feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 29, 2020 12:42:30 am
  • It's the last flag wavin' July Captain America post. Sad

Until next year! Dancing

Captain America vs. Ratzi Flying Saucers! Check it out!

CAPTAIN AMERICA - THEATER OF WAR: OPERATION ZERO POINT
    (Marvel - 2008 )

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1803/longbox-junk-captain-america-theater-of-war-operation-zero-point

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, this is a great little Captain America story! The creative team delivers a nugget of Longbox Junk gold with a modern throwback Ratzi-Punchin' adventure featuring a gritty, cocky Captain America and some very nice artwork that makes every page of this one shot a feast for the eyes. This one issue gives me almost everything I could ever want in a short Captain America story!

Up Next. . .

Well, that's it for July. Time to stop wavin' the flag (for now).

So what's next? Hmmmmmm. . . .

You know what? It's been a while since I did some "Retro Reviews".
    I think I'll dust off the Longbox Junk time machine and check out some of the older comics in my collection. Yeah. . .Retro Reviews! Let's do it!

Be there or be square.

Last edited July 29, 2020 12:43:04 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: August 3, 2020 1:15:07 am
  • It's time for some Longbox Junk retro reviews! Dancing

Let's start off by heading back to 1955 for a little Turok, Son of Stone.
    Dell Four Color #656. It's Golden Age Dinosaur Huntin' fun!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1804/longbox-junk-retro-review-four-color-656-turok-son-of-stone

THE SHORT VERSION:

To the modern reader, this is a pretty disappointing comic. The writing is bland and unexciting. The art is decent, but very workmanlike. The cover is honestly the best thing about this comic.

But looking at it as best I can from the point of view of who it was written for, it's better. It's a story about dinosaurs and Indians. Does a kid really need anything more than that?

Both of those viewpoints together say that this is a pretty good comic that could have been better, but really didn't need to be.

Up Next. . .

Another Longbox Junk retro review!

I just got this comic last week for my birthday, so why not give it a read?

Longbox Junk time machine set back to 1967. . .
    It's Stan Lee and Jack Kirby with "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine!"
    Fantastic Four #58 . . .The Dismal Dregs of Defeat!

Be there or be square!

Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: August 10, 2020 1:38:34 am
  • It's another Longbox Junk Retro Review! Dancing

Let's head back to 1967 for some classic Fantastic Four!
    Fantastic Four #58. Stan Lee! Jack Kirby! Doctor Doom on a surfboard!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1805/longbox-junk-retro-review-fantastic-four-58

THE SHORT VERSION:

What we have here is a perfect storm of writing and art delivering an unusual story that makes the reader want more. Stan Lee throws down some trademark Mighty Marvel bombast that makes even a tale of superheroes taking a beating great. Jack Kirby ups the ante with artwork that practically jumps off the page. In this issue alone it's easy to see why the Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby combination has gone down in comic history as one of the greatest creative teams.

Up Next. . .

Another Longbox Junk Retro Review!
    But which one is the question. . .

Phantom Stranger? Black Lightning? Savage She-Hulk? The Shadow? Iron Man? SO MANY MORE! I might just have to roll a die or something. In any case. . .

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: August 23, 2020 1:54:21 am
  • Jump in the Longbox Junk Paper Time Machineā„¢ with me and head back to 1969 for some Silver Age superheroics with a mystic twist! It's another Longbox Junk Retro Review! Dancing

THE SPECTRE #8

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1806/longbox-junk-retro-review-the-spectre-8

THE SHORT VERSION:

The story is pretty weak, with a forgettable villain and two magical beings punching each other in outer space. It's a good example of the kind of stories churned out as comic rack fillers during the Silver Age without much thought put into them.

On the other hand, the unusual art style holds up to the modern eye very well, and takes this comic above and beyond what would otherwise be pretty forgettable based on the story alone.

I didn't go into this comic a big fan of The Spectre, and it didn't really change my mind on the other side. That said, if you're a fan of mystic superheroes and want to get a good eyeful of some really unusual art for a Silver Age DC comic underneath a fantastic cover, then keep your eye out for this one.

