feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 5, 2020 2:23:26 am
  • The Longbox Junk Halloween Retro Review party is just getting started! Dancing
    Let's head back to the Bronze Age for a look at 1971's The Witching Hour #13!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1813/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-the-witching-hour-13-1971

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, not a bad little piece of supernatural fun! Although the final tale is underwhelming and the text space filler story is sort of take it or leave it, the first two offerings here are pretty good stories backed up with some great artwork.

I can certainly recommend this one for anybody wanting some nicely-done Twilight Zone style stories resting under a fantastic Neal Adams cover. It's a nice little nugget of Longbox Junk gold to keep your eye out for.

Up Next. . .

My comic lovin' daughter HATES crazy Halloween clowns. . .so how about a comic with one of my favorite crazy Halloween clown covers? It's a Longbox Junk entry that SHE'S probably not going to want to read, but I invite the rest of you to join me for a look at 1980's House of Mystery #285!

Be there or be square!

Last edited October 5, 2020 2:23:49 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 6, 2020 2:40:50 am
  • It's MORE Longbox Junk Halloween fun for the fine folk of Comic Book Realm! Dancing

Jump into the paper time machine for a short hop back to the end of the Bronze Age for a look under one of my all-time favorite Halloween comic covers. 1980's House of Mystery #285!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1814/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-house-of-mystery-285-1980

Awwwww. . .YEAH! Very Happy

THE SHORT VERSION:

Not bad! Despite the last story being a bit of a clunker, there's some pretty good meat on this comic bone. Almost all the stories follow extremely well worn paths, but overall I really enjoyed reading this comic. It's not the best comic I've ever read, but it's surprisingly entertaining at the end of the day.

I'm pretty sure this comic isn't on any sort of collector's radar, and I'm also pretty certain that this is the only review that anybody has ever bothered to write about it, and probably will remain the only one in existence. Even so, if you're looking for a decent little set of Twilight Zone "twist" style stories under a fantastic Joe Kubert cover, keep your eye out for this one in the bargain bin.

Up Next. . .

What's a Halloween party without Count Dracula?
    In MY humble opinion, It ain't a party at all!

Jump into the Longbox Junk paper time machine with me as I head back to the Silver Age for a look at Dell's 1962 Dracula one-shot. We MIGHT even answer the question of whatever happened to the Transylvanian Twist!

Be there or be square!

Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 7, 2020 2:54:55 am
  • The Longbox Junk Halloween Party is going strong, and I just invited DRACULA into the house! Applause Dell's 1962 Dracula #1!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1815/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-dracula-1-1962

THE SHORT VERSION:

I found this comic to be well written and entertaining. It's too bad this storyline was abandoned by Dell as they tried to move their line more toward superheroes, including their ill-advised attempts to turn Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man into costumed heroes.

I'd certainly recommend this one to anybody wanting a decent Silver Age vampire story under a fantastic painted cover. It might be a bit pricy to find a copy in decent condition, and it doesn't look like it's been collected or reprinted, but keep your eye out!

Up Next. . .

The Longbox Junk Halloween party keeps going!

The paper time machine is heading back to the Golden Age again for a look at 1953's Beware #13.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: October 12, 2020 2:01:09 am
  • I'm back from a four day vacation and ready to keep bringin' more Longbox Junk Halloween Retro Reviews to the fine and friendly folk of Comic Book Realm! Very Happy

This time out, we're heading back to the Golden Age for a look at 1953's Beware #13. Ready? Let's do it!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1816/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-beware-13-1953

THE SHORT VERSION:

Unfortunately, this comic didn't really live up to the promise of that great cover. It's basically a collection of stories that are actually pretty decent, but are brought down by some pretty basic and workmanlike art (as well as some sloppy coloring and bad typeset lettering).

Because it's so utterly average, I'm a bit hesitant recommending this comic to anyone except specific fans of 1950's horror/ suspense comics.

Up Next. . .

You guessed it. . .another Longbox Junk Halloween Retro Review!

Let's jump the paper time machine forward to the Bronze Age for some Marvel Style monster fun with 1974's Monsters Unleashed #10! It's gonna be Monster-ific!

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: October 13, 2020 5:40:54 am
  • Let's keep the Longbox Junk Halloween Retro Review party going with a trip back to 1974 for a look at Marvel's Monsters Unleashed #10! Dancing

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1817/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-monsters-unleashed-10-1974

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, Monsters Unleashed #10 is a very nice nugget of Longbox Junk gold. I can easily recommend this one to anyone looking for some supernatural flavor provided by some great Bronze Age comic talent. It's not a particularly "valuable" comic to collectors, so copies can probably be found for decent prices (I think I paid ten bucks for mine, if I remember) if you keep your eye out for it.

