feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 24, 2018 1:16:35 am
  • Classic movie monsters battle it out in another Longbox Junk Halloween special.
    Image's Frank Frazetta's Dracula Meets The Wolfman. . .check it out!

LINK TO THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1673/longbox-junk-halloween-frank-frazettas-dracula-meets-the-wolfman

THE SHORT VERSION:

On the one hand, you have an extremely fast-paced story centered around an epic battle between two classic creatures, illustrated in cinematic style by one of the best artists in the business (in my EXTREMELY humble opinion).

On the other hand, you have a story that ends too quickly and feels unfinished, that is illustrated in a rough and sketchy manner. . .making the whole comic feel like it was done in a hurry.

Overall, despite its faults, Dracula Meets The Wolfman is a decent little piece of Halloween Longbox Junk. There's not really much to it, but what IS there is a quick, fun read. Don't pay full price, but go ahead and pick it up if you can find it cheap.

Up Next. . .

October ain't over yet. There's still a bit more Halloween fun to come.

Be there or be square!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 25, 2018 1:25:12 am
  • The Longbox Junk Halloween party is STILL going strong! Dancing

Marvel Zombies Halloween. . .check it out!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1674/longbox-junk-halloween-marvel-zombies-halloween

THE SHORT VERSION:

Despite some gaping plot holes, I found this Halloween Special to be surprisingly entertaining and it even sticks the landing nicely at the end by bringing in some parent/child emotion that rings true and was a bit unexpected in a zombie story. The gritty, realistic art really helps sell the somewhat ridiculous premise. Overall, this isn't the best story I've ever read, but it's not bad and definitely worth a read.

Up Next. . .

How about another Longbox Junk Halloween Retro Review?

Step back in time to 1973 for some good B-Movie fun with. . .THE THING CALLED KILLDOZER!

Be there or be square.

Last edited October 25, 2018 3:50:26 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 26, 2018 2:52:21 am
  • More Longbox Junk Halloween fun! I love October. Dancing

Let's do another Retro Review. . .

Travel back with me to 1973 and sample some delicious cheese: KILLDOZER!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1678/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-worlds-unknown-6

THE SHORT VERSION:

If I had to describe this comic in one word, that word would be: Workmanlike.

The story is simple in a "this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened" sort of way. It moves from start to finish in a steady, predictable line. The art is also steady and predictable. It's not bad. . .it's not great. It just rides right down the middle line of telling the story, but not trying too hard to stand out in any way.

Truthfully, the cover is the best part of this comic.

The rest of it is just sort of. . .there.

Up Next. . .

There's still a bit more Longbox Junk Halloween fun to be had!

Be there or be square.

Last edited October 26, 2018 2:59:29 am
  • Posted: October 27, 2018 2:18:39 am
  • This Halloween party's not over just yet!
    I'm packin' a few more in before the end of the month.

Wildstorm's Friday The 13th: Abuser and The Abused. Check it out!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1679/longbox-junk-halloween-friday-the-13th-the-abuser-and-abused

THE SHORT VERSION:

I was surprised to find myself liking this as much as I did. It's not a long story, and it's definitely NOT a story for kids. . .There's a hefty helping of sexual innuendo, barely-contained , foul language and buckets of blood packed into this single issue. . .adults only on this one. The story, short as it is, is an interesting character study on the nature of human monsters.

The art on this comic is simply outstanding in my opinion. It has a great throwback style that was really unexpected and eye-catching. I wouldn't have thought that a golden age homage style would fit a story like this, but it somehow manages to in a big way.

Overall, this is a very short, very fast read with an interesting premise and great art. It's an unexpected little gold nugget of Longbox Junk. Pick it up for the art alone if you can find it.

Up Next. . .

October ain't over until it's over.

There's a few more bits of Longbox Junk Halloween fun left.

Be there or be square!

Last edited October 27, 2018 2:20:55 am
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 2:16:24 am
  • And now for the final piece of 2018's Halloween Longbox Junk!

Yeah, yeah. . .I know. It's November 1.

Work sort of got in the way of my fun. I actually planned on posting 2 more entries before the 31st. This is the only one I managed to finish. Sad

Dark Shadows Retro Review! Check it out. . .

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1681/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-dark-shadows-6

THE SHORT VERSION:

What we have here is an obvious cash grab. From the completely unrelated photo cover, to the story so completely propped up by coincidence that it almost becomes comedy, to the extremely workmanlike and borderline bad art. It's plain to see that there wasn't much real effort put into this comic.

