feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 28, 2019 3:02:10 am
  • The Longbox Junk is still coming. . .slowly, but surely.

How about a "Retro Review" of a GREAT flea market find?

GREEN LANTERN #87 (1971)

THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1747/retro-review-green-lantern-87-1971

THE SHORT VERSION:

Even though I wasn't particularly pleased with the story that makes this a "Key" issue, I'm still happy to have this comic in my collection. I'm not a big fan of Green Lantern in general, but I can see that this title was taking some interesting directions during this time. Despite its problems, after reading this issue, I'm interested enough to keep my eye out for more of this era's version of Green Lantern/ Green Arrow.

Up Next. . .

Apologies in advance for continued summertime delays (this entry took me FOUR DAYS for ONE issue!), but I'm going to get my first Longbox Junk Reader Request edition out sometime in the next couple of weeks. The end of September can't come soon enough.

Be there or be square!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 5, 2019 2:02:02 am
  • I finally got a slow(ish) day at work and managed to finish the first Longbox Junk Reader Request Edition! Congratulations to MegladonALPHA! Your suggestion is up first.

NIGHTCRAWLER (2002)

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1748/longbox-junk-reader-request-edition-nightcrawler

THE SHORT VERSION:

I was pleasantly surprised by this mini. I came into it expecting quippy acrobatic superhero battles and ended up with a thoughtful meditation on faith in vs. faith in yourself framed by a dark tale of human trafficking and backed up by some interesting art. Completely unexpected, but I liked it a lot. The second issue felt a bit like filler. . .like this could have probably been a 3 issue mini, but that's a pretty minor complaint.

It's not every day a major publisher leans so heavily into religious topics, especially within the world of mainstream superheroes, so for that alone this series is interesting. If you have issues with religion (and especially Judeo-Christian religion) then you'll probably want to pass this one up. If you can tolerate some religion mixed in with your super-heroics, then this dark and thoughtful tale is definitely worth a look.

Up Next. . .

Another random draw from the Reader Request hat!

Be there or be square.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 19, 2019 12:22:54 am
  • It's still pretty busy at work (even this late in the year!), so apologies for the slow pace of Longbox Junk. Just letting you know I'm working on the next Longbox Junk Reader Request Edition and it should be up soon.

Congratulations to Brucifer!
    Your suggestion for American Vampire was the random draw this time out!

Dancing
  • Posted: September 19, 2019 3:39:00 pm
  • Looking forward to your review of this excellent series that no one seems to have read. Great artwork and a neat slant on the tried-and-true vampire mythology.
  • Posted: September 25, 2019 1:46:45 am
  • In my humble opinion, it would make a GREAT AMC series. . .at least the first 5 issues. It's all pretty good, but you can sort of tell they were unsure if the series would become an ongoing, so those first few issues are really tight.

I've been stuck with a "special" project at work (completely re-writing our employee training manual), so it might take a while for American Vampire to get done, but I'm working on it!

Last edited September 25, 2019 1:48:17 am
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 6:00:51 am
  • It FINALLY slowed down enough at work for me to get some Longbox Junkin' done.

Congratulations to Brucifer for drawing the next Reader Request AND giving me the first bit of Longbox Junk Halloween fun!

AMERICAN VAMPIRE (Vertigo, 2010) Issues 1 - 5

THE LONG VERSION (and it's pretty long):

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1755/longbox-junk-reader-request-halloween-horror-edition-american-vampire

THE SHORT VERSION:

If you are a fan of horror comics, vampires, Stephen King, Scott Snyder or any combination of those things, then American Vampire is a MUST read. You will not be disappointed.

These first five issues tell two entertaining stories written in a fast-paced and highly-cinematic style backed up by some of Rafael Albuquerque's best artwork. This is a fantastic introduction to a comic series that presents a fresh take on the tried and true vampire mythos.

It's a shame that this series came out during Vertigo's slow fade from comic stores because it really deserves to be better known than it seems to be. In my extremely humble opinion, the cinematic nature of these two stories make it a perfect fit for television. This story could be and SHOULD be AMC's next great horror series.

Up Next. . .

It's October, and that means it's time for some Longbox Junk Halloween fun!

Work has slowed back down to a tolerable comic readin' and reviewin' pace, so I'm going to be tossing out as many Halloween and Horror-related Longbox Junk entries as I can over the next month.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 12:12:57 pm
  • Atom, I read your short and long review of American Vampire. Great, great job!!

I agree with just about everything you wrote. This ignored series by Snider and Albuquerque (and Steven King) is a fantastic read with gorgeous artwork. I'm still baffled that the value of this Vertigo series is hovering around cover price. Makes no sense to me. Thanks for taking the time to review this book (for me?).

Last edited October 3, 2019 12:13:55 pm
  • Posted: October 7, 2019 2:34:31 am
  • brucifer said:
    Thanks for taking the time to review this book (for me?).

Thanks, glad you liked it. You gave me the suggestion, but Longbox Junk is for everyone who wants to know what's lurking in the bargain bin. It's too bad that American Vampire is in the bargain bin at all!
  • Posted: October 7, 2019 2:38:47 am
  • How about some more Longbox Junk Halloween Horror?

It's a hit series that took a lot of comic fans by surprise, but there might be some people out there who don't even realize this IS a horror comic. It's the first issue in a dark tale of science gone wrong. . .Marvel's Immortal Hulk!

THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1757/longbox-junk-halloween-horror-immortal-hulk-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, what we have here is a fantastic horror-based take on a character that wouldn't seem to have too many surprises left in him, backed up by some amazing art that perfectly compliments the dark story with a great focus on facial expressions.

If you are a fan of horror comics and haven't checked this series out yet because it's a Hulk comic, do yourself a favor and give it a try.

Up Next. . .

More Longbox Junk Halloween fun.

Be there or be square!

Last edited October 7, 2019 2:43:35 am
  • Posted: October 7, 2019 8:15:42 am
  • What a great review for this outstanding comic! I left comments at the site the link in the Cool Comics Facebook group leads to. This is a great way to start off the Halloween season.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
303 posts • Page 1 of 31
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 55 years, 247 days, 19 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Avengers: Infinity Quest Issue # 1b
  • Innovation Publishing's Innovation Solicitations Issue # 1
  • Ocean Comics's Mr. Jigsaw Issue # 1
  • Marvel Comics's X-Club Issue # 1b