up Next. . .

It's probably THE hottest horror title on the shelves right now. The "value" of the first handful of issues has gone through the roof, so this one ain't exactly what you'd call Longbox Junk. I'm talking about BOOM! Studios' horror hit "Something is Killing the Children".

Let's take a look at the first issue and see if it lives up to the hype.

Be there or be square!

Last edited October 26, 2021 2:47:58 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 27, 2021 2:08:56 am
  • That's right. . .MORE Longbox Junk Halloween Horror fun! Dancing

Let's check out the first issue of what's probably THE hottest new horror series out there, "Something is Killing the Children".

The first issue of this is over a hundred bucks, so it's gotta be good, right?

RIGHT?

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1878/longbox-junk-halloween-something-is-killing-the-children-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, this first issue of "Something is killing the children" is disappointing. The writer takes a simple idea and tries to make it mysterious and complicated through wordy, stilted dialogue full of exposition. . .but at the same time, answering no questions. It's backed up by sketchy art with a strange focus on one character's eyes.

This story isn't BAD, but it's certainly not as great as one would think, based on all the glowing reviews and back issue "value". I would definitely call this one overrated. If you want to check it out without shelling out a paycheck worth of cash on overpriced back issues, it's been collected. Don't say I didn't warn you, though. Despite the popularity of this series, I can't really recommend it.

Up Next. . .

I'm not sure I can get any more Halloween fun in, since I'm pretty busy at work, but I'll try. Not sure what, though. I guess if I can get another one in, I'll just have to surprise myself.

Be there or be square!

Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: November 9, 2021 11:59:16 pm
  • October is done and so's the Halloween fun. Sad

Now it's time to get back into the bargain bin! Dancing

Let's head back to the 90's for a look at a relic of Image's early "We wanna be Marvel!" days. Check out WildC.A.T.s #1 with me!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1879/longbox-junk-wildcats-1

THE SHORT VERSION:
    On the one hand, we have a story that's pretty average. It doesn't quite reach the bare minimum first issue expectations of introducing new characters and situations in an easy to read and understand manner. It also fails to hook me into wanting to read the next issue, with characters thrown so quickly into the mix that it's hard to get invested in what happens to any of them.

On the other hand, we have a fantastic example of some great art from one of the great modern artists, Jim Lee. His pencils are dynamic, vibrant, and interesting once you get past some of the notorious 90's excesses.

Taken together, there's a comic worth reading here. The story isn't ALL bad, and the art definitely hits some 90's low points here and there. Overall, it adds up to a decent comic that is still pretty readable even almost 30 years down the road (1992 was almost THIRTY YEARS ago? , I feel old!)

If you're digging through a bargain bin, chances are you WILL spot one of these. Go ahead, spend a buck and give it a read. It's not the best 90's comic I've ever read, but it's far from the worst.

Up Next. . .

More of that sweet Longbox Junk that you're practically guaranteed to find!

How about we take a look at something from Marvel's New Universe?
    DP7? Justice? Nightmask? Psi-Force? Star Brand? I've got 'em ALL!

Decisions. . .decisions.

Be there or be square!

Last edited November 9, 2021 11:59:47 pm
  • Posted: November 18, 2021 2:57:05 am
  • Nestled in a strange little space between the Bronze Age and the Modern Age of comics is the infamous Marvel experiment known as the New Universe!

Let's check out the first issue of what is commonly regarded as one of the worst New Universe titles. . .Justice!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1880/longbox-junk-justice-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, Justice #1 is a great first issue. It's not the best comic I've ever read, but it's nowhere near the worst. It's a simple and solid opening for a comic series that I'll recommend to anyone looking for a brutal Punisher-style story with a super power twist.

Up Next. . .

How about I surprise myself by reaching into a random box of my collection and reviewing whatever I pull out? Is it gonna be a retro review? Is it gonna be a mini-series? A mainstream superhero comic? Some strange relic?

Let's find out!

