feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 29, 2019 3:39:47 am
  • The Longbox Junk Halloween fun isn't over just yet.
    It's time for some zombies!

It's a nice fresh chunk of Longbox Junk still on the shelves right now.
    Join me in taking a look at DCeased #1

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1769/longbox-junk-halloween-dceased-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

What we have here is a well-written story with a DC Universe-specific angle on the extremely well-worn framework of a zombie apocalypse backed up with some good art. It's interesting enough for me to want to get the next issue, but not interesting enough to make me want to order it if my local shop doesn't have the next one sitting there.

If you're a fan of zombie stories, then definitely pick this one up. If you're getting a bit tired of zombies then this isn't really something you'll miss out on if you don't read it. If you don't like zombie stories in the first place, then this won't change your mind one bit.

Up Next. . .

I think there's still time for at least one more piece of Longbox Junk Halloween fun!

Be there or be square.

Last edited October 29, 2019 3:41:06 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 31, 2019 12:47:00 am
  • And now it's time for the final chunk of Halloween Longbox Junk!

BEHOLD! It's a vampire war story without a vampire war. And then. . .aliens! Shocked

Dark Horse's "Nosferatu Wars" one shot.

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1770/longbox-junk-halloween-nosferatu-wars

THE SHORT VERSION:

Up Next. . .

That's it for this year's Longbox Junk Halloween fun! So it's back to business as usual. I'm not sure exactly what will be next. . .so much junk to choose from.

Be there or be square!

Last edited October 31, 2019 12:48:09 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: November 6, 2019 1:00:26 am
  • Congratulations, Spector! Your fine request has been randomly pulled from the hat and is up for the next Longbox Junk Reader Request Edition!

He's like a tragic combination of the Incredible Hulk and Werewolf by Night.
    He's MAN-BAAAAAAAAAAAT! Dancing

Be there or be square.

Last edited November 6, 2019 1:07:31 am
  • Posted: November 6, 2019 10:28:29 pm
  • Sweet score! Looking forward to what you have planned. I saw your comment in the November reading challenge, and too awesome that your daughter has the original series #1. I STILL need to get that one for my pc. I love that cover, the purple sets it off for sure.
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: November 12, 2019 1:01:22 am
  • It's a Reader Request/ Retro Review edition of Longbox Junk!

Step into the paper time machine with me as I throw it back to 1975 and fulfill Spector's request for some Bronze Age Man-Bat!

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1771/longbox-junk-reader-request-retro-review-man-bat-1975

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, this issue is a pretty average effort. The story feels rushed and crammed into too small of a space, but I have to blame the Bronze Age in general for that, and not Gerry Conway. His writing is good here, but not remarkable or memorable in any way. It certainly doesn't feel like the first issue of a series because the story hangs firmly on the hook of previous Man-Bat appearances in other comics.

As far as the art goes, the big draw here is Steve Ditko drawing Batman for the first and only time. For a lot of people, that's enough. For me, it's plainly not his best work. Ditko's take on Batman IS the best part of this comic, but the rest of the art (while good) could have been a lot better.

Good taken with bad, If you're a Batman or Steve Ditko fan I'd recommend picking this one up if you can find it at a decent price. I'm not sure it's worth taking much effort to specifically hunt it down unless you're a Batman, Man-Bat or Ditko completionist. This isn't a bad comic, but it's not a great one either. It's just okay.

Up Next. . .

I just picked up a TON of Longbox Junk from a closing comic shop. . .as in two full Longboxes of it! SO MUCH GREAT JUNK! There's a bunch of NOW, Continuity, Acclaim, Malibu, and early "We wanna be like Marvel!" Image comics in there. If I have a full run of anything, I'll probably drop that next.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: November 25, 2019 2:43:58 am
  • One Shots! I LOVE one shots! Dancing

Here's a few from my recent purchase of a massive pile of random non-DC/Marvel comics.
    It's part 1 of "Off-Brand One Shots"!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1772/longbox-junk-off-brand-one-shots-part-1

THE SHORT VERSION (s):

RED SONJA: A DEATH IN SCARLET (Cross Plains Comics)

Roy Thomas returns to his classic character and tells a pretty good story.
    VERDICT:
    4 out of 5 barely-covered

BOMBAST (Topps Comics)

For the amount of great old-school talent working on this comic, it was pretty disappointing.
    VERDICT:
    2 out of 5 old white guys trying to figure out how young black people talk.

GRIMM FAIRY TALES 2017 ARMED FORCES EDITION (Zenescope )

The "story" is a 3 page ad for a (then) upcoming series. The rest is -tastic military soft pin-ups. Don't read this one at work.
    VERDICT:
    4 out of 5 anonymous HR complaints for the art
    1 out of 5 skipped ads for the "story"

MARRIED. . .WITH CHILDREN: BUCK'S TALE (NOW Comics)

The story of how the Bundy's got their dog told with as little effort and humor as possible.
    VERDICT:
    2 out of 5 hands down the pants.

This first handful of off-brand one shots was pretty disappointing. For me, Red Sonja was the best of the bunch, with the rest showing either a lack of effort or too much effort in the wrong direction. Let's hope for a bit of improvement in the next batch my daughter has picked for me to review.

Up Next. . .

Single issue offerings from Rock-It Comix, Arcade Comics, Antarctic Press, and Acclaim Comics coming in the next Off-Brand One Shots Edition of Longbox Junk.

Be there or be square!

Last edited November 25, 2019 2:51:12 am
  • Posted: December 2, 2019 5:59:16 am
  • It's part 2 of Off-Brand One Shots! Another handful of one shots picked by my daughter from a giant pile of random Non-DC/Marvel comics I bought a few weeks ago. What could go wrong?

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1773/longbox-junk-off-brand-one-shots-part-2

THE SHORT VERSION (s):

NITROGEN (Arcade Comics, 2005)

It's so 90's that the 90's are like "Tone it down, dude"
    Except it's from 2005. An unfinished Rob Liefeld project that isn't half bad.

VERDICT: 3 out of 5 costumes with useless straps and gigantic shoulder pads.

MASTER DARQUE (Valiant, 1998 )

A Valiant Universe version of DC's Books of Magic starring a bargain bin John Constantine backed up by some amazing Leonardo Manco artwork. It's actually pretty good.

VERDICT: 4 out of 5 copyright-dodging differences.

SHOTGUN MARY: SON OF THE BEAST (Antarctic Press, 1997)

A fast-paced, no-nonsense story about a Religious Female version of Marvel's Punisher taking down a demon. Some really nice painted artwork.

VERDICT: 4 out of 5 scorched Rosary Beads.

LITA FORD (Rock-It Comix, 1993)

One hit wonder Lita Ford stars in a -tastic adventure where she gets super powers from a magical guitar and fights censorship! It's bad. Real bad.

And why the %$#@ is there a WIENER DOG on the cover?

VERDICT: 1 out of 5 spiky leather bras.

Not too bad of a bunch this time. Lita Ford was pretty bad, but the other three were decent reads, so I'll put this in the win column, as far as Longbox Junk goes.

Up Next. . .

only knows what my daughter will give me next.
    MORE off-brand one shots!

Be there or be square.

Last edited December 2, 2019 6:01:51 am
  • Posted: December 2, 2019 11:16:53 am
  • Oh, Lita Ford, you were so hot! Not surprising she's featured in a useless comic book put out in 1993. She had long jumped the shark by then.
    Not sure where her nipples went, maybe the wiener dog ate them?
  • Posted: December 10, 2019 3:21:34 am
  • It's Part 3 of Longbox Junk Off-Brand One Shots! Non-DC/Marvel single issue comics chosen for me to review by my comic lovin' daughter!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1774/longbox-junk-off-brand-one-shots-part-3

THE SHORT VERSION (S):

THE ROCK (CHAOS! Comics, 2001 )

I didn't think this would be good. I didn't WANT this to be good. This was pretty good! The hilarious dialogue all the way through is what makes it good.

VERDICT:
    4 out of 5 candy taught their roles.

LADY ACTION SPECIAL (Moonstone, 2009)

A pretty good "infiltrate/ escape/ chase" action story starring a sexy British spy.

VERDICT: 4 out of 5 menacing gunmen.

STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE - LIGHTSTORM (Malibu, 1994)

A good story that reads like a lost episode of DS9 with dialogue that captures the essence and voices of the T.V. characters very nicely, backed up by some borderline bad art.

VERDICT: 3 out of 5 bowls of Gagh (served live, of course)

ENTER THE ZOMBIE (Antarctic Press, 2010)

This comic is like a bag of Doritos. You know it's not great before you even open it up, but before you know it, the whole thing is finished and you want more.

VERDICT: 4 out of 5 poorly-dubbed episodes of One Piece.

This handful of "Off-Brand One Shots" my daughter gave me was actually pretty darn good! Except for the extremely weak art on Deep Space Nine (But that's par for the course on almost ANY 80's or 90's Star Trek comic, to be fair) there's not much bad to say about any of these. That doesn't happen very often.

Up Next. . .

Plenty more Off-Brand One Shots in the pile.
    Let's see what my daughter hands me next!

Be there or be square.

Last edited December 10, 2019 3:22:52 am
  • Posted: December 18, 2019 5:30:21 am
  • Buckle up for a -Tastic edition of Longbox Junk Off-Brand One Shots! Dancing

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1775/longbox-junk-off-brand-one-shots-part-4

THE SHORT VERSION (s):

ONIBA: SWORDS OF THE DEMON #0 (Aspen Comics, 2015)

A surprisingly good story backed up by some excellent artwork!
    Too bad this is all there is of it.

VERDICT: FIVE out of FIVE Yojimbo homages.

WITCH HUNTER #1 (Malibu, 1996)

A lackluster and forgettable relic of the 90's "Bad Girl" trend hanging firmly on the hook of and violence and then not even really getting that right either.

VERDICT: 2 out of 5 Liefeld-Inspired Cybernetic Arms.

ULTRAVIXEN (Hound Comics, 2013)

A pretty good parody of sexy superhero comics that I got a chuckle or two out of. A lot better than I thought it would be from looking at the cover.

VERDICT: 3 out of 5 obvious Power Girl references.

AVENGELYNE/ WARRIOR NUN AREALA (Maximum Press, 1996)

A pretty generic and forgettable crossover that you won't remember 10 minutes after reading it. Just another hook to hang pictures of on.

VERDICT: 2 out of 5. . .I forget what I was going to say here.

LETHAL #1 (Image, 1996)

A boring, unfinished story backed up by art with colors that will make your eyes bleed and gratuitous crotch shots on every second page.

VERDICT: 2 out of 5 mysteriously clingy strips of spandex.

This was a pretty mixed bag. There were some really unexpected surprises to be found in Oniba and UltraVixen, which were both a lot better than I thought they would be, but the rest were pretty forgettable stories hanging firmly on the hook of the lowest common denominators of and violence in the artwork.

Up Next. . .

That's right. MORE off-brand one shots!
    I'm hoping for less and more story this time.

Be there or be square!

Last edited December 18, 2019 5:34:40 am
304 posts • Page 1 of 31
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 56 years, 116 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • DC Black Label's Batman: Curse of the White Knight Issue # 8b
  • Marvel Comics's Immortal Hulk  Issue # 33d
  • Source Point Press's The Fuhrer and the Tramp Issue # 1
  • IDW Publishing's Transformers vs. Terminator Issue # 1