feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 27, 2019 2:17:29 am
  • Having a bit of fun for a little while with the idea of unnecessary renumbering, reboots and multiple variants to celebrate hitting #175 with Longbox Junk by doing an reboot that nobody asked for. . .with 10 different variants!

LONGBOX JUNK #1 SPECIAL COLLECTORS EDITION
    (Variant A - Conan The Barbarian)

LINK TO THE LONG VERSION:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1719/longbox-junk-1-special-collector-edition-variant-a-conan-the-barbarian

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, this is a great issue of Conan The Barbarian! It has a story that delivers what Conan fans expect, backed up by great art. It doesn't acknowledge at all that it's a "Milestone" issue, but that doesn't take anything away from this comic being a very nice little piece of Longbox Junk that's worth a read if you spot it in the bargain bin.

Up Next. . .

LONGBOX JUNK #1 SPECIAL COLLECTOR EDITION

Variant B - Batman: Legends of The Dark Knight

Be there or be square!

Last edited March 27, 2019 2:20:44 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: March 27, 2019 9:28:15 am
  • Are 175th issues rare? I'm impressed that you and your daughter have 9 of them, as I have just 4 in my collection (a Gold Key Bugs Bunny; IDW's G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero; Captain America from Marvel; and Life With Archie). I think your method of celebrating 175 is perfect for the world of modern collecting and a fantastic homage to your dedication to bringing us reviews we never asked for. No doubt the speculator market will go crazy once Bleeding Cool runs with the story of Longbox Junk, and deservedly so!

Seriously, congrats! This was a great review and I'm excited to see the other 8 you have planned.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: April 3, 2019 3:08:25 am
  • Continuing with my unnecessary reboot and renumbering of Longbox Junk. . .

(Variant B - Batman: Legends of The Dark Knight)

Be sure to collect 'em all! Very Happy

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1720/longbox-junk-1-special-collector-edition-variant-b-batman-legends-of-the-dark-knight

THE SHORT VERSION:

Even though this is the 4th part of a 5 part story and there's absolutely no indication that it's any sort of a "milestone" issue, Batman: Legends of The Dark Knight #175 is a great read. It has a gritty detective-style story that makes me want to read all 5 issues (SPOILER: The final issue is great!), backed up by some pretty good art that features a shining example of silent storytelling at its finest. . .

NICE! Shocked

Overall, this is the kind of great comic storytelling that has me convinced that Batman: Legends of The Dark Knight was the best ongoing Batman series that has ever been published. It's not the best of the series, but LOTDK #175 is definitely a fine little piece of Longbox Junk.

Up Next. . .

Variant C - G.I. Combat

Heading back to 1975 for some Retro Review Haunted Tank fun. . .

Be there or be square!

Last edited April 3, 2019 3:09:17 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: April 3, 2019 2:01:48 pm
  • You make a lot of great points for why LOTDK is such a great Batman title, and I can't disagree with you. I used to buy it, then when I sold much of my collection, we parted ways. I need to pick some of these up, no doubt about it, and issue 175 sounds like a really good one!

One more writer I'm going to name here who didn't make your list (although you did say many more) is Mike W. Barr, considered by many to be one of the great Batman writers. Mike lives in my neck of the woods and we both attend a monthly comic book club. I really appreciate his wealth of knowledge and his opinion, even when I may not disagree with it!

Thanks for another great edition of Longbox Junk!
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: April 3, 2019 9:55:45 pm
  • Well gosh, LOTDK actually did put out that many issues. The silent storytelling reminds me of G.I. Joe (a real american hero vol. 1) #23.
    Looking forward to the G.I. Combat review, being on a bronze age kick right now.
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: April 4, 2019 1:00:26 am
  • edgos2 said:

One more writer I'm going to name here who didn't make your list (although you did say many more) is Mike W. Barr, considered by many to be one of the great Batman writers. Mike lives in my neck of the woods and we both attend a monthly comic book club. I really appreciate his wealth of knowledge and his opinion, even when I may not disagree with it!

Thanks for another great edition of Longbox Junk!

How could I have forgotten the esteemed Mr. Barr! d'oh!

His 80's Detective work pretty much defined MY Batman, since that was when I went from being a casual comic reader to a collector. Not to mention that his "Faith" storyline in Legends of The Dark Knight is one of the standouts of the series.

Last edited April 4, 2019 1:03:20 am
  • Posted: April 6, 2019 2:21:20 am
  • Let's get Retro with the next unnecessary "variant" of my ALL-NEW (yet exactly the same) LONGBOX JUNK #1 SPECIAL COLLECTOR EDITION!

