feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 20, 2021 12:03:08 am
  • Join me for another Longbox Junk Retro Review!

Take a trip back to 1969 with me as I take a look at another fantastic flea market find featuring the epic art of Neal Adams and the first appearance of his "New" Green Arrow!

It's The Brave and The Bold #85! Check it out!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1867/longbox-junk-retro-review-the-brave-and-the-bold-85-1969

THE SHORT VERSION:

From the fantastic cover to the final panel, this is comic that delivers in a big way! It has an interesting story based around heroes conflicted about how best to serve the public and is backed up by some great Neal Adams artwork.

If you are a Batman fan or Green Arrow fan or a Neal Adams fan in particular, you'll love this comic! But I can certainly recommend it for just about ANY comic fan that wants to see a somewhat unusual story (for the time) that focuses not just on superheroics, but also on the men behind the masks.

Up Next. . .

Spotlighting a few of my more "valuable" lucky flea market finds has been fun, but I've been inspired by Ed Gosney at COOL COMICS IN MY COLLECTION to return to my Longbox Junk roots by taking a look at some. . .Longbox Junk!

Okay, plug time is over! See you next time with some ACTUAL Longbox Junk.

Be there or be square!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 27, 2021 12:58:49 am
  • How about some REAL Longbox Junk? You know, the kind of comics you can almost ALWAYS spot in a bargain bin? That's right. . .I'm talkin' about some early 90's Image comics! This time out I'm taking a look at Wetworks #1. Check it out!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1868/longbox-junk-wetworks-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

An interesting mashup of genres backed up by some very nice, gritty artwork, and a first issue that delivered on my expectations of introducing a story and new characters in a way that makes me want to read the next issue in the series.

Wetworks isn't the greatest comic I've ever read. But it's a long way away from the worst. In my humble opinion, it ain't half bad! If you are a fan of "hard" military stories with some science fiction flavor then Wetworks will definitely be worth your time to give it a look.

Up Next. . .

More of the kind of Longbox Junk I ALWAYS spot in the bargain bin.
    I think I'll head on over to Malibu's Ultraverse and see what's happening.
    Night Man? Yeah. . .why not? Night Man!

Be there or be square.
    Be the first to leave a comment

Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 30, 2021 1:16:52 am
  • Let's take a look at another comic I can almost guarantee you'll find in ANY bargain bin you might happen to be digging through. It's Malibu's "Batman". . .It's NIGHT MAN! Dancing

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1869/longbox-junk-the-night-man-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, this isn't a GREAT comic book. . .but it's a good one. It's got a decent story and some really interesting art. If you're a fan of the more "street level" comic heroes, then Night Man is worth a look, especially if you also enjoy comics that throw a little horror into the superhero mix.

Up Next. . .

It's time for some spooky Longbox Junk October fun!

Last year, I leaned into the older spooky comics in my collection by featuring all Retro Reviews.

This time out, I'm shining the spotlight on NEW horror comics that have come out over the past couple of years. Nothing older than 2019. Let's see what sort of spooky stuff is on the stands these days!

Be there and be scared.

Last edited October 19, 2021 1:59:19 am
  • Posted: October 4, 2021 1:27:34 am
  • Let's get the Longbox Junk Halloween Horror Party started! Dancing

This year, it's all NEW horror!
    First up, DC/Black Label's "The Nice House On The Lake". Check it out. . .

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1870/longbox-junk-halloween-the-nice-house-on-the-lake-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, I found Nice House On The Lake to be a great introduction to a story that seemed like it was going to be one thing and turned out to be completely different. It has a large cast of diverse and well-drawn characters that are thrown together in an almost unimaginable situation. The writer gives them all pretty realistic voices, but be warned about the large amount of profanity in this dialogue-heavy tale.

Going forward, the series digs into the characters and the central mystery, doling out little bits in each issue that keeps me wanting to see what happens next. It's not traditional horror by any means, but horror for today's social media obsessed generation. The only monster to be found (so far) is the unknown.