It's really sort of a shame, because the elements of a really cool 4 way classic monster vs. monster battle are there for the taking. Vampire vs. Mummy AND Werewolf vs. Evil Sorcerer. How can that go wrong? Unfortunately, the creative team on this comic FOUND a way to make it wrong. I have 6 issues of Gold Key's Dark Shadows in my collection. I picked this one because it looked like a lot of fun on a flip through. I sort of wish I had picked another one now.

Up Next. . .

Back to Longbox Junk business as usual!

I sort of noticed during my Halloween party that I need to up my Marvel comics game a little bit, so how about we spend November in the Marvel Universe?

Let's start with some Moon Knight!

Shadowland: Moon Knight 3 issue mini.

Be there or be square.

Last edited November 1, 2018 2:17:46 am
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 10:20:27 am
  • Moon Knight you say? I'll be there and I'll be square. Thanks Atom.
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 10:28:33 am
  • Yep, interested in that as well. One of the MK series I don't have yet, and that is still quite affordable.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 2:34:54 am
  • I'm getting into some Mainstream Marvel superhero comics for a while.

Kicking things off with some Moon Knight!
    Shadowland: Moon Knight 3 issue mini. . .check it out.

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1684/longbox-junk-shadowland-moon-knight

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, this is a great Moon Knight story backed up by fantastic art. Unfortunately, it's also part of a crossover and those elements distract from the story that is actually being told. . .especially in the second issue.

Looking beyond the Crossover, we get Moon Knight trying to discover what kind of hero he really is. . .and we find out that he's the kind of hero that will kill if he has to, but that doesn't mean he has to like it.

If you are a Moon Knight fan like I am, I can definitely say that it's worth a look. You just have to sort of grit your teeth through the crossover elements that intrude into the Moon Knight story you actually want to read.

Up Next. . .

More Merry Mainstream Marvel!

X-Men: Phoenix - Endsong 5 issue mini.

Be there or be square!
  • Posted: November 16, 2018 2:00:28 am
  • I interrupt Longbox Junk business as usual for a small tribute to Stan Lee by taking a look at something a little different than what most people are going to be thinking of when it comes to his work. . .

Silver Surfer: Parable 2 issue mini. Check it out!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1688/longbox-junk-silver-surfer-parable

THE SHORT VERSION:

Basically, this is not so much a Silver Surfer vs. Galactus story as it is a parable illustrating the conflict between organized religion and humanistic agnosticism. If that sentence made you grit your teeth a little, then this comic is probably not going to be for you.

BUT. . .

If you want to see a side of Stan Lee that isn't often on display, paired up with one of Europe's finest artists for a one-time collaboration, then this story is definitely worth a look.

This is an unusual story, to be sure. And it's not for everyone. But you can feel the spirit of Stan Lee in this story as he uses the comic medium that he loved so much to give us the message that you don't need to be good, you just need to choose to be good to each other. To me, that's as fine a memorial to the late, great Stan "The Man" Lee as any.

Up Next. . .

Back to Longbox Junk business as usual.

Be there or be square!

Last edited November 16, 2018 5:20:22 am
  • Posted: November 23, 2018 2:04:53 am
  • I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving!

I'm continuing to force myself to read some Marvel Mainstream Superhero comics, so here's about as Mainstream Marvel as you can get. . .The X-Men!

X-Men: Phoenix - Endsong 5 issue mini. Check it out!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1692/longbox-junk-x-men-phoenix-endsong

THE SHORT VERSION:

For someone who is not a fan of the X-Men, I found Endsong to be a surprisingly engaging story, with fantastic art, plenty of action and an emotional punch at the ending that really sticks the landing.

Is it perfect? Not at all. There is some obvious trade padding to bring what should be a three issue story up to five issues with an unnecessary subplot. It's firmly rooted in the convoluted X-Men continuity, so it's not very friendly to non-X fans such as myself. There's a major focus by the artist on extremely sexy women that's somewhat questionable.

But despite those few faults, I enjoyed this story a LOT more than I thought I would. I'm not sure how this story was received by X-Men fans, and it's not going to make me an X-Men fan, but I'm glad my daughter tossed this one my way when I asked her for an X-Men story to review. It's not the greatest comic story I've ever seen, but it's definitely worth a read, whether you're an X-Men fan or not.

Up Next. . .

More Merry Marvel Mainstream Madness!

Marvel Age: Team Up 5 issue series.

Fantastic Four! Captain America! Kitty Pryde! Thor! Storm!
    All teamed up with your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

Be there or be square!
480 posts • Page 1 of 48
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Keenspot Entertainment's Biden's Titans vs Trump's Titans Issue # 1c
  • Hero Tomorrow Comics's Punchline and the Vaude-Villains Issue # 1-2nd print
  • Marvel Comics's War Machine Issue # 3b
  • Marvel Comics's What If? Venom Issue # 3btc/ce