feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 24, 2019 8:42:36 am
  • It always makes my day when I see another "Longbox Junk" entry posted! And the long version is always the best.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: January 24, 2019 11:40:09 pm
  • Thank you! Likewise, I look forward to Cool Comics In My Collection because it reminds me that collecting comics is supposed to be fun!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: January 31, 2019 2:38:27 am
  • It's another "theme" edition of Longbox Junk!

This time out, video game-based one shots. Take a look. . .

LINK TO THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1710/longbox-junk-video-game-one-shots-special-part-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

A mixed bag with this batch of video game one shots. . .

ALIEN: ISOLATION

Not much of a prequel to the game, but a great Alien comic with some very nice art. Might be a bit hard to find, as it was a convention giveaway.

BLOODRAYNE: LYCAN REX

I was really surprised by how good this one was, especially since the games are kind of bad. Good story, good art. I want to find more now.

DOOM

So hilariously bad that it's good! Doom is "The Room" of comic books!

LEGACY OF KAIN: DEFIANCE

Basically a pre-wikipedia info dump on the complicated story of the previous games in the series. Fantastic art, but not much else to it.

Up Next. . .

MORE Video game-based one shots!

Part 2 of the Longbox Junk Video Game Special:
    Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tomb Raider, and Vigilante 8. . .

Be there of be square!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: February 5, 2019 2:09:47 am
  • I'ts the beginning of the month, so let's interrupt Longbox Junk business as usual for another Retro Review that nobody ever asked for!

I think I outdid myself on the "nobody ever asked for" part this time out. This is the one and ONLY review of this comic that had only one issue and there's VERY little information to be found out there about. . .Cloak and Dagger #1!

No, not THAT Cloak and Dagger. Shame on you

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1711/retro-review-cloak-and-dagger

THE SHORT VERSION:

I liked it. I've definitely read worse comics from the 50's. This one is pretty well-written and generally well illustrated. The coloring was pretty sloppy, but I'm finding that was a fairly common problem in comics from this time.

Truthfully, Cloak and Dagger is a relic of its time, and most of the interest I had in it came from that. It is like a sort of time capsule of the 1950's with its casual racism, xenophobia, paranoia and misogyny that went hand in hand with the Cold War. The normal of then seen through the lens of what is normal now is an extremely interesting thing to me.

Overall, this was a pretty good comic. Is it the best comic I've ever read? No, but it's nowhere close to being the worst. Once again, I'm glad that I decided to start doing these "Retro Reviews" because they give me an opportunity to learn a little more about the comics that I collect and also to pass along a little of what I learn to others.

In the case of Cloak and Dagger, I have the feeling that it was a fairly unique opportunity to present some information that has never really been seen before, and just for that, I'd have to say that this has been one of my favorite reviews to do.

Up Next. . .

Back to Longbox Junk business as usual with some more video game-based one shots.

Be there or be square!

Last edited February 5, 2019 2:10:33 am
  • Posted: February 14, 2019 1:57:37 am
  • Part 2 of the Longbox Junk Video Game One Shots Special!

Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tomb Raider, and Vigilante 8.

Check it out. . .

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1713/longbox-junk-video-game-one-shots-special-part-2

THE SHORT VERSION:

Unfortunately, more bad than good in this batch. . .

MORTAL KOMBAT : KITANA AND MILEENA

Basically pre-internet fan fiction to explain why there's two ninja women with the same abilities, but different colors in an arena fighting video game. Mortal Kombat superfans are the only ones who will get anything out of this.

STREET FIGHTER: REMIX

Not so much a one shot as it is a preview with 4 unfinished story snippets from (then) upcoming ongoing series. Very nice art through the whole thing, but more like something you'd get for free on Free Comic Book Day than a comic with a $3.95 price tag.

TOMB RAIDER: SCARFACE'S TREASURE

Really the only good comic in this batch. THIS is what a one shot is meant to be!
    A great creative team (Geoff Johns doing some earlier non-DC work and Mark Texeira doing his usual great job on pencils) knocks this one over the wall!

VIGILANTE 8: SECOND OFFENSE

I should have known that a comic tie-in to the forgotten sequel to a barely-remembered Twisted Metal copycat game would be bad. And it is.

One good out of four. A damn shame.

Up Next. . .

DOCTOR DOOM! Let's learn how he turned into the gentle man we all know and love.

Marvel's 2006 Books of Doom 6 issue mini.

Be there or be square. . .Doom wills it to be so!

Last edited February 14, 2019 2:02:41 am
  • Posted: February 27, 2019 1:59:45 am
  • Sorry I'm a bit behind on my look at Doctor Doom's origin story. It's been pretty busy at work this past week (a LOT more busy than it normally is this time of year), so I'm still only about halfway done.

