feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 24, 2017 2:55:52 am
  • Just finished DC's World's Finest (Vol. 4) 4 issue mini tonight. . . .

Overall, it's pretty weak. Forced team ups relying on dusty comic tropes, extremely average art (Except for the last issue), B-list villains, a weak overarching plot, reliance on reader knowledge of 2009 DC continuity, and a giant kryptonite-powered Superman/Batman robot.

But if you've ever wanted to see Damian Wayne Robin body shaming Stephanie Brown Batgirl, then there IS that. . .
    I can't really suggest this one to anyone besides those interested in Pre-New 52 characters and continuity.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1380/longbox-junk-worlds-finest-vol-4

Up next. . .
    Lobo's back! Everyone is excited (I think)!
    I'm going back to the beginning with DC's original 4 issue Lobo mini.

Last edited January 24, 2017 2:56:32 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: January 25, 2017 3:33:07 am
  • Just got done with DC's 4 issue Lobo mini tonight. . .

The humor and violence seemed a bit forced and tired. Reading it 27 years later, it's hard for me to remember a time when this was considered outrageous or controversial. That doesn't make it bad, there's some great moments and a few chuckles to be found, but I guess to get the full Lobo effect, you kinda had to be there the first time around.

The Bisley art was great, but there were some real problems with the inks and colors in the first two issues. Sloppy and heavy handed on the cheap old paper didn't do the art any favors. Thankfully they corrected things on the last two issues.

All things considered, I'd suggest this mini, even though what was once over the top now just seems mildly humorous.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1381/longbox-junk-lobo-vol-1

Up next. . .

Back from the 90's forward to 2016 and then back to the 70's!
    Dynamite's 5 issue The Six Million Dollar Man: Fall of Man
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: January 26, 2017 3:25:55 am
  • Just finished up with Dynamite's 5 issue The Six Million Dollar Man: Fall of Man mini. . .

Overall I liked this series, despite clunky art and some eye-rolling story beats. But then again, I am a child of the 70's and The Bionic Man is a uniquely 70's superhero. I'll suggest giving this one a read, but I have the feeling that anybody who wasn't around in the 70's will see anything of interest. In today's world, Steve Austin is just another high tech hero in a crowd of high tech heroes. And to tell the truth, this mini isn't really impressive enough to make The Bionic Man stand out in any way to anyone not already familiar with him.

There are some really good story ideas in here that were sort of wasted on lots of robot punching.
    A damn shame. The Six Million Dollar Man deserves better.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1382/longbox-junk-the-six-million-dollar-man-fall-of-man

Up next. . .

A reluctant substitute Batman. A Robin who hates everybody. A flying Batmobile.
    DC's 26 issue 2009 Batman and Robin run.

Last edited January 26, 2017 3:27:30 am
  • Posted: February 1, 2017 3:27:31 am
  • Just got done with the 26 issues of Batman and Robin (vol. 1) tonight. . .

Overall, I found this to be a series that never really found its groove. 5 writers and 15 artists over the fairly short course of 26 issues tell that particular tale well enough. But it's not just that. What started out fairly strong quickly went off the rails as Grant Morrison turned this book into a vehicle for other projects. After he left, the following creative teams had to try and steer it onto another course, and they did pretty well at it. . .unfortunately, it was too little too late. With the New 52 quickly approaching, they ended it all on a filler issue.

A damn shame. This series COULD have been great.

I'd definitely suggest reading this series, even though parts of it were hard for me personally to get through. There was some great art and I really liked the Dick Grayson/Damian Wayne Batman and Robin team. It's just a shame that Morrison couldn't keep enough of a grip to understand that he was writing about crime-fighting vigilantes and not about the arcane mysteries in his mind.

LINKS:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1383/longbox-junk-batman-and-robin-vol-1-part-1-issues-1-10

http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1384/longbox-junk-batman-and-robin-vol-1-part-2-issues-11-19

http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1385/longbox-junk-batman-and-robin-vol-1-part-3-issues-20-26

Up next. . .

How about I switch things up a bit before I do another full series run? One shots!
    Hellboy, X, Wonder Woman, Wolverine, Red Sonja, Predator, Sgt. Rock, Star Wars and Punisher, oh my!

Last edited February 2, 2017 1:04:46 am
  • Posted: February 3, 2017 1:51:01 am
  • Just finished up with some one shots tonight. Hellboy, Red Sonja, Predator, Punisher, and X. . .

All in all, I'd have to say that the Predator one was my favorite of the batch. It was outstanding in every way and I'd highly suggest it. Lowest on the rung was probably X. I like the idea of a Punisher/Batman combo without all the goofy supervillains, but it really wasn't that great. That said, all of them were pretty good, with no real duds in the bunch.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1387/longbox-junk-one-shots-part-1-hellboy-red-sonja-predator-punisher-and-x

Up next. . .

More one shots! Sgt Rock, Wolverine, Star Wars, Wonder Woman, and Grimm Fairy Tales.

• Posted: February 6, 2017 4:17:21 am
  • Just got done with another batch of one shots tonight. . .Our Army At War (Sgt. Rock), Wolverine, Grimm Fairy Tales, Star Wars, and Wonder Woman.