It's a dark, character-driven mystery with a horrific angle, and it has me hooked and waiting for each issue to come out! Give it a try if you're looking for a horror story that's different and unpredictable.

Up Next. . .

What happens when a mysterious silver coin seems to be the answer to a young musician's dreams?

Well. . .I'm reviewing the comic for the Longbox Junk Halloween Horror party, so you can probably guess it ain't gonna end well. It's Image's "The Silver Coin". Let's check it out!

Be there or be square.

• Posted: October 5, 2021 1:51:40 am
  • Keeping the Longbox Junk Halloween Horror Party going! Dancing

It's the first issue of one of the best new horror anthologies on the shelves RIGHT NOW! Image's "The Silver Coin". Check it out!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1871/longbox-junk-halloween-the-silver-coin-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, we have a story that follows the tried and true path of "Be careful of what you wish for", but given a spark of new life with an interesting 70's setting and well-sketched characters with great dialogue. Once again, be warned that there's a lot of profanity to be found, but it fits in with the rock-n-roll setting of the story.

The story is perfectly backed up with some dark and nightmarish art that serves to compliment, rather than distract. Every page in this comic is worth lingering over for an extra second or two. This first issue is a practically perfect storm of words and art.

In my humble opinion, The Silver Coin is one of the best new horror series out there right now. If you check out ANY of the comics I spotlight during this year's Longbox Junk Halloween Horror Party, check out THIS one. If you're a horror comic fan, take my advice and seek this series out.

Up Next. . .

I'm keeping the Longbox Junk Halloween Horror party going!

It's a comic series based on the hit horror franchise, and a prequel to the latest movie in the series, it's DC's The Conjuring: The Lover. Comic book movie tie-ins are usually hit or miss, without much in between. Which one will this be? Let's find out!

Be there or be square!

Last edited October 5, 2021 1:52:05 am
  • Posted: October 7, 2021 2:38:15 am
  • Dip in and grab another piece of candy from the 2021 Longbox Junk Halloween Horror bucket of all NEW horror comics! Dancing

This time out, I take a look at a comic book tie-in to the popular "Conjuring" movies! It's the first issue of DC's The Conjuring: The Lover. Check it out!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1872/longbox-junk-halloween-the-conjuring-the-lover-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, this is a comic that is just "okay". The stories aren't bad. . .but they aren't particularly great or memorable in any way. The main story that ties into the most recent Conjuring movie is a decent enough introduction with a few creepy moments (to be fair, mostly coming by way of the art), but it's just not interesting enough to hook me into the next issue.

The shorter backup story is a nice little throwback to the "Gotcha" ending horror anthology stories of the past, so I enjoyed it more for nostalgia's sake than anything else.

Never having seen the Conjuring movies, I couldn't see the connections in either story, which might have dropped my opinion down a notch or two compared to someone who might know more about the Conjuring "Universe", so based on my own humble opinion, I can't really recommend this series with so many other great new horror comics out there. . .BUT, if you're a Conjuring fan, you might get more out of this, so go ahead and give it a look.

Up Next. . .

Let's keep the Longbox Junk Halloween Horror Party going with a tale of the strange things happening at a roadside hotel in the middle of nowhere. It's Upshot Comic's "Hotell"!

Be there or be square.
  • Posted: October 12, 2021 2:28:14 am
  • There's strange things happening at a mysterious roadside motel. It's AWA/Upshot's Hotell #1 keeping the 2021 Longbox Junk Halloween Horror Party going! Dancing

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1873/longbox-junk-halloween-hotell-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, this is a story that starts strong and ends up flying off the rails into an extremely obtuse ending. It's well-written and the art is really very nice, but I can't recommend this comic. It's a shame because I like to try and spotlight some of the lesser-known publishers from time to time. They deserve a decent chance to get their stories read just as much as the big boys. Unfortunately, this isn't a story that puts Upshot Comics in a very good light. With so many other great new horror comics out there for your money, I'd say give this one a pass.

