feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 19, 2021 2:00:45 am
  • Action Ace said:
    I first read Avengers #58 when it was reprinted in a Marvel Holiday Treasury Edition, so I got to see all the John Buscema art in large size!

It's still one of my all time favorite comics and a primary reason why Vision is my third favorite Marvel character after Spidey and Captain America.

Vision is probably my LEAST favorite Avenger, but after reading Avengers #58, I can definitely see why people like him. He did get off to quite a good start.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: May 19, 2021 2:04:11 am
  • It's the Merry Month of May! That means two things. . .summer is here and I'm busy enough at work to start falling behind on the Longbox Junk posts. . .AND it's Star Wars Month! Dancing

Enjoy a little Star Wars-flavored Longbox Junk with the Rebel Heist 4 issue mini!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1852/longbox-junk-star-wars-rebel-heist

THE SHORT VERSION:

There's no two ways about it, if you are a Star Wars fan, you'll like this story a lot, and I highly recommend you checking it out if you haven't already.

If you're not a Star Wars fan you might not get as much mileage out of Rebel Heist. It's definitely written with existing fans in mind. That said, give it a try. . .because it touches a few different genres and is told from several viewpoints, you might find it to be a pretty entertaining piece of science fiction action/adventure despite the Star Wars framework around it.

Up Next. . .

One of the more unusual comics in my collection. . .a strange little experiment by Dark Horse in their Star Wars line. You'll see what I mean. It's the Star Wars: Battle of The Bounty Hunters one shot!

Be there or be square!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: May 26, 2021 1:33:30 am
  • Let's take a look at one of the more unusual comics in my collection!

It's the Star Wars: Battle of The Bounty Hunters pop-up comic! Dancing

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1855/longbox-junk-star-wars-battle-of-the-bounty-hunters

THE SHORT VERSION:

There's not much story to be found here, and what little there is, is a retelling of events in another comic. But the story isn't the draw here. This unusual pop-up comic book features some really great painted artwork that makes me want more! At the end of the day, there's not much to Battle of The Bounty Hunters, but it IS fun. Say what you will, there ain't nothing wrong with having some fun in a comic book!

It might be a little hard to track down a copy, but Battle of The Bounty Hunters is just a fun little Star Wars artifact that Star Wars fans both young and young at heart will surely enjoy. I give it an official Longbox Junk gold seal of approval.

Until next time, remember that comics are worth more than money!
  • Posted: June 14, 2021 12:11:49 am
  • Apologies to my regular Longbox Junk readers.

I've gotten messages asking if I've abandoned the blog. The answer is no.

I had to take a break from Longbox Junk and work for a few weeks in order to be with my wife as she underwent multiple surgeries following a car wreck. Things are looking good, though, and they think she can come home tomorrow, so I'll be back in business both here and work shortly.

I've already got the outline done for the next Longbox Junk entry. . .a look at a mini-series that is generally regarded as the FIRST actual comic book mini-series. But for some strange reason, despite holding a permanent spot in the timeline of comic book history, the issues can be found in just about any good bargain bin at Longbox Junk prices.

Thanks for your patience! Join me shortly as I take a look at DC's "World Of Krypton" from 1979 and ponder the reasons why this piece of comic history can be found in the dollar box.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: June 14, 2021 11:47:14 am
  • Atom. I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's accident. You take care of her first, as I'm sure she's taken care of you for years. I love your writing, but "real life" must always take precedence over a hobby. I'll be praying to Odin for her.
  • Posted: June 14, 2021 12:22:42 pm
  • Sorry to hear about your wife Atom, hope she is doing well and makes a full recovery. Pray
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: July 19, 2021 12:33:17 am
  • Once again, sorry for the big delays between a family medical crisis and work, but here I am, back at Longbox Junkin'! Dancing

Let's take a look at what's considered the FIRST actual comic book limited series and ponder why it's pretty much Longbox Junk, as far as "value" goes. . .

DC'S 1979 WORLD OF KRYPTON! Check it out!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1860/longbox-junk-the-world-of-krypton

THE SHORT VERSION:

World of Krypton (mostly the first two issues) is just overstuffed to the point that it's bursting with things that don't move the actual story along. Don't get me wrong. . .it's not BAD. It's actually well-written and the art is interesting, but the story jumps from place to place as it tries to incorporate story elements from almost 30 different sources.

