feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 26, 2020 10:45:39 am
  • I was reading this monthly book as it was coming out back in the '90s. I knew Chuck Dixon was leaving and being replaced by J.M. DeMatteis. When I saw the cover to #26 (by the mighty Bill Sienkiewicz) I must admit that I was hoping for some more Volume 1 magic. The five-issue run of Scarlet Redemption was a complete mess.

I will apologize for all Moon Knight fans to Atom for having to review that awful run. I read your "long version" (of course) and I agree with just about everything you mentioned.
  • Posted: December 10, 2020 12:06:47 am
  • It's time for another hefty helping of Longbox Junk! Dancing

I'm still on my epic journey through all sixty issues of Marc Spector: Moon Knight. It's becoming a bit of a slog, but I ain't a quitter, son!

Part 4. . .issues #31 - 40. Check it out!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1830/longbox-junk-marc-spector-moon-knight-part-4-issues-31-40

THE SHORT VERSION:

This batch was a pretty mixed bag, but taken as a whole, beyond a few moments, there wasn't anything to be found that climbed up past "Pretty Good".

I liked Terry Kavanagh's taking Moon Knight back into his two-fisted adventuring mode. Unfortunately, he fails to recapture the simple and straightforward nature that Dixon brought to the character. Kavanagh tried to put his own stamp on the character by molding Moon Knight into a mainstream marvel superhero, but ultimately wastes the potential of the "New" Moon Knight on some pretty bad storylines.

With the last issue, I saw some improvement, but there's still PLENTY of room for more.

Up Next. . .

We're two-thirds or the way through, but we ain't done yet!
    My epic journey through Marc Spector: Moon Knight continues with issues 41 - 50.

Moon Knight crosses over with just about every hero in the Marvel Universe as he plays a part in one of Marvel's most ambitious and massive crossover events they've ever done. . .It's INFINITY WAR!

Be there or be square.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: December 29, 2020 2:22:06 am
  • Sorry this one was a bit late. It's been really busy at work with all the holiday travelers despite exhausted health care professionals practically begging people to stay home for the holidays. If you REALLY want to see how much certain people don't care, work at a hotel.

ENOUGH OF THAT! Let's get into some Longbox Junk as I continue to push through the entire 60 issue run of Marc Spector: Moon Knight. Issues 41 - 50 here. . .let's do it!

THE LONG VERSION (S):

I broke the Comic Book Realm Word Count AGAIN, so I had to split this one up into two parts. . .

Part 1 (#41 -45) https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1831/longbox-junk-marc-spector-moon-knight-part-5a-issues-41-45

Part 2 (#46 - 50) https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1832/longbox-junk-marc-spector-moon-knight-part-5b-issues-46-50

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, the ten issues in this batch were, on average, a pretty decent bunch. There really isn't a BAD issue here, but on the other hand, there isn't a really GOOD issue either. There's some pretty bad IDEAS to be found, but on the whole Terry Kavanagh is riding right down the center line of quality, with occasional small swerves toward the good or bad side of the road.

Up Next. . .

This is it, folks! The FINAL ten issues of Marc Spector: Moon Knight!

Come with me and observe the STEEP downward slide of this series as Terry Kavanagh tries hard to push his new hero "Bloodline" into the permanent Moon Knight narrative, Marvel brings in a big gun artist to try and save things, and then they just throw their hands in the air in defeat and end the series!

Be there or be square!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: December 29, 2020 10:48:44 am
  • I find it wildly odd that Marc Spector: Moon Knight was the longest running Moon Knight title of the eight or nine volumes Marvel published.

It really was not very good once Chuck Dixon left after issue #24. It still lasted 60 issues? I guess '90s Marvel books were not as good as I remembered.
  • Posted: December 29, 2020 11:41:01 pm
  • brucifer said:
    I find it wildly odd that Marc Spector: Moon Knight was the longest running Moon Knight title of the eight or nine volumes Marvel published.

It really was not very good once Chuck Dixon left after issue #24. It still lasted 60 issues? I guess '90s Marvel books were not as good as I remembered.

I'm finding it a bit strange as well. It really seems to have been dragged out longer than it should have. The last batch of 10 issues are a $h!tshow supreme.

Last edited December 29, 2020 11:41:36 pm
  • Posted: January 25, 2021 1:03:05 am
  • My apologies to the fine folk of Comic Book Realm. I've actually had this review posted up on my own blog for almost a week! I just NOW noticed I forgot to post it up here. . .

It's the FINAL handful of Marc Spector: Moon Knight! See what happens when a series that's been on the edge since issue #1 flies completely off the rails!

THE LONG VERSION (S):

I HAD TO SPLIT THIS ONE UP INTO TWO PARTS BECAUSE I BROKE COMIC BOOK REALM'S WORD COUNT AGAIN. I REALLY NEED TO WORK ON MY EDITING!

PART 6A (Issues 51 - 55)
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1836/longbox-junk-marc-spector-moon-knight-part-6a-issues-51-55

PART 6B (Issues 56 - 60)
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1837/longbox-junk-marc-spector-moon-knight-part-6b-issues-56-60

THE SHORT VERSION:

In short: A hot mess.

The failure of this last handful of ten issues pretty much boils down to a self-indulgent writer with an agenda of his own. Instead of trying to give fans what they wanted, Terry Kavanagh was obviously more concerned with what HE wanted for Moon Knight. Add in a self-indulgent artist and the final five issues went from being a mess to being an egotistical disaster.

Frankly, I see it as a bit of miracle that Marvel didn't pull the trigger on a replacement Moon Knight or giving up and killing the character off earlier than they did. Kavanagh must have been working some favors in the Marvel offices to keep this series staggering along past issue #47.

Up Next. . .

I tried and failed to make this review not so much of a scroll bomb, so I'm going to have to go over my final thoughts on all sixty issues of Marc Spector: Moon Knight taken as a whole in a separate post before I move along to something else.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: January 27, 2021 3:08:14 am
  • Okay, I'm FINALLY done with Marc Spector: Moon Knight.
    Here's my last thoughts on the series. . .

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1838/longbox-junk-marc-spector-moon-knight-the-last-word

(Not from this series, but I love Moon Knight getting the last word here)

THE SHORT VERSION:

Taken as a whole, this Moon Knight series is extremely inconsistent and characterized by constant attempts to permanently change the character. None of the individual issues or storylines ever manage to raise above the level of "Pretty Good", and the final five issues are some of the absolute worst comics I've forced myself to read front to back in quite a while.

I can recommend the first 24 issues (those written by Chuck Dixon) as simple superhero fun, but I wouldn't suggest punishing yourself with anything past that.

Up Next. . .

MORE Moon Knight!

Just kidding. I'm ready to move along. Maybe some one shots?

Sure, why not. Tasty little bites of comic book fun that challenge creative teams to give readers a full story in one and only one issue. . .I love one shots! Let's do some one shots!

Be there or be square.
357 posts • Page 1 of 36
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 59 years, 37 days, 4 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Taxi Comics's Exit Issue # 8
  • Marvel Comics's Shang-Chi Issue # 5c
  • Dell Publishing Co.'s Tarzan Issue # 89b
  • Pocket Change Comics's Warzone 3719 Issue # 2