feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 8, 2019 4:03:42 am
  • That's right, people. . .MORE Longbox Junk Halloween Fun! Dancing

Take a look at a relic of Marvel's failed attempt to re-introduce some monstrous anti-heroes back into continuity as a monster-ific superhero team. . .

LEGION OF MONSTERS: WEREWOLF BY NIGHT

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1759/longbox-junk-halloween-horror-legion-of-monsters-werewolf-by-night

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, I liked both of the stories in this one shot, but found the backup to be superior in almost every way to the main feature. If you are a horror comic fan (and aren't a Greg Land hater) then do yourself a favor and keep an eye out for this little Longbox Junk gem in the bargain bin. You won't be disappointed.

Up Next. . .

MORE Longbox Junk Halloween fun.

Be there or be square!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 9, 2019 3:54:52 am
  • What madness is this?

More Longbox Junk Halloween fun? MORE? Shocked

Not only more. . .but it's time for a Retro Review!

Step into the paper time machine with me and travel back to 1963 as I take a look at Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #3.

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1760/longbox-junk-halloween-horror-retro-review-boris-karloff-tales-of-mystery-3-1963

THE SHORT VERSION:

First, I realize this isn't a "Horror" comic at all. I didn't know that coming in. Since Boris Karloff was such an influential figure in the horror genre, I assumed that a Boris Karloff comic would be a horror comic. It's actually more of a "Suspense" comic in the vein of Twilight Zone.

Does that make it a BAD comic? Not really. It's not a great comic by any means, but it has a very nice signature Gold Key painted cover, a really good opening story, and a couple of somewhat interesting features. Unfortunately, the second story isn't very good, which basically puts about half the comic under the bar.

Good taken with bad, I'd have to say this comic is still pretty good and worth picking up if you come across it for a decent price. It's not something I'd really recommend putting effort into hunting down, but I'd also say not to pass it by if you happen to see it.

Up Next. . .

I'm fillin' your pumpkin bucket as full of Halloween Longbox Junk as I can.

Be there or be square!

Last edited October 9, 2019 3:56:33 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 10, 2019 2:57:25 am
  • Is there such a thing as TOO much Longbox Junk?
    Not when it comes to Halloween fun! Shame on you

It's Wild West Horror with Jonah Hex in a Halloween Special that was published in December for some reason!

JONAH HEX (vol. 2) #24

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1761/longbox-junk-halloween-horror-jonah-hex-vol-2-24

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, this story is a really fun departure from Jonah Hex's usual adventures. It has great dialogue, a nice dynamic between the trio of main characters, and some fine art (except for Jonah Hex's face). Because of the one shot nature of Jonah Hex's stories, this one seems rushed and needs a bit more room to breathe, but that's just a small complaint.

If you are a fan of horror comics, western comics, Jonah Hex, or any combination of the three, then pick this one up in the bargain bin if you spot it for an unusual little nugget of gunslingin' Halloween fun.

Up Next. . .

You guessed it. . .MORE Longbox Junk Halloween fun.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: October 15, 2019 2:33:41 am
  • How about some more Longbox Junk Halloween Fun?

Let's take a look at an odd little find. It's a comic book crossover between two "Cult" supernatural television shows. . .Dark Shadows and Kolchak: The Night Stalker!

And if you remember either one of them, then congratulations. . .you're old! Applause

KOLCHAK TALES: NIGHT STALKER ANNUAL #1

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1762/longbox-junk-halloween-horror-kolchak-tales-night-stalker-annual-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

The cover price on this comic is $6.50. That's about six bucks too much. Okay. . .I have to admit the cover is worth the dollar I paid for this, but the rest of it feels like pure money grubbin'.

The first story is a "Crossover" barely worthy of the name. The second story is practically unreadable and is basically page count padding. The whole thing reeks of minimum effort for maximum money.

Unless you are a rabid fan of Kolchak or Dark Shadows that simply MUST have everything to do with one or both properties, do yourself a favor and steer clear of this one. It's a major disappointment.

Up Next. . .

MORE Longbox Junk Halloween fun!

Be there or be square.
  • Posted: October 17, 2019 2:08:07 am
  • How about some MORE Longbox Junk Halloween fun?

Take a look at yet another Halloween special that features a character one wouldn't normally associate with Halloween. . .The She-Devil with a sword, Red Sonja!

RED SONJA HALLOWEEN SPECIAL ( 2018 )

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1763/longbox-junk-halloween-red-sonja-halloween-special

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, despite a bit of confusion on my part as to who this comic is for, I enjoyed it. The first story was well written and the art style spotlights an unusual vision of Red Sonja I'd like to see more of. The second story is quick, light, and features some nice cartoon-style art.

I'd say that if you're a fan of Red Sonja, then pick this one up if you spot it hiding in a bargain bin. I'm not sure that anyone who isn't already a fan will get much mileage out of it.

