feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 16, 2020 5:52:36 am
  • It's time for some Reader Request Longbox Junk!
    Merry (very) Late Christmas, Tenzil. . .here's some Harbinger!

HARBINGER (Valiant 1992) part 1: Issues 0 - 3

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1780/longbox-junk-reader-request-edition-harbinger-part-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

I've never really given any Valiant superhero comics a fair chance until now. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to find Harbinger to be a pretty good read.

It flips the standard script of teen superhero team comics just enough to keep things interesting by having an underlying theme of sexual attraction and/or jealousy being behind everything the characters say or do. It's the sort of thing that can go off the cliff into superhero soap opera territory quickly, but for now it's still pretty steady.

It's good, but not perfect. There's a major mistake in the beginning of the story by the story not really HAVING a beginning! The first issue starts in the middle and hits the ground running, and never looks back.

The ACTUAL beginning is in a pretty rare #0 issue that readers had to send away for after getting coupons from issues 1- 6. And even then, the #0 issue directly contradicts things in the series itself (I had to cheat and read #0 online to understand what was happening).

Worse, there's a steep decline in story and art quality starting with issue #3 that hopefully was just a rush job (as I suspect) to keep the comic on schedule and not a sign of things to come.

Overall, despite some pretty big flaws, I like Harbinger so far.

Up Next. . .

MORE Harbinger!
    I wrap things up for this Reader Request Edition with issues #4 - #7

Be there or be square!

Last edited January 16, 2020 5:56:55 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: January 23, 2020 2:47:43 am
  • And now part 2 of Tenzil's Longbox Junk Reader Request!

HARBINGER (Valiant 1992) Part 2: Issues 4 - 7

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1781/longbox-junk-reader-request-edition-harbinger-part-2

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, I have to say that Harbinger is a pretty good series. It's not great. I've definitely read better. But it's not nearly as bad as I assumed it would be. It's not really Longbox Junk as I define it, due to the surprisingly high collector "value" of the first few issues, but I'd certainly recommend picking up the collected edition, if you should spot it for a good price.

THAT SAID. . .

This review only covers the first 8 issues of this series. I've read ahead a bit and can pretty confidently say that this is where Valiant should have ended the story. The next two issues are unreadable crossover %#@$ and going past that, the series never really recovers its footing. So fair warning. This is as good as Harbinger gets. It's all downhill from here.

Up Next. . .

So much Longbox Junk! I don't even know what's next!

I'm thinking of maybe heading back into some Marvel or DC stuff.
    I've been in the off-brand section of my collection for a while now. . .

In any case, be there or be square!

Last edited January 23, 2020 2:51:33 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: February 11, 2020 3:31:59 am
  • Sorry for a bit of delay on this one. I actually had it written and ready to go last week, but I accidentally deleted the draft and had to re-write the whole thing!

ANYWAY. . .

BLACK CANARY (1993) Issues 1 - 6

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1783/longbox-junk-black-canary

THE SHORT VERSION:

These first six issues of Black Canary are average at best. I can see what they were WANTING to do. . .turn a popular supporting character into a solo title. Unfortunately, the execution is pretty weak. It's not that Black Canary is bad. . .it's just that it seems that not much effort was put into it. This COULD have been a lot better.

Up Next. . .

The back half of Black Canary. Issues 6 - 12.

Will things improve? I sure hope so. Let's find out!

Be there or be square.
  • Posted: March 11, 2020 2:54:58 am
  • And now. . .Black Canary's gritty 90's makeover!

BLACK CANARY (1993) PART 2
    ISSUES 7- 12

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1786/longbox-junk-black-canary-part-2

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, I consider this Black Canary series as a prime example of how NOT to try and make a supporting character into a solo character. It features weak writing, barely-passable art, and brushes off new readers by assuming that anyone buying a Black Canary comic already knows everything about Black Canary.

This is one of the worst introductions to a character for new readers I've seen in a long time, and it's no wonder that it floundered and failed after just twelve issues. Even if you happen to be a Black Canary fan already there's not much here to grab onto beyond a few moments that barely manage to elevate to the level of "Pretty Good".

I can't really recommend this series to anyone besides Black Canary completionists or those who might be interested in the strange little backstory to Canary's gritty 90's transformation that was promptly forgotten about. For anyone else, I'd say leave it in the bargain bin.

Up Next. . .

I'm not really sure. Hopefully it will be better than this was.

ANYWAY. . .

No matter what I decide to do next, be there or be square!

Last edited March 11, 2020 2:55:35 am
  • Posted: April 5, 2020 3:33:27 am
  • It's the high-flyin' Hollywood hero! It's Central City's two-fisted mystery man!
    It's The Rocketeer and The Spirit! How can this NOT be good? Dancing

THE ROCKETEER/ THE SPIRIT: PULP FRICTION
    IDW/DC (2013)

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1787/longbox-junk-the-rocketeer-the-spirit-pulp-friction

THE SHORT VERSION:

It has a pretty good story bringing together two great pulp heroes for the first and probably only time. It showcases some great art. Most of all. . .it's FUN! Mark Waid successfully brings the nonsense of the Golden Age into the Modern Age and it's just a plain old good time!

If you are a fan of pulp adventures or are just looking for some fun comics, then I heartily recommend this series. I bought this one off the rack when it was coming out, but I've seen the issues in back issue bins and it's been collected in both hard and soft cover. It's also available on Comixology for you high-tech folks out there.

Up Next. . .

I'm not really sure.

I've been digging through my daughter's comics for some Marvel-Style fun.
    Right now, I'm reading a pretty good Spider-Man/ Human Torch five-issue mini that might be just what Longbox Junk needs to stay on the light side of comics next time out. Until then. . .

Be there or be square!
305 posts • Page 1 of 31
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 56 years, 146 days, 9 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Rebellion's 2000 A.D. Issue # 2164
  • Ablaze Media's Cimmerian Queen of the Black Coast Issue # 2d
  • Ultimate Sports Entertainment's Full Throttle featuring Dallas Mavericks Issue # 1
  • Antarctic Press's Punchline Issue # 10