Stepping back to 1975 to take a look at DC's G.I. Combat #175.

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1722/longbox-junk-1-special-collector-edition-variant-c-gi-combat

THE SHORT VERSION:

There's a timeless nature to good war comics that make them one of my favorite genres. G.I. Combat #175 is no exception. It's surprisingly readable and enjoyable for a comic book that's 44 years old. There are a lot of superhero and horror comics from the Silver/Bronze Age that I find almost unreadable. . .they just don't age well.

This isn't the greatest comic I've ever read, but it's an extremely solid example of a good Bronze Age war comic. The first story is packed with great art and has an interesting hidden story-within-a story. The second entry is a pretty good "Twilight Zone Twist" story with a WWII backdrop. Both of them sitting under a very nice Joe Kubert cover. Really. . .what more could a comic fan ask for?

Up Next. . .

Variant D - The Walking Dead

If you're havin' zombie problems he feels bad for you, son.
    Rick's got 99 problems, but a zombie ain't one.

Be there or be square!

Last edited April 6, 2019 2:33:41 am
  • Posted: April 12, 2019 2:38:24 am
  • Here it is, folks! The first Retailer Incentive Variant for the spectacular LONGBOX JUNK #1 SPECIAL COLLECTOR EDITION! Did you get your pre-orders in?

Variant D - The Walking Dead #175

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1726/longbox-junk-1-special-collector-edition-variant-d-the-walking-dead

THE SHORT VERSION:

The Walking Dead (comics and show both) vary wildly in quality. . .swinging from fantastic to forgettable issue to issue (and episode to episode). It's a pretty uneven ride, to say the least. Fortunately, The Walking Dead #175 is one of the more recent high points. It's just a shame that the promise of a new direction sort of fell back into familiar territory as the story went on in the months to come. That said, this is one of the sort of issues that keep me reading this series.

Up Next. . .

Variant E - Spawn

Wait. Cowboy Spawn? Alrighty then. . .

Be there or be square!

Last edited April 12, 2019 2:42:32 am
  • Posted: April 18, 2019 2:26:51 am
  • Shield your eyes, folks! Can you stand the super-shiny Chromium Spawn variant of the spectacular LONGBOX JUNK #1 SPECIAL COLLECTOR EDITION?

Variant E - Spawn #175

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1727/longbox-junk-1-special-collector-edition-variant-e-spawn

THE SHORT VERSION:

Spawn #175 is a pretty good supernatural horror Western story backed up by some simply amazing painted art that looks more like it belongs in a premium graphic novel than in a random comic issue.

I'm not so sure it's a good Spawn story, though. It sort of feels like a filler story patching a hole that doesn't really need patching and ultimately undermining the origin story that I remember from the early issues of Spawn.

Up Next. . .

You want variants? YOU GOT VARIANTS!

Convention EXCLUSIVE Variant F - Superman

The Man of Steel vs. Joker and Doomsday!
    It's the kind of superheroic DC-Tastic fun you don't really see any more.

Be there or be square!

Last edited April 18, 2019 2:27:27 am
  • Posted: May 3, 2019 2:40:20 am
  • Here it is, folks! The coveted LONGBOX JUNK #1 SPECIAL COLLECTOR EDITION CONVENTION EXCLUSIVE SUPER-DUPER RARE VARIANT!

Exclusive Convention Variant F - Superman #175

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1728/longbox-junk-1-special-collector-edition-variant-f-superman

THE SHORT VERSION:

Is this a perfect comic book? No. Even though the crossover parts are fairly small, they still intrude a bit on what is otherwise a great one issue story. But that small complaint aside, I can't find much else wrong to be found here. It's a simple and fast read backed up by some great, colorful comic art.

Look. . .sometimes we comic readers and collectors need to be reminded of the kind of FUN that comic books can be. This is a good issue to get that reminder from. I may not like Superman much, but I'm glad I came across this issue. It's a good one.

Up Next. . .

It's another "Retro Review" Variant!

Variant G - The Brave And The Bold #175

Batman and Lois Lane team up against Metallo!

Be there or be square!

Last edited May 3, 2019 2:41:56 am
301 posts • Page 1 of 31
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 55 years, 37 days, 4 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • JR Comics's Adventures from China: Monkey King Issue # 16
  • IDW Publishing's GLOW vs The Babyface Issue # 3ri
  • Osprey Publishing's Graphic History: Ironclads at War - Monitor vs the Merrimac Soft Cover # 1
  • Titan Comics's Oscar Martin's: Solo - The Survivors Of Chaos  Hard Cover # 1