feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 10, 2019 3:35:16 am
  • It's a highly collectible and EXTREMELY limited Retro Review variant of the ALL-NEW Longbox Junk!

LONGBOX JUNK #1 SPECIAL COLLECTOR EDITION

Variant G - The Brave and The Bold #175

LINK TO THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1730/longbox-junk-1-special-collector-edition-variant-g-the-brave-and-the-bold

THE SHORT VERSION:

If I had to describe it in one word, that word would be: Decent.

It's not a BAD story. . .but it's also not a very good one. It just sort of hovers in a forgettable grey zone that a lot of DC's late Bronze Age comics inhabit.

Overall, it's the kind of story that nobody remembers. From what I can see from a quick search, as far as I can tell I'm the only person who has ever bothered to review this comic. It's pretty much the definition of Longbox Junk. . .a comic that nobody cares about and sits forgotten until I do a review that nobody ever asked me for.

Up Next. . .

ANOTHER "Retro Review" Variant!

Variant H - Kid Colt Outlaw #175

Steppin' back to 1973 for some rootin' tootin' racism!
    Er. . .I mean. . .Western Action!

DON'T MISS OUT! PRE-ORDER NOW!
    Be there or be square!

Last edited May 21, 2019 2:45:18 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: May 21, 2019 2:44:50 am
  • It's a Retro Review Western variant for the amazing NEW Longbox Junk!

Variant H - Kid Colt Outlaw

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1731/longbox-junk-1-special-collector-edition-variant-h-kid-colt-outlaw

THE SHORT VERSION:

Kid Colt #175 gives the reader two different western comic experiences.

The first is an adventurous "Robin Hood" style outlaw character in some rootin' tootin' western shootin' action. . .which isn't bad, but it's ultimately a pretty forgettable story.

The second is a great example of Golden Age western comic storytelling at its best, with a realistic story backed up by some very nice and gritty art.

Taken together, these two stories form a pretty good comic that still reads well and was pretty enjoyable even so many years after the stories inside were originally published. The stories aren't perfect. . .the main feature seems a bit "by the numbers" and the backup has a LOT of dialogue crowding the panels. . .but I'd definitely say that Kid Colt #175 is worth a read for fans of western comics.

Up Next. . .

Variant I - Hellblazer #175

It's the original Vertigo magic bad boy, John Constantine, in all his "Mature Audiences Only" glory.

Be there or be square!

Last edited May 21, 2019 2:46:44 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: June 4, 2019 2:02:51 am
  • Just finished up with the latest "variant" for the fabulous Longbox Junk #1!
    Only ONE more to go, folks. . .and it's gonna be the best one of the bunch!

Variant I - Hellblazer #175

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1732/longbox-junk-1-special-collector-edition-variant-i-hellblazer

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, I found Hellblazer #175 to be a very enjoyable comic. It's well-written, with some nicely expressive art, and it makes me want to know what happens next. What it does most is REALLY make me miss the Vertigo version of John Constantine.

It's not going to be for everyone. Hellblazer is a "Mature Audiences Only" comic and this issue is no exception (mostly language), it's connected to past AND future continuity, and Steve Dillon is one of those "Love it or Hate it" kind of artists.

Those things aside and generally-speaking, I can recommend this issue as a pretty good jumping on point for those interested in learning more about the "Real" John Constantine beyond the watered-down T.V. and mainstream DC versions.

Up Next. . .

For the LAST "Variant" of LONGBOX JUNK #1 SPECIAL COLLECTOR EDITION I proudly present a premium collectible SIGNED super-secret variant! It's an unrivaled piece of comic reviewing history!

Be there or be square.
  • Posted: June 6, 2019 1:40:59 am
  • IT'S HERE!
    The FINAL "variant" for the All-New, All-Different, Pretty Much The Same Longbox Junk #1! Dancing

Variant X - Premium Blank Odgen Utah Flea Market Signed Exclusive

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1733/longbox-junk-1-special-collector-edition-variant-x-longbox-junk

THE SHORT VERSION:

You want a short version for such a spectacular moment in comic reviewin' history?
    Read the long version, son! READ IT!

Up Next. . .

NOT another Longbox Junk #1 "Variant".

Be there or be square!

Last edited June 6, 2019 1:44:11 am
  • Posted: June 14, 2019 1:27:54 am
  • It's a Longbox Junk Retro Review! YOU'RE WELCOME!

Travel back to 1968 in my paper time machine to take a look at a comic starring the one and only King of Skull Island. . .KONG! Gold Key's King Kong one shot.

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1735/retro-review-king-kong

THE SHORT VERSION:

King Kong is a story that just about everyone already knows. It's a fantastic pulp adventure tale that stands the test of time in its simplicity. It has a defined beginning, a middle, and an end. There's nothing fancy about King Kong.