Up Next. . .

There's still two weeks left before Halloween, so yep. . .MORE Longbox Junk Halloween fun!

Be there or be square.

Last edited October 17, 2019 2:08:28 am
  • Posted: October 22, 2019 1:38:01 am
  • How about some more Longbox Junk Halloween fun?

Join me as I step outside my comfort zone to take a look at the origins of the first Vegetarian Vampire in Count Duckula #1!

Also check out Ed Gosney's look at Count Duckula #2 for a bit of Cool Comics synergy HERE: https://edgosney.com/2019/10/17/houses-both-sinister-haunted-spawn-the-dread-count-duckula/

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1765/longbox-junk-halloween-count-duckula-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

This comic was pretty far outside my usual zone, so I hope I at least did a decent job reviewing it. The bottom line is that, even though it's written for kids, this was a fun read packed from end to end with zany gags. It's not the greatest comic I've ever read, but it's far from the worst. If you spot it in a bargain bin definitely grab it if you have a young kid who likes comics. But be sure to give it a read yourself first!

Up Next. . .

It's still October, so that means MORE Halloween fun!

Be there or be square.

Last edited October 22, 2019 1:39:34 am
  • Posted: October 22, 2019 11:28:43 am
  • Another great Longbox Junk review on a comic many wouldn't consider. The background of the issue makes this worth reading the long version!
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: October 24, 2019 2:16:26 am
  • What's this? MORE Longbox Junk?

No. Shame on you

It's more Longbox Junk HALLOWEEN fun!

RIchard Corben. Edgar Allan Poe. How can it NOT be good?

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1766/longbox-junk-halloween-edgar-allan-poes-the-premature-burial

THE SHORT VERSION:

If you're looking for a good horror comic, look no further. You won't find gore or monsters here, but what you WILL find are two creepy little stories of madness and revenge that use the primal fear of being buried alive as their foundation.

In the first, we have a brilliant re-structuring and re-imagination of what is otherwise one of Poe's less memorable works, turning it from a dry lecture and into an actual story.

In the second, we have more of a straight re-telling of a classic story, but with an outstanding framing device that makes an already great story even better.

In both we have incredible artwork by one of the undisputed legends of comic art.

If you are a fan of horror comics, Richard Corben, Edgar Allan Poe, or any combination of those things, then do yourself a favor and grab this comic if you happen to spot it in the bargain bin. It's pure Longbox Junk Halloween gold.

Up Next. . .

MORE Halloween fun! That's right. . .MORE!

Be there or be square.
  • Posted: October 24, 2019 4:28:18 pm
  • atom said:
    How about some more Longbox Junk Halloween fun?

Join me as I step outside my comfort zone to take a look at the origins of the first Vegetarian Vampire in Count Duckula #1!

Also check out Ed Gosney's look at Count Duckula #2 for a bit of Cool Comics synergy HERE: https://edgosney.com/2019/10/17/houses-both-sinister-haunted-spawn-the-dread-count-duckula/

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1765/longbox-junk-halloween-count-duckula-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

This comic was pretty far outside my usual zone, so I hope I at least did a decent job reviewing it. The bottom line is that, even though it's written for kids, this was a fun read packed from end to end with zany gags. It's not the greatest comic I've ever read, but it's far from the worst. If you spot it in a bargain bin definitely grab it if you have a young kid who likes comics. But be sure to give it a read yourself first!

Up Next. . .

It's still October, so that means MORE Halloween fun!

Be there or be square.

I never knew this was related to Danger Mouse. I watched a few episodes of Danger Mouse when it was on Nickleodeon in the 1980s and it was a very good cartoon.

• Posted: October 28, 2019 3:28:36 am
  • It ain't October 31st yet, so there's still time for a little more Longbox Junk Halloween fun before returning to random business as usual!

Okay. . .you've all seen the cover. It's made plenty of internet "Top 10 WTF Comic Covers" lists. Now take a look inside. You're welcome.

THE UNEXPECTED #202 (DC 1980)

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1768/longbox-junk-halloween-the-unexpected-202

THE SHORT VERSION:

This is a comic that I absolutely love for the cover. That said, what's inside isn't bad at all. If you spot this one for a decent price (as in five bucks or less) then definitely pick it up and enjoy a strange little nugget of Longbox Junk gold.

Up Next. . .

Halloween ain't over until the 31st!
    So there's still a little more Longbox Junk Halloween fun to come.

Be there or be square!
306 posts • Page 1 of 31
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 56 years, 147 days, 7 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Archie Comics Group's Archie Jumbo Comics Digest Issue # 306
  • IDW Publishing's Grimjack: Killer Instinct Issue # 1b
  • Absolute Comics's I Make Boys Cry Issue # 1ck
  • IDW Publishing's Suicide Girls Issue # 1re
CBR.com member auction items ?