feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: February 22, 2017 3:32:40 am
  • Just got done with Marvel's Captain America: Theater of War tonight. . .

SHORT VERSION: A collection of one shots with the subtle message of "AMERICA. . .&%$# YEAH!"

Overall, I'd say I enjoyed this "series" of one shots. Some I liked a bit more than others. My favorite was probably Operation Zero Point for it just being a damn good Captain America WWII story with fantastic artwork. My least favorite would be To Soldier On. It's just sort of awkward and forced to try and have Captain America in a story about Iraq. The most interesting one was America First, as a densely-written look back at the extreme nationalism and politics of the 1950's Cold War era.

But they ALL had their good points. There wasn't a truly BAD one in the bunch. I'll go ahead and suggest them all. Some of them might not be agreeable to others, depending on your personal level of tolerance for unashamed America flag waving, but all in all a pretty good collection of stories.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1396/longbox-junk-captain-america-theater-of-war

Up next. . .
    He's insanely jealous about his hot girlfriend. He has no powers.
    He's just a guy with a stolen jetpack and a lack of common sense.
    He's one of my favorite heroes. . .The Rocketeer!

IDW's 4 issue Rocketeer Adventures 2.

Last edited February 22, 2017 3:36:44 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: February 23, 2017 3:46:24 am
  • Just got done reading IDW's 4 issue Rocketeer Adventures 2 mini tonight. . .

Overall, I found this to be a great mini, and would highly suggest it. It has a few rough spots here and there, but good taken with bad, I feel that there was a lot of respect shown for the character and a pretty wide-ranging variety of stories and art with a nice, high-quality presentation by IDW.

The only real BAD point of this series is that the reader is pretty much assumed to already be a fan of The Rocketeer and to know all about the character coming in. This is probably not the best doorway to becoming a fan of The Rocketeer if you're coming in cold with little or no knowledge of the character. It's a good tribute to a great character, but a lousy introduction.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1397/longbox-junk-rocketeer-adventures-2

Up next. . .

Anybody remember that little thing DC did a few years back that, you know. . .CHANGED THEIR WHOLE PUBLISHING LINE? That little thing called "Flashpoint"? Remember how they put out a bunch of little mini's about characters that we never really got to hear much about again?

DC's Flashpoint: Project Superman 3 issue mini.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: March 6, 2017 2:30:27 am
  • Just finished up with DC's 3 issue Flashpoint: Project Superman mini tonight. . .

Overall, for an event tie-in (and pretty much a throwaway one at that), I really liked Project Superman a lot. . .especially the first two issues. The third issue was really more of a tie-in than the other two. In particular, I liked the first issue the best, and feel that it could have stood alone as a one-shot story of science gone wrong in the name of patriotism. I liked that the villain of this mini was a good man driven mad through no fault of his own. . .through the hubris of the government trying to create something they had no business trying to create, and then trying to hide it once things went wrong. If you look past the crossover ties, there's a really good, really dark story here.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1399/longbox-junk-flashpoint-project-superman

Up next. . .

Anybody remember when the Joker had a bushy hobo beard and was openly gay? That time Deadshot took a bullet to the face from a rando villain? And then Alfred and Bruce Wayne had a short discussion about the Bat-Penis? Welcome to the wonderful world of Kevin Smith. . .

Batman: Cacophony!

Last edited March 9, 2017 1:10:48 am
  • Posted: March 6, 2017 8:59:14 pm
  • nice posts. one man's junk is another man's treasure sometimes. unfortunately, i'd bet 1/2 my collection is considered "junk" to most!
  • Posted: March 9, 2017 2:35:40 am
  • SwampThing said:
    nice posts. one man's junk is another man's treasure sometimes. unfortunately, i'd bet 1/2 my collection is considered "junk" to most!

Same here. . .but I'd put mine at about 75%. My "value" books take up about 1 box.
    It seems the stuff I like to read isn't exactly the same stuff other people want to pay good money for. . .
  • Posted: March 9, 2017 2:39:45 am
  • Just finished up reading the Batman: Cacophony 3 issue mini tonight. . .

Overall, I found it to be okay. Not great, not bad. . .just okay.

The main villain was weak, the art was extremely hit and miss, and there were some strange WTF character moments. On the other hand, the dialogue was pretty sharp, it had some good insights into the Batman/Joker conflict, and the Adam Kubert cover on the first issue was almost worth the price of admission alone.

