feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 19, 2019 7:38:34 pm
  • Interesting group of one shots. Sadly, I must admit, I have not seen any of those titles before now. Thank you for the exposure!
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: December 20, 2019 12:34:38 pm
  • I've also never seen any of those five comic books or their covers. It's just proof that a sexy cover sells, no matter what dribble is in the book itself.
  • Posted: December 24, 2019 11:58:11 pm
  • 'Tis the season for comic review sites to be getting into some Christmas cheer!

Unfortunately, last year I discovered I have a severe lack of Holiday-Themed comics for some strange and unknown reason I can't figure out. And when I say a severe lack, what I mean is that out of THOUSANDS of comics between me and my daughter, we have a grand total of FOUR Christmas comics. . .of which I've already reviewed two.

SO. . .

Instead of doing reviews of Christmas comics I don't have, I'll take this opportunity to thank the readers of Longbox Junk. I appreciate each and every one of you who choose to come into this merry mess of reviews that nobody ever asked for on a regular basis. And for those of you who have somehow accidentally found your way into this little corner of the internet, thank you for coming as well!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and many more to come!

Last edited December 24, 2019 11:58:40 pm
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: December 25, 2019 3:42:13 am
  • Merry Christmas to you too, atom, your column is a must-visit every time I see there is a new post. My New Year's Hope is that you will return to the list of fan-generated series for you to review. I think you did about four and then saw something shiny, and, well, you know how it goes! I'll admit that selfishly, I eagerly anticipate the day you get to my request, but whatever you choose to review know for certain you have a fan over here! Cheers,
    Tenzil
  • Posted: December 25, 2019 4:08:57 am
  • Thanks for your kind words!
    Hmmmmmm. . .return to the Reader Requests? I think you might be wishing on the right star! Checking the request thread, I see that your suggestion for some Harbinger was in the hat and that WOULD fit in with the Non-DC/Marvel kick I've been on lately. . .

I'm just about done with the next Off-Brand One Shot entry (should be up in a few days. Delayed a bit by brisk Christmas travel business at work). I think after that, I might just pull out those Harbinger comics and give them a look. . .
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: December 25, 2019 9:30:03 am
  • I'm agree with Tenzil that Lonbox Junk! is a must-read with every new post. Good reviews that are well-written (both long and short), fun, insightful, and most importantly, right-on-the-money. We are all better off for it.
    If I could ship comic books super-cheaply to Utah, I would gladly do that, so atom could review a tonne of my books that fit this category (and there are lots in my collection, trust me).
  • Posted: December 26, 2019 5:50:05 am
  • Atom, thank you for all that you do! Longbox Junk is legendary in my opinion, and always a must read. When I see a new one, I always wait until I have so free time to read it so that I don't have to rush through. You do this for the love of the hobby, and I think everyone appreciates all your efforts and your expertise. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: January 1, 2020 12:06:47 am

• It's been a bit busy at work because of some unusually brisk holiday business, but that's coming to an end and there will be plenty of Longbox Junkin' to be had during the slow winter months ahead.

I'm not QUITE done with the next Off-Brand One Shots entry (maybe another day or two and it will be up), so I'm going to take this opportunity to welcome the readers of Longbox Junk into 2020!

I truly do appreciate the readers of this blog. There are a LOT of comic review blogs and sites out there. The fact that you choose to spend a bit of your precious time here reading my nonsense is just an amazing thing to me, so once again my heartfelt thanks!

Here's my New Year wish. . .

DISCLAIMER: This is aimed mostly at U.S. readers. The sentiment is still the same for any International readers, just mentally adjust the words to match your country's own specific craziness.

Look. . .this country is divided. There's political division even within my own family. I'm sure many of you are feeling the same sense of frustration and division I often do, no matter WHAT side of the political line you may find yourself on (and I'm not taking sides here or getting specific, so you can keep on reading).

The bad part about it is that as the year goes on, it's just gonna get worse. You know it and I know it. As we move toward next November, things are going to get extremely tense. There's no way any of it is going to end to everyone's satisfaction. There's going to be a lot of anger and frustration no matter what happens.