It'll get there, though. Be there or be square!

• Posted: February 27, 2019 10:40:29 am
  • It's always worth the wait!
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: March 5, 2019 12:46:06 am
  • It's been super busy at work. . .strangely so for this time of year. . .so I'm a bit behind on my regular Longbox Junk thang. So how about a nice retro review until I get caught up?

Oh no. . .there goes Tokyo!
    Go, Go, GODZILLA!

Step back to 1977 with me and take a look at Marvel's Godzilla, King of Monsters #1!
    Check it out. . .

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1714/retro-review-godzilla-king-of-monsters-1

I LOVE this cover! Very Happy

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by Godzilla #1.

I bought it for the cover, but discovered some decent writing and art inside for a Bronze Age licensed property about a giant rampaging lizard.

It's not the best comic I've ever read, but if you come into ANYTHING having to do with Godzilla expecting great things, you're probably going to be disappointed . .so for what it is, it's really good. It's good enough that if I see more Marvel Godzilla comics lurking in the back issue boxes, I'll probably pick them up.

Up Next. . .

Back to Longbox Junk business as usual as I try to get back on track with the definitive origin of Doctor Doom in Marvel's 6 issue Books of Doom mini.

Be there or be square!

Last edited March 5, 2019 12:46:31 am
  • Posted: March 15, 2019 12:22:35 am
  • Sheesh! I've been doing the work of 3 people spread over 2 different shifts for about a month now Confused. Thankfully, I think the worst of it is past and I can get back to my normal night shift and have some time to throw down some tasty Longbox Junk starting back up next week. Sorry about the delay!

Last edited March 15, 2019 12:23:31 am
  • Posted: March 20, 2019 3:29:52 am
  • Read this comic review nobody ever asked for. . .DOOM WILLS IT TO BE SO!

It's the complete origin story of iconic villain Doctor Doom.
    Marvel's 6 issue "Books of Doom". Check it out. . .

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1718/longbox-junk-books-of-doom

THE (kind of) SHORT VERSION:

If I had to describe Books of Doom in one word, that word would be: Interesting.

To me, this series is a bit of a strange thing. To my knowledge, I don't think any other villain has gotten such a comprehensive origin story. Certainly not one spanning 6 dedicated issues. The closest I can think of is maybe "The Killing Joke" and that was only 1 double-size issue for The Joker!

This series, if nothing else, stands as a testament to the popularity of Doctor Doom. . .so I'll give it credit where credit is due. It's an interesting read with a lot of background information on a popular and entertaining character, Brubaker does a good job of writing it, and there's some REALLY good art to be found here. On the surface, Books of Doom seems to be a winner in every way.

BUT. . .

Yeah. There's always a but.

When I say this series is "interesting", that's not necessarily what I WANT to say about a mini-series focusing on an over-the-top megalomaniac supervillain like Doctor Doom. Yes, it's well-written. Yes, the art is great. Those are the saving graces of this series because truthfully, 80% of it reads like an illustrated version of the Doctor Doom Wikipedia page. In the hands of a different creative team, this probably would have been a disaster.

There are stretches of extremely wordy exposition that feel like the information being presented and compiled into a single comprehensive form is more important in the long run than any story being built around it. The narrative for most of this series is "This happened, and then this happened, and then this happened".

In other words. . .it's interesting.

So overall (in my extremely humble opinion), this series is great for learning the background of Doctor Doom. Unfortunately, it isn't a great Doctor Doom story. Knowing that coming in just makes it better all around. Books of Doom isn't bad by any means. I found the ending to be fantastic, and there are good moments scattered throughout, backed up by consistently great artwork. Just know that most of it reads like a well-written illustrated research paper on a fictional character.

Up Next. . .

THIS WAS POST #175 FOR LONGBOX JUNK!

I missed 25, 50, 100 and 150. . .so I feel like celebrating somehow on this one.

I KNOW! I'll take a page from Marvel and make the NEXT entry #1!

That's right! The next post will be LONGBOX JUNK #1!

With a selection of extremely collectible variant covers. . .including a 1:5000 super-premium blank cover! Awwww, yeah! Get your pre-orders in, folks.

Be there or be square!

Last edited March 20, 2019 5:50:18 am
255 posts • Page 1 of 26
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 51 years, 340 days, 11 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Warren Tufts's Ford / NFL: Punt, Pass & Kick Competition Issue # 10
  • IDW Publishing's My Little Pony: Spirit Of The Forest Issue # 2
  • Aspen Entertainment's Soulfire Issue # 1d
  • Image Comics's Spawn Issue # 297 - 2nd print