Up Next. . .

I'm still liking the Retro Reviews, so why not another one?
    Maybe something from Atlas/ Seaboard? Yes. . .I think so!

Be there or be square.
  • Posted: August 23, 2020 11:04:56 am
  • I've also read some older Spectre and the stories were always lacking something. Spectre finally became good once Michael Fleisher and Jim Aparo took over with their Adventure Comics 10-issue run in the mid '70s.

That cover, on the other hand, is super awesome!!!!
  • Posted: September 3, 2020 12:57:21 am
  • It's another Longbox Junk Retro Review for the fine folks of Comic Book Realm! Dancing

Step into the paper time machine as I set the dial for 1975 for a look at an interesting little Bronze Age relic from Atlas/ Seaboard. . .TARGITT!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1807/longbox-junk-retro-review-targitt-1-1975

THE SHORT VERSION:

The story had all the right violent, pulpy, neo-noir influences to have been something pretty interesting, but I guess watering them down for a code-approved comic just didn't work out. I like that Atlas/ Seaboard was trying to step outside the superhero genre with Targitt, so credit where credit is due for trying to do something a little different, but at the end of the day this is a pretty forgettable comic.

Up Next. . .

I don't think I'm quite done with the Retro Reviews just yet!

So many comics to choose from. I'll have to ponder what's next.
    Suggestions are welcome!

Be there or be square.
  • Posted: September 15, 2020 11:44:47 pm
  • It's time for another Longbox Junk Retro Review for the fine folks of Comic Book Realm! Dancing

This time out, we're heading all the way back to 1951 and the golden age of westerns to check out a comic featuring one of my all-time favorite heroes, the mysterious masked man of the west. . .THE LONE RANGER!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1808/longbox-junk-retro-review-the-lone-ranger-35-1951

THE SHORT VERSION:

It's pretty good. It's not the greatest comic I've ever read, but for something written for young boys in 1951, it holds up pretty well to a modern reading. The first story gives us the Lone Ranger and Tonto out of their usual backdrop of dusty western towns and fighting pirates on the high seas. The second story is extremely simple in nature, but has a somewhat strange layer of darkness underneath it when viewed through a modern lens. The third story is lacking in excitement, but is still pretty interesting. And the text backup is an unexpected little gem of pulp western writing.

If you're a fan of The Lone Ranger or early western comics in general, you'll definitely get more mileage out of this than other readers. You won't find it in the bargain bin, and it doesn't look like it's ever been reprinted or collected, but if you should spot this at a reasonable price, I say go for it! It will make a very nice addition to any collection including western comics.

Up Next. . .

I think I have time for another couple of Retro Reviews before I turn my attention to some Halloween fun in October! I picked up a copy of She-Hulk #1 last year that I haven't read yet. I think it's time to fix that.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: September 22, 2020 11:29:44 pm
  • And one last Longbox Junk Retro Review as we head into Halloween Fun time! Dancing

It's the strange origin of SHE-HULK!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1809/longbox-junk-retro-review-savage-she-hulk-1-1980

THE SHORT VERSION:

What we have here is a comic book that was written for a specific purpose. . .introduce a female version of the Hulk in order to protect Marvel's rights to the character. . .that was done in a very short period of time.

Stan Lee does a great job of introducing She-Hulk with a quick reading and well-written origin story, but he falls flat in making her interesting enough to make me want to read more. John Buscema's art disappoints, looking rushed and pretty rough in spots. I'm pretty sure a bit more time would have smoothed that out, though.

Good taken with bad, this is a pretty good comic book. It could have been better with a little more time to cook, but it's not bad at all for what it is.

Up Next. . .

It's time for some October Longbox Junk Halloween Fun!

Be there or be square!
328 posts • Page 1 of 33
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Valiant Entertainment's Book of Death Issue # 1nerd store
  • Valiant Entertainment's Harbinger Wars / Shadowman Issue # 1
  • Dark Horse Comics's Hidden Society Issue # 3b
  • DC Comics's Shazam! Issue # 15
CBR.com member auction items ?