Up Next. . .

Let's keep the Halloween Horror Party going with a trip under the sea in search of gold aboard a sunken German U-Boat. Does it go wrong? It's a horror comic! Of COURSE it goes wrong!

It's the first issue of IDW's 2020 undersea horror story, Sea of Sorrows.

Be there or be square!

Last edited October 12, 2021 2:28:53 am
  • Posted: October 13, 2021 1:34:14 am
  • That's right, MORE Longbox Junk Halloween Horror!
    And plenty more to go before the party is done! Dancing

It's terror deep under the sea in the first issue of IDW's "Sea of Sorrows".
    Check it out!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1874/longbox-junk-halloween-sea-of-sorrows-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

I was getting a little worried after hitting two clunkers in a row, but Sea of Sorrows came to the rescue with a pulp adventure/horror story that delivers some great character work and a narrative that hooked me into immediately wanting to read the next issue. The art perfectly evokes the post-WWI setting above the waves, as well as the darkness and isolation at the bottom of the sea.

Overall, this one's a winner! If you're interested in some good pulpy horror, then definitely take a look at Sea of Sorrows.
    Up Next. . .

What happens when five kids find a human brain in a jar? Let's find out!
    It's "Piecemeal" from Aftershock Comics. . .

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: October 19, 2021 1:57:13 am
  • I'm back from a long weekend and ready to keep the 2021 Longbox Junk Halloween Horror Party going! Dancing

Five kids find a human brain in a jar. What happens next?
    Check out my look at Aftershock's "Piecemeal" to find out!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1875/longbox-junk-halloween-piecemeal

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, a very nice horror one shot! The story IS pretty derivative of Clive Barker's Hellraiser, but leaves aside the psycho-sexual elements in favor of mixing in some Stranger Things late 80's nostalgia instead. Thankfully, despite the obvious influences, the writer is able to make it enough of his own story to keep it from being a blatant copycat.

The art is where this comic really shines. It's dark and nightmarish, shaded with pinks and purples that shouldn't work, but do. This comic has a unique look to it that is very interesting and makes me want to find more of the artist's work.

I can definitely recommend this one to anyone looking for a creepy (if somewhat derivative) horror story with some excellent and unusual art. I give Piecemeal the Longbox Junk gold seal of approval!

Up Next. . .

What's a Halloween Horror Party without some aliens? Let's head on over to Area 51 and see if we can get to the bottom of what's REALLY going on, shall we? We shall!

It's Zenoscope's Conspiracy: Area 51.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: October 25, 2021 1:51:59 am
  • Let's keep the 2021 Longbox Junk Halloween Party going with a creepy tale of aliens and government conspiracy! It's Zenoscope's "Conspiracy: Area 51".

Check it out! Dancing

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1876/longbox-junk-halloween-conspiracy-area-51

THE SHORT VERSION:

Conspiracy: Area 51 is a creepy story that makes me want to read more. It blends in conspiracy theory, current events, and mind-bending twists into a narrative that is sure to please anyone interested in possible Government/ Extraterrestrial connections. The art is serviceable, but not bad. It tells the story, but doesn't try to go above and beyond that minimum requirement.

Perhaps the BEST thing about this comic is that it's a Zenescope comic that you can actually read without hiding the cover. Hopefully this is a trend that Zenescope will continue to follow!

Up Next. . .

Keepin' the Longbox Junk Halloween Party going with a trip back to 19th Century New York City and the spooky tale of a young woman beset by paranormal forces! It's DC/Black Label's "Daphne Byrne" #1.

Be there or be square!
480 posts • Page 1 of 48
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 9
  • Image Comics's Feral Issue # 1s.young
  • Graphix's Timid Soft Cover # 1
  • Ablaze Media's Traveling to Mars Issue # 11g