It is my sincere wish for everyone reading this that you please don't let politics take over your life. That you can step back and just relax a bit from time to time. Don't let what's happening in Washington affect you or your family in a bad way. Try to find ways to agree to disagree.

Here's a humble suggestion:

Any time the political mess starts getting to you, jump in your car and head to a comic shop. Walk right on past all the shiny new comics on the shelf and get yourself over to some back issue boxes. . .the cheaper the better. . .stuff in old yellow bags down there on the bottom shelf that hardly anybody ever looks through is the best. The bottom shelf is ALWAYS the best. Get on down there. Sit on the floor. Start digging.

I GUARANTEE that for at least a little while your mind will be eased as you dig through that pile of Longbox Junk. You won't have a single thought of politics while you look for the ONE nugget of gold you KNOW is buried in that box. And when you find it. . .Awwwww, YEAH!

And then start digging for the next one. . .

May you find happiness and prosperity in 2020!

Last edited January 1, 2020 12:09:45 am
  • Posted: January 2, 2020 3:42:53 am
  • Now the holidays are over, let's get back to Longbox Junk business as usual with the last (for now) batch of Off-Brand One Shots!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1779/longbox-junk-off-brand-one-shots-part-5

THE SHORT VERSION (S):

DIESEL #1 (Antarctic Press 1997)

An unfinished project with a fragmented story that starts in the middle and ends on a cliffhanger.

FINAL VERDICT: 2 out of 5 obvious Hirohiko Araki "inspirations"

ROBOCOP: KILLING MACHINE (Avatar Press 2004)

Pretty disappointing. Very short. Weak story. So-So art.
    Literally HALF of this comic is advertising for various Avatar Comics variant covers!

FINAL VERDICT: 2 out of 5 Convention Special Gold Foil Wraparound Limited Variant Covers.

YOUNGBLOOD SUPER SPECIAL (Maximum Press 1997)

Not too bad. Probably the best of this bunch even if the characters are 90's-tastic Dollar Store X-Men and the story a predictable one that's been told many times.

FINAL VERDICT: 3 out of 5 giant shoulder pads.

AIRMAN (Malibu 1993)

Less of a stand alone story and more like a background event in an ongoing series. Still not too bad of a read with some decent imitation Barry Windsor-Smith artwork.

FINAL VERDICT: 3 out of 5 editorial box notes referencing previous issues of another series.

DEATHANGEL (Lightning Comics 1997)

A crappy female ripoff Spawn/Witchblade combo with art that made me take a Tylenol and relax for a while after I was done reading it. This comic made me feel like I was being punished for something.

FINAL VERDICT: 1 out of 5 throbbing forehead veins.

Up Next. . .

Let's get back into some Longbox Junk Reader Requests!

Normally, I'd pick one from the pickin' hat (a set of monogrammed Mickey ears from Disney World), but Tenzil here at Comic Book Realm put forth a Christmas wish that I somehow might find it in my heart to review his fine selection at some point. And who am I to deny someones Christmas Wish?

SO. . .

Merry Late Christmas, Tenzil!

Next up is the Longbox Junk take on issues #1 -#6 of Valiant's "Harbinger" series.
    They're in my daughter's collection and I've never read them. Please, . . .let them be good.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: January 2, 2020 4:09:31 am
  • I just heard a bell ring, which must mean Atom's finally earned his wings. Either that or his heart just grew three sizes before our very eyes! I hope you enjoy the read, Atom, as much as I am looking forward to your review! Best Christmas present I got this year for sure!!
    Tenzil
303 posts • Page 1 of 31
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 55 years, 241 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Quirk Books's 100 Ghosts: Gallery of Harmless Haunts Hard Cover # 1
  • DC Comics's Amethyst Issue # 1b
  • Marvel Comics's Red Skull Issue # 2b
  • Dark Horse Comics's Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy: From the World of Black Hammer Issue # 3b