Good taken with bad, I'd suggest this. . .but be warned if you're the sensitive snowflake type: There's no "Mature Reader" warning on this, but there probably should be. There's a few pretty crude Kevin Smith moments in there.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1400/longbox-junk-batman-cacophony

Coming Next. . .One shots! I love one shots!

More randomly-pulled single issue stories from my collection:
    Red Sonja, Azrael, G.I. Combat, Scarecrow, Lone Gunmen, Bruce Wayne, and Conan.

• Posted: March 10, 2017 12:56:08 am
  • Got a message asking me how I pick my longbox junk and if they can make requests.

Go ahead and request! If I have it, I'll do it.

As for picking. I probably have the nerdiest method possible:
    I have 40 boxes of comics. I roll a 4 sided die to find which group of 10, then I roll a 10 sider to pick a box.
    Then I dig through that box and find my junk. Yeah. . .the dice are leftovers from my long ago D&D days.
  • Posted: March 10, 2017 3:56:46 am
  • Just finished reading a (mostly) fine batch of Longbox Junk one shots tonight. . .

AZRAEL PLUS (DC):
    Team up with The Question.
    Bad story, average art. I found no reason for this to even exist.

G.I. COMBAT FEATURING THE HAUNTED TANK (DC)
    2010 one shot.
    Good story, good art. A lot of nostalgia and respect for the original material.

RED SONJA: VACANT SHELL (Dynamite)
    Sonja royally screws a town full of innocents and ends up not being the hero this time.
    Fantastic art, sort of average story.

LONE GUNMEN (Dark Horse)
    A tie-in to a T.V. show nobody remembers that was a tie-in to another show nobody can forget.
    Pretty good, but for nerds only.

BRUCE WAYNE: AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (Amalgam)
    They packed a lot of WTF? into a pretty short space.
    Great art. Don't try to make sense of the story.

SCARECROW (DC)
    One of the "New Year's Evil" villain one shots.
    Great art, great story. A nice hidden gem.

CONAN: THE WEIGHT OF THE CROWN (Dark Horse)
    Young Conan was NOT a good king. Pretty close to being the perfect Conan story.
    Fantastic art and highly suggested. The best of this bunch.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1401/longbox-junk-one-shots-azrael-plus-gi-combat-red-sonja-the-lone-gunmen-bruce-wayne-scarecrow-conan

Coming next. . .

Feel my pain as ANOTHER one of my favorite characters starts strong and then flies off the rails.
    42 issues of Dynamite's Green Hornet. God help me through the back half. . .

Last edited March 16, 2017 3:45:31 am
  • Posted: March 16, 2017 3:43:39 am
  • Just got done with the first 6 issues (out of 42) of Dynamite's Green Hornet. . .

I love all things Green Hornet, and can't say enough good things about the first part of this series. We'll talk about the back half later. . .but it's not gonna be a good talk. But the first part, based on an unused Kevin Smith movie script, is pure brilliance and highly-suggested, whether you're a Green Hornet fan or have never heard of the character at all.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1404/longbox-junk-green-hornet-part-1-issues-1-6

Coming next. . .

More Green Hornet!

Last edited March 16, 2017 3:45:11 am
  • Posted: March 17, 2017 4:00:30 am
  • Just got done with issues 7-12 of Dynamite's Green Hornet. . .

Except for a few missteps toward the end, the first 10 issues of Dynamite's Green Hornet are pretty much the Green Hornet movie I would MUCH rather see than Seth Rogan's half-baked attempt. . .which, to be fair, had its good moments, but really didn't respect the legacy of the character. And even with a creative team change at issue 11, the series remains strong for now.

Regardless of what happens in issues to come, I would highly suggest the first 10 issues of Green Hornet as some damn fine comic books. It's a crying shame that Kevin Smith's Green Hornet movie never got made.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1405/longbox-junk-green-hornet-part-2-issues-7-12

Coming next. . .

More Green Hornet! 30 more issues to go!

Last edited March 17, 2017 4:01:32 am
255 posts • Page 1 of 26
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 51 years, 340 days, 11 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • BOOM! Studios's Angel Issue # 2d
  • Image Comics's Kick-Ass Issue # 15
  • Valiant Entertainment's Livewire Issue # 7d
  • Papercutz's The Smurfs Soft Cover # 24