At the end of the day, not being much of a Superman fan, I found this series to be interesting more for the story behind the story than the actual story at hand. If you are a Superman fan and are interested in "Pre-Crisis" Superman continuity, you'll probably get more mileage out of the actual story itself than I did.

I'd say that just for its place in comic book history as the first limited series, World of Krypton deserves to be read at least once. If you spot it in the bargain bin, go ahead and give it a look.

Up Next. . .

It's July! I'm a bit late off the starting line, but how about some Captain America?

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: August 2, 2021 12:36:18 am
  • I've actually had this post up on my other blog for about 5 days now without noticing I'd forgotten to migrate it over here, sorry about that! Sad

What if Captain America weren't revived until today ("today" meaning 1984)?
    Let's find out by taking a look at What If? #44!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1861/longbox-junk-what-if-44

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, this was an interesting comic from a political point of view. It's a commentary on Reagan-Era politics leaning heavily to the left that actually reflects pretty well on the current American political divide.

But beyond that, it's a pretty darn good "How bad can things get?" story about politics wrapped in patriotism. . .even if the ending IS a pretty hard and sudden swing in the opposite direction, and sort of cheesy.

The art in this comic delivers a solid visual half. . .from the great cover to page after page of some pretty darn fine Bronze Age pencils from Sal Buscema.

All in all, unless you're the type to get politically triggered by either criticism OR affirmation of right-wing conservative messages, I can highly recommend this story, especially if you're a fan of Captain America in general and are interested in an early appearance of "Commie Smasher" William Burnside.

Up Next. . .

I got in late on July for Captain America comics, so let's ride that Red, White, and Blue train right into August! It's Captain America meeting Black Panther during WWII. . .with Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos mixed in!

It's Marvel's four-issue "Captain America/ Black Panther: Flags of Our Fathers" series.

Be there or be square!

Last edited August 2, 2021 12:37:28 am
  • Posted: August 26, 2021 3:29:30 am
  • Sorry I haven't been around much, it's crazy busy at work and not much time for comic book readin' and reviewin'. But that doesn't mean it's ALL work and no fun!

Here's a bit of Longbox Junk for you. . .a Marvel Knights 4 issue mini showing us Captain America and Black Panther meeting up for the first time during WWII!

Ready for some Giant Ratzi Robot Punching? Check it out!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1862/longbox-junk-captain-america-black-panther-flags-of-our-fathers

THE SHORT VERSION:

For Captain America fans, you get a Cap that's still a little "green", proving himself in battle. For Black Panther fans, you get a look at a brutal wartime Panther in T'Challa's grandfather. And then you've got Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos doing what they do best. Mix them together in an unusual WWII African setting and you have a pretty darn good little superhero war story.

The artist wasn't the best choice, and there's a trip down the extremely well-worn comic path of giant robot punching, but that's not enough to keep this story down. It's enough to knock it down a notch or two, but all in all, I can recommend Flags of Our Fathers to any fan of Captain America, Black Panther, or WWII comics in general. Give it a try. It's a pretty good read.

Up Next. . .

It's still EXTREMELY busy at work, so I think I'll hit a few one-shots until things settle down a bit. I've picked up some fantastic Flea Market bargains this past month, so maybe some tasty Retro-Reviews.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: September 7, 2021 1:12:31 am
  • Hey there, fine folk of Comic Book Realm!

Strap into the Longbox Junk time machine and take a trip with me back to 1955 for a look inside a fantastic flea market find featuring one of my favorite characters, that mysterious masked man of the west. . .The Lone Ranger!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1864/longbox-junk-retro-review-the-lone-ranger-84

THE SHORT VERSION:

If you are a Lone Ranger fan, you will love this comic! Heck, the cover alone should be enough to make you love this comic. But this comic will also appeal to fans of Golden Age western comics in general. This was a lucky find for me, and it's a little more "valuable" than my usual Longbox Junk fare, so finding a copy in decent shape might be a bit difficult. That said, keep your eye out! I found this in "the wild" so there might be more of them out there just waiting to be found.

Up Next. . .

I'm thinking I'll spotlight another one of my recent great flea market finds.

But which one? Stick around and find out. . .

Be there or be square!
480 posts • Page 1 of 48
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable & Deadpool Issue # 46c
  • Marvel Comics's Edge of Spider-Verse Issue # 2h
  • Marvel Comics's Gambit Issue # 3
  • David Heath Jr.'s No Sex Issue # 17