Be there or be square.
  • Posted: November 25, 2021 2:42:27 am
  • Happy Thanksgiving, Comic Book Realm! Dancing

Join me on a trip back to 1984 for a tale featuring Conan the Barbarian encountering a savage beast with a tragic secret!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1881/longbox-junk-retro-review-conan-the-barbarian-158-1984

THE SHORT VERSION:

A simple, action-packed story with that timeless feel needed for a good Conan tale, backed up by page after page of fantastic artwork from a comic book legend. . .what more could you want?

Up Next. . .

I haven't decided yet, but I WOULD like to take this opportunity on the eve of Thanksgiving to thank each and every person reading this for spending a little bit of your precious time here with me. I am indeed sincerely thankful that there are fellow comic fans out there who like to read these reviews that nobody asked me to write. I wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving!
  • Posted: November 25, 2021 10:42:52 am
  • Atom, you absolutely don't need to thank us CBR members who read your killer reviews (no one asked for). We should be the ones thanking you for your well written and on-the-nose reviews of comic books stories from the past.

Thank you very much for all your time spent!! Have a great Thanksgiving too!!
  • Posted: November 29, 2021 1:23:28 pm
  • Thank YOU Atom!

Happy Holidays to all!
  • Posted: November 30, 2021 5:30:17 pm
  • I hate to pile on, especially when I am late to the party, but I have no choice but to agree with brucifer and madtruk! Thanks to you, Atom, for helping to make the CBR a cool place to hang out, and thank you for all your on point reactions! If you ever get around to doing any more on the New U I would love to see your takes on what I consider to be their best title (DP7) and their worst (not Justice, but actually Kickers, Inc.! Best to you,
    Tenzil
  • Posted: November 30, 2021 6:13:03 pm
  • I am late too but your posts are great!!! Thank You !!! Love reading them Smile
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    NYX #3 - 1st X-23
    Amazing Spider Man #78 - 1st Prowler
    Avengers #55 - 1st Ultron
    Amazing Spider Man #134 - 1st Tarantula, 2nd Punisher
    Avengers #196 - 1st full Taskmaster
  • Posted: December 20, 2021 2:33:21 am
  • I've been a bit under the weather, but I'm back with some Longbox Junk!

There's been a lot of tribute and talk about George Perez lately. I'm also throwing in my two cents' worth of admiration for the comic legend by spotlighting some of his work. . .with a Longbox Junk twist!

It's a George Perez comic without ONE SINGLE PANEL of the George Perez artwork everyone loves! That's right. . .I'm taking a look at George Perez comic WRITER instead of George Perez comic ARTIST!

1996's Marvel/DC crossover, Silver Surfer/ Superman. Check it out!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1882/longbox-junk-silver-surfer-superman

THE SHORT VERSION:

George Perez the writer isn't quite on the same level as George Perez the artist, but overall, this is a comic that is so much fun to read that I don't even care. The story is fun, the art is fun, this is just a FUN comic from cover to cover!

Sometimes we get so caught up in the dramatic stories of our four-color heroes. . .their loves, their losses, their titanic conflicts, their inner angst. . .that we forget that comics can be FUN. This story is a perfect breath of fresh air. A nice little break.

Is it the best story ever written? No. Not even close. But is it FUN? Yes. And for that, I give George Perez credit where credit is due. He may be known more as an artist, and he's definitely going to be remembered that way by most comic fans, but he can sure write a fun story when he wants to!

All in all, I found this one shot story to be a nugget of Longbox Junk gold. Check it out if you just want to read a fun little story that shows a different side of superstar artist George Perez. And not for nothin' but let's not forget page after page of some very nice art by Ron Lim. It's just a really good comic from end to end.

Up Next. . .

The review I ORIGINALLY had planned.

A four-issue series that ponders the following question: What if legendary martial artist Bruce Lee didn't actually die, but was frozen in suspended animation and revived today? Join me next time and we'll find out!

It's Bruce Lee: The Dragon Rises from Magnetic Press (Yeah, I've never heard of them either)

Be there or be square!
402 posts • Page 1 of 41
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 64 years, 347 days, 17 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Darkhawk Issue # 5illum-b
  • Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod's The Beginning to Abraham Issue nn
  • Todd Publications's Tundra Issue # 1
  • DC Comics's Wonder Woman: Evolution Issue # 3