A bit more of a mixed bunch than the first batch. All in all, I'd say my favorite was Our Army at War, with it's flashback/flashforward storytelling, fantastic art, and gut punch ending. My least favorite was Grimm Fairy Tales: The Little Mermaid with it's weak story and juvenile art (female bodies and boobs are perfect. . .hands and faces are afterthoughts). Wolverine and Star Wars were both pretty good and worth a look. Wonder Woman was kind of "Meh".

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1389/longbox-junk-one-shots-part-2-our-army-at-war-wolverine-wonder-woman-star-wars-and-grimm-fairy-tales

Up next. . .

Dreamwave answers a question you didn't even know you had:
    How would World War II have ended up if giant sentient robots had joined the fight?
    Find out in the Dreamwave Transformers/ G.I. Joe 6 issue mini!

Last edited February 6, 2017 4:18:06 am
  • Posted: February 8, 2017 3:27:28 am
  • Just finished up with Dreamwave's Transformers / G.I. Joe 6 issue crossover mini. . .

Don't let your preconceptions of these properties or memories of the cartoons they are based on fool you.
    Dreamwave truly did something out of the box with these overused characters.

Overall, I found this to be a unique and unexpected take on these two well-known properties, with good writing and fantastic art throughout. There were a few clunky moments in the story, it got a bit crowded with characters toward the end, and sometimes the art was TOO dark, but I have yet to find a perfect comic book, so those small flaws in no way take away from highly suggesting this series to anyone who enjoys military comics, whether or not they are fans of Transformers or G.I. Joe. This is just a great series and truly a hidden gem among Longbox Junk.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1390/longbox-junk-transformers-gi-joe

Up next. . .

It's a mini-series that's really 4 one-shots. Mass Effect: Homeworlds.
  • Posted: February 9, 2017 3:29:57 am
  • Just finished up with Dark Horse's 4 issue Mass Effect: Homeworlds tonight. . .

SHORT VERSION: Just play the games.

All in all, I have to say I was pretty disappointed with it. With the exception of the third issue, these stories were all pretty much chase scenes with a sprinkling of story on top. This COULD really have been much better. I'd still suggest it to fans of Mass Effect for those bits of story, and I highly suggest the third issue, but if you aren't already a fan of Mass Effect, don't even bother. As a whole, this "mini-series" is utterly average.

A damn shame, because I DO love me some Mass Effect.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1391/longbox-junk-mass-effect-homeworlds

Up next. . .
    Who WAS that masked man?
    Dynamite's 26 issue 2006 run of The Lone Ranger.

Last edited February 9, 2017 3:30:51 am
  • Posted: February 17, 2017 3:46:03 am
  • Just got done with Dynamite's 26 issue run of The Lone Ranger (vol 3) tonight. . .

SHORT VERSION: The story is good. The art is bad.

There were SO many epic moments (or what SHOULD have been epic moments) that were completely ruined by the borderline awful art on this title, and that was a damn shame because I could tell that the writer had respect for this great American character. While the story was pretty strong from start to finish, the artwork only rarely elevated itself above average, and usually hovered down in the "pretty bad" range.

It just makes me a little sad to think about how great this run could have been if only it had been illustrated by someone else. All in all, I see this whole series as a sadly missed opportunity.

I'll still suggest it to read because the story IS pretty good, but the artwork really starts to become distracting within just a few issues and doesn't improve as it goes on.

LINKS:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1392/longbox-junk-the-lone-ranger-vol-3-part-1-issues-0-12

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1394/longbox-junk-the-lone-ranger-vol-3-part-2-issues-13-25

Coming next. . .

Sexy. . .Nuns. Two words that one wouldn't normally associate with each other. Except in Japan.

Antarctic Press Warrior Nun Areala!

Last edited February 17, 2017 3:47:18 am
  • Posted: February 20, 2017 3:23:16 am
  • Just finished up with Antarctic Press' 3 issue Warrior Nun Areals (vol. 1) mini tonight. . .

I really have no idea where or when I picked these up, but on investigating them a bit, I was very surpised to learn that they are NOT English reprints of Japanese comics, as the manga-style art would suggest. Instead, they are from a company based in Texas. Go figure.

All in all, I enjoyed this series. The richly-colored manga-style art was great, even though it often seemed to be pretty much an excuse to draw sexy women. The story was a bit light, and was mostly fighting, but it served as a good introduction to the world of religious superheroes that was being created. Overall, with the good taken with bad, I'd suggest this mini to anybody interested in a different take on superheroes as long as they don't mind a LOT of manga-style boobs on the page. . .

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1395/longbox-junk-warrior-nun-areala-vol-1

Up next. . .

Captain America: Theater of War.
    6 one shots I'm told form a loose series about the legacy and heroism of my favorite super-soldier.
    I haven't read these yet, but I can GUARANTEE that MY Cap won't be saying "Hail Hydra" in them.
249 posts • Page 1 of 25
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 51 years, 91 days, 1 hour of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Green Lantern Issue # 6b
  • Marvel Comics's Marvel Comics Presents Issue # 1walmart
  • Diamond Comics Distribution's Previews Issue # 59
  • Rothic Comics's REM 8 Issue # 6-2nd print