A few complaints aside, this is overall a good read featuring a classic adventure story that captures the imagination. It's an admittedly well-worn story, but at the end of the day it's a story that is still readable 85 years after it was originally written, and this is a solid illustrated version of that story.

Up Next. . .

More Longbox Junk business as usual.

Be there or be square!

Last edited June 14, 2019 1:31:12 am
  • Posted: June 28, 2019 12:41:32 am
  • My apologies to those looking for their weekly dose of Longbox Junk. During the summer, the hotel I manage is VERY busy, so I tend to get a bit skimpy on the comic reviewin'.

This week has been especially fun, with an interesting mix of a Jehova's Witness convention AND a Drag Queen convention at the same time filling 100% of our rooms and providing me with some. . .challenging. . . situations to deal with. Shocked

ANYWAY. . .

More Longbox Junk coming when I can get the time.

Be there or be square!

Last edited June 28, 2019 12:41:56 am
  • Posted: July 4, 2019 3:01:35 am
  • Happy Independence Day to the fine folk of Comic Book Realm! Dancing

LONGBOX JUNK RETRO REVIEW INDEPENDENCE DAY SPECIAL:
    OUR ARMY AT WAR #295 (DC 1976)

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1737/retro-review-independence-day-special-our-army-at-war-295-1976

I salute this cover! Very Happy

THE SHORT VERSION:

An almost perfect cover, a great opening story, a sorta "meh" one pager, and an average pre-Wikipedia true story info dump.  Overall, I give Our Army At War #295 a B- grade.  Where it's good, it's REALLY good.  The rest of it is just sort of. . .there.

The most disappointing thing about this comic for ME is that, despite that awesome cover, there's nothing in this comic about the Bicentennial or Independence Day in general, which really makes it a somewhat poor choice for an Independence Day Longbox Junk Special. . .but I've already written this much, so there it is.  I ain't a quitter, son! 

All in all, I give this issue a recommendation for fans of war comics based on the main story alone.  It's a fine example of the War/Anti-War stories DC comics were so good at before the genre fizzled out.

Up Next. . .

Back to Longbox Junk business as usual. . .WITH advance apologies for inevitable summer delays.

Be there or be square!

• Posted: July 16, 2019 2:40:48 am
  • Once again, my apologies for summertime delays. Sad

Now THAT's out of the way. . .here's some flag-wavin' Captain America Longbox Junk One Shots for you!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1738/longbox-junk-captain-america-one-shots-part-1

THE SHORT VERSIONS:

BATMAN & CAPTAIN AMERICA
    Marvel/DC (1996)

If you're tired of reading about Gloomy Captain America and Borderline Psycho Batman then this is a great comic that's a rollicking WWII-based throwback to the Silver Age. It's FUN! Remember fun comics?

Final Score: 5 out of 5 AMERICA, HELL YEAH!'s

CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE INVADERS
    BAHAMAS TRIANGLE
    Marvel (2019)

This one is on the stands RIGHT NOW. Nice, fresh Longbox Junk!
    Unfortunately, it has an extremely forgettable story and stiff, unremarkable artwork. In my humble opinion, skip it. Get it from the bargain bin later, but don't pay cover price.

Final Score: 2 out of 5 AMERICA, HELL YEAH!'s

CAPTAIN AMERICA AND NAMOR
    (Captain America Vol. 1 #635.1)
    Marvel (2012)

It's much more of a Namor story than a Captain America story, but that doesn't make it a BAD story. I loved Namor throwing Doctor Doom-style verbal burns on everyone who spoke to him in this one. Great art, too!

Final Score: 4 out of 5 AMERICA, HELL YEAH!'s

And last but not least. . .

CAPTAIN AMERICA/ NICK FURY
    THE OTHERWORLD WAR
    Marvel (2001)

Captain America, along with Sgt. Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos fighting the Dread Dormammu for possession of the Eye of Agamotto during WWII? It's a bit strange, but it's FUN! And the art is fantastic!

Final Score: 4 out of 5 AMERICA, HELL YEAH!'s

A decent handful of Captain America One Shots. Overall, not a bad bunch. Bahama's Triangle was a bit disappointing, but even so it's not COMPLETELY bad. . .just. . .not great. The other three are all good bargain bin picks, with Batman/ Captain America being the best of the bunch and definitely worth hunting down.

Up Next. . .

MORE Captain America One Shots!

*waves flag* Awwwwwwwwww. . .YEAH!

Be there or be square!

Last edited July 16, 2019 2:41:56 am
258 posts • Page 1 of 26
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 52 years, 53 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Black Cat Issue # 2a
  • Valiant Entertainment's Life and Death of Toyo Harada Issue # 5c
  • Viz Media's The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Soft Cover # 5
  • Marvel Comics's Thor Issue # 15b
CBR.com member auction items ?