Up Next. . .

The Longbox Junk Halloween Retro Review party keeps going!

Let's stay in the Bronze Age and head over to DC for a look at 1974's House of Secrets #123.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: October 14, 2020 2:18:54 am
  • That's right, Comic Book Realm! MORE Longbox Junk Halloween Retro Review fun! Dancing Let's head back to 1974 for a look at DC's House of Secrets #123!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1818/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-house-of-secrets-123-1974

Now THAT'S a great Halloween cover! Applause

THE SHORT VERSION:
    What we have here are two stories that I would describe as "Pretty Good". One that gives the "unlikely friends take on the world" a supernatural twist that makes it read like a Disney Halloween special. And a second story that mashes the "fish out of water" and "greedy person gets what is coming to them" tropes together for a comic book repaint of "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court".

Both of them are well-written and engaging. With the exception of Alex Toth's typically amazing artwork in the second story, neither of them are great or particularly memorable. They're just "Pretty Good" and not much more than that.

Up Next. . .

It's back to the Golden Age for another Longbox Junk Halloween Retro Review!

Join me as I take a look at Witchcraft #2 from 1952. . .because what's Halloween without some witchcraft? I say it's not Halloween at all!

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: October 14, 2020 11:15:06 am
  • Atom, you're Halloween reviews this year have been top-notch!! Thanks for your effort to try and bring some classics this year.
  • Posted: October 19, 2020 2:36:36 am
  • brucifer said:
    Atom, you're Halloween reviews this year have been top-notch!! Thanks for your effort to try and bring some classics this year.

I appreciate that! It's been fun going through some of the old "horror" comics in my collection. . .
  • Posted: October 19, 2020 2:41:14 am
  • Just back from another long weekend (it's great to be able to take a little time off) and ready to keep the Longbox Junk Halloween Retro Review party going with another trip back to the Golden Age!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1819/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-witchcraft-2-1952

THE SHORT VERSION:

Not bad. Not bad at all! Not great, mind you, but still a very readable comic even after 68 years! The stories all have minor problems, but nothing big enough to call any of them bad. The art is mostly the best part of the stories (with the exception of the final story, and even there it's not too bad), with a great, darkly-inked Golden Age style that does most of the heavy lifting in this issue, bringing "okay" stories up a notch.

If I have one gripe with this comic is that there's no Witchcraft in it! The series is called "Witchcraft", where's the witches and their craft? Instead of Witchcraft, we get a handful of decent "Supernatural Suspense" stories with nary a witch to be found!

Lack of witchery aside, I liked this comic. I'd definitely recommend it for anyone interested in some very nice Golden Age artwork backing up some pretty good suspense stories under a great eye-catcher of a cover.

Up Next. . .

The Longbox Junk Halloween party ain't over yet! Not even close.

How about heading back to 1977 for a look at Marvel's take on a classic tale of terror? I'm talking about Edgar Allan Poe's The Pit and The Pendulum (and two other stories)!

Be there or be square!

• Posted: October 20, 2020 2:51:28 am
  • October ain't done yet, so neither is the Longbox Junk Halloween party! Dancing

Let's take a look at Marvel's 1977 adaptation of three of Edgar Allan Poe's creepiest stories, one of them featuring artist Michael Golden's FIRST published comic work!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1820/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-marvel-classics-comics-28-1977

THE SHORT VERSION:

This comic adaptation of three stories that I have read and enjoyed MANY times are of such quality in both writing and art that they once again gripped my imagination and seemed almost new!

Bottom line. . .if you are a fan of Edgar Allan Poe or horror comics (or both), then you should have this comic in your collection. Despite being Michael Golden's first published comic work, it's not anywhere close to being "valuable" to collectors, so copies can be found cheap. . .I paid one lousy buck for mine. Plus I see it's on ComiXology, so there's that as well.

If you're looking for some creepy Halloween comic reading, you can't do much better than this.

Up Next. . .

It's time to invite a Werewolf to this Halloween Party!
    Marvel's Werewolf By Night #11 from 1973.

Be there or be square!

480 posts • Page 1 of 48
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Al Barrett's Atomman Special # 6
  • Marvel Comics's Black Widow and Hawkeye Issue # 2b
  • Faro's Lounge's Faro's Lounge: American Safari Sketchbook Issue nn - alaska
  • Marvel Comics's The Uncanny X